Old 18 September 2023, 16:40   #1

Town: Burnaby, BC
Make: Rendova
Length: 3m +
Looking To Repair UV Damage

Our 2003 Rendova 11 foot tender came as a package deal with the mothership, and I didn't give it much thought aside from thinking it was a really cool little boat. I still do.

But I'm starting to notice the surface damage from years of exposure. The boat was kept in a sheltered slip for most of its life, but one side of the tender kinda stuck out the end. Consequently some of the surface is crumbling away. Especially on this blue patch.

Just to get an idea of where my focus should be, do you think that blue patch is decorative or structural? As in is it sitting on top of the white tube, or did they actually jigsaw that whole thing together from different pieces? The latter sounds like bad workmanship, and I'm hoping they didn't go that route. If it's only decorative, then at least the underlying surface should be sound.

The surrounding white tube is in better condition, but it's deteriorating along the edge of the blue patch. Under bits of flaking paint, I can see what might be shallow cracks, or it may just be the texture pattern of the material. I'll have to look again.

Any recommendations or tips for a top coating? I heard Flexithane is good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230917_134549.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	143699   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230917_104517.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	143700  
Old 18 September 2023, 17:18   #2

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Honda BF15
Looks like its just an overlay on top of the tubes. It would be cheaper to make it like this than to use multiple panels.

Given the condition too, it's unlikely it could hold air if it was the only skin. You could probably pop out one of your valves and have a look from the inside.
Old 18 September 2023, 17:22   #3

Town: Burnaby, BC
Make: Rendova
Quote:
Originally Posted by User name View Post
Looks like its just an overlay on top of the tubes. It would be cheaper to make it like this than to use multiple panels.

Given the condition too, it's unlikely it could hold air if it was the only skin. You could probably pop out one of your valves and have a look from the inside.
Good idea. I have an endoscope.
Old 19 September 2023, 04:15   #4

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
The paint on crap I have seen is well...crap. Use PVC over the top and Stabond to bond it. First removing the old layers that are in bad shape. A heat gun gets the job done. This will be a lot of work though.

https://www.nrs.com/aire-pvc-kayak-material/p8qc
https://www.nrs.com/stabond-adhesive/pkjz

Tags
repair