Old 02 September 2011, 10:59   #1

Length: 8m +
Log Book

Morning Guys,

This question is more out of interest than anything else.

When and Why would a boat keep a log book? Is it for your own records/knowledge? Or something more important than that?

I understand plotting your route in advance and and making notes about that route. But I don't understand why you'd log your course/heading AFTER the event?

I could just be ignorant

Cheers!
Alex
Old 02 September 2011, 11:11   #2

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Strangely, I was having this conversation over a pint the other night with some fellow ribnetters. I keep a record of my trips mainly for personal interest, but I also maintain a record of anything that's failed or gone wrong or needs sorting as a bit of a maintenance log. I also feel it might be helpful to a have a contemporaneous record of my passages and mileage in case I ever need it for a future qualification.

I always fill mine out after the event though and don't record bearings or pilotage matters. It also acts as a good record of fuel usage so you can work out where all your hard earnt lucre has gone.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 September 2011, 11:20   #3

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
I keep a note of most of my trips. Espically if I have had guests on board. It may be useful to prevent insurance claims in the future
Old 02 September 2011, 11:37   #4

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Also can be used as evidence of experience if you end up doing the advanced powerboat exam.
Old 02 September 2011, 11:47   #5

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Gives you a good idea how many engine hours that your doing ,
i used to keep a very detailed log when i had the fishing boat but now thats gone i just keep brief notes ,though still log times of any of my radio converartions that i may have or anything that may be of intrest or sightings near accidents that you may witness ,
Old 02 September 2011, 12:38   #6

I never realized the log book would count towards the Advanced PB Qualification. Which I do intend to do at some point. As per my other thread yesterday.

Cheers guys!
Old 02 September 2011, 12:52   #7

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
I think on larger ships it also helps when watch is changed - there is a history of what has happened over the last watch so the active crew know what happened.

I keep a summarry of distance / fuel kind of thing, and dump the track from my Garmin to the PC as well, saving it with the date as the name, so if I really need gory details they are avaialble.
Old 02 September 2011, 12:53   #8

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwilson View Post
I never realized the log book would count towards the Advanced PB Qualification. Which I do intend to do at some point. As per my other thread yesterday.

Cheers guys!
It doesn't necessarily. The examiner needs to satisfy himself that you've got the experience. A tatty old log book with plenty of details that's clearly been filled in over a period of time is going to be a big help in doing that though.
Old 02 September 2011, 14:30   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Alex,

On an open fast boat keeping a "ships log" as you go along is not always practical, but as you've heard above a lot of people are keeping some sort of log for their own / evidential purposes that they complete after the event.

Traditionally a ships log has been a useful tool on vessels undertaking reasonably long passages to help with tracking where you are - heading, speed and time, allow you to "dead reckon" a position based on a known starting point. To some extent the modern world of GPS navigation may have reduced the need for this but electronics are not infallible, particularly on a bouncy open boat.

A log which records fuel usage is also helpful in both determining fuel consumption and, as you go along, in estimating the endurance you have left. On a short trip you might get away with these things in your head, but over 5 or 6 hours you can start to forget details, and especially gradual changes.
Old 02 September 2011, 14:41   #10

Cheers Polwart. Makes perfect sense.

It's peculiar in that its not a hard concept, but just doesn't occur to you (or me, in this case).
Old 02 September 2011, 15:48   #11

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
I always keep a log, though it's rudimentary compared to my big ship and sailing days and the events of the day are usually filled in at the end of the day's passage. I record times of departure, significant features on the way and arrival times. Fuel, distance, speed, crew, etc. too.

Also every new relevant weather forecast broadcast from the Coastguard.

I know my usual cruising grounds very well. However, before departure each day I note departure point and intended destination, tide times, weather forecast, and make a note of my general intentions. In unfamiliar waters I go into more detail. This counts as a 'passage plan' which, I understand, is required for anyone going to sea, not just the professionals. Should anything untoward happen during your trip, the passage plan will help put you in good light with any involved authorities. (I hope)
Old 02 September 2011, 16:11   #12
Redbay supporter

Town: onn de moov
Boat name: bote
Make: kevvin
Length: 4m +
Engine: jett dryve
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwilson View Post
When and Why would a boat keep a log book?
wen heez carryin loggs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	loggbote.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	62270  

Wher doo I beegin?😃
wiLlfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 September 2011, 17:51   #13

Town: Llangefni
It gets used a lot on club boats (yachts especially); on boats I've been on it's been a mandatory club requirement, partly for insurance/liability purposes so if anything does go wrong there's an official record. But also if you hand the boat over at the end of your usage with a record of how much fuel you went through and any funny local conditions or problems/breakages on the boat and what you did to fix them etc that's hugely useful to the next crew out.