Old 18 January 2022, 09:48   #1

Town: Malmesbury
Boat name: Wheres Dorris
Make: OCEAN
Length: 6m +
Engine: EVINRUDE ETEC 150 G1
Launching options near Eastbourne

Hi all,

We have a junior sailing evening coming up in April out of Pevensey Sailing club. The sailing club is providing a number of ribs, but being a junior event we need/want to launch more. Pevensey have a process by where they beach launch over the shingle on a couple of trailers with big floatation tyres on a winch which they use on their 5.0m ribs, however the process of getting boats off their road trailers and onto the launch trailers is time consuming.

A couple of the ribs we take around are longer (6.25m and 6.5m) and a couple are 5m. I wondered if there was somewhere within a few miles we could potentially launch the bigger ribs on a trailer slip and head around, leaving the space and time for the smaller boats to be launched by the Pevensey crew using their tried and tested method.

I understand the marina will crane in/out, but charges a premium and only Monday to Friday only, which adds a couple of nights mooring and accommodation which blows the budgets.

I'd be grateful of any local knowledge or ideas.
Old 19 January 2022, 19:11   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takson View Post
Hi all,

We have a junior sailing evening coming up in April out of Pevensey Sailing club. The sailing club is providing a number of ribs, but being a junior event we need/want to launch more. Pevensey have a process by where they beach launch over the shingle on a couple of trailers with big floatation tyres on a winch which they use on their 5.0m ribs, however the process of getting boats off their road trailers and onto the launch trailers is time consuming.

A couple of the ribs we take around are longer (6.25m and 6.5m) and a couple are 5m. I wondered if there was somewhere within a few miles we could potentially launch the bigger ribs on a trailer slip and head around, leaving the space and time for the smaller boats to be launched by the Pevensey crew using their tried and tested method.

I understand the marina will crane in/out, but charges a premium and only Monday to Friday only, which adds a couple of nights mooring and accommodation which blows the budgets.

I'd be grateful of any local knowledge or ideas.

And I’ll correct evening to event…..

It is for the two days, so all ribs likely to be I. The marina overnight.
Old 19 January 2022, 21:35   #3

Make: Ballistic 6.5
Hoist launching at sovereign harbour is a faff and expensive. You could launch from a slip at Newhaven and motor round. Simpson marine is one option there. They are always really helpful when we have used them. easy slip and they do all the launching. Need to launch and recover at high tide + - 3 hours ish.
40 minute trip on a good day. Needs to be a good day, Beachy Head can be pretty rough.
Old 27 January 2022, 16:24   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary222 View Post
Hoist launching at sovereign harbour is a faff and expensive. You could launch from a slip at Newhaven and motor round. Simpson marine is one option there. They are always really helpful when we have used them. easy slip and they do all the launching. Need to launch and recover at high tide + - 3 hours ish.
40 minute trip on a good day. Needs to be a good day, Beachy Head can be pretty rough.
Thank you Gary, very useful info.