Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 23 July 2006, 18:53   #1

Length: 6m +
Hydraulic Steering - What to get?

Having spent 4 hours greasing the cable steering and outboard saddle on Greyhound, I've decided to change the steering.

First option was to buy another no feedback steering cable. Cheaper in initial outlay yes, however I have the following issues. One is it will always be cable steering, it will always be heavier than Hydraulic (which on a training boat is not a good thing, as the three ladies that were on a course in Greyhound last week will attest), and two is I simply do not think I will be able to re-run a steering cable through the under console channels, as it is damn tight in there. I suspect trying this would take up a ridiculous amount of time, and as they say, time is money.

So, I have decided to go Hydraulic (sorry Pete7!). Looking at my options now, Vetus do the following two kits that I hope may be suitable:

http://www.chandlery.net/products/405050.html
http://www.chandlery.net/products/405052.html

On them, they say that you have to work out the steering torque of the outboard. It's a 115hp Yamaha 2 Stroke V4 - does anyone know the torque or how I could work it out?

Finally - anyone got any other suggestions as to steering kits I should be looking at? Ideally for about a fiver...
Old 23 July 2006, 19:31   #2

This also looks to be a good price - but the description is a little lacking, so I may give them a bell in the morning:

http://www.aquafax.co.uk/html/produc...n.asp?ID=17631
Old 23 July 2006, 19:37   #3

Town: Liverpool
Length: 10m +
check the usa site out for the specs

http://www.uflexusa.com/start.html
Old 23 July 2006, 19:50   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavour
check the usa site out for the specs

http://www.uflexusa.com/start.html
Cheers, I'm not sure if the steering kit on their website is the same as the one on the Aquafax site. I think I'll probably give Aquafax a call in the morning, with a view to driving to Hamble if I need to.
Old 23 July 2006, 21:27   #5

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Whatever you get make sure it's not too many turns lock to lock. I don't care about heavy steering - I DO care about having to turn the wheel 6 times to get anywhere. I am now looking at changing my hub unit for a better "geared" one.
Old 23 July 2006, 22:11   #6

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Agree with Codprawn here - low geared steering is a right pain on a RIB, where you have one hand on the throttle and one hand to steer and this won't give enough lock.
I expect the forklift boys will now start to advocate those clamp-on 'spinners' which you see on e-bay. Never tried one on a RIB, but I suppose they may work ok.
Old 24 July 2006, 07:35   #7

Cheers Cod and Dai, what I think I will do is buy a standard unit and pump for the now, and upgrade later if time and money allow.

Will probably also buy a spinny thing!
Old 24 July 2006, 08:58   #8

Just phoned Aquafax - very helpful people. The kit in question includes the following:

6m of hose: http://www.aquafax.co.uk/html/produc...s.asp?ID=14720
1x Side Mount Cylinder: http://www.aquafax.co.uk/html/produc...s.asp?ID=17379
1x 20cc Helm Unit: http://www.aquafax.co.uk/html/produc...s.asp?ID=17380
2 litres of Hydraulic Steering

All sounds good, and it's a good price - I do also have enough room for a side mount cylinder so that's ok. Question from learned people - presumeably I would also need a tie bar?
Old 24 July 2006, 09:09   #9

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
I had a spinner for a short while on my Ribcraft 4.8 and found it to be a right pain - kept getting caught on the lifejacket.

Had the Baystar system on the 5.85 - seemed like a good system.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2006, 09:13   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribald
I had a spinner for a short while on my Ribcraft 4.8 and found it to be a right pain - kept getting caught on the lifejacket.
Mmm, worth considering. At least I can take it off if it all goes pete tong!

Quote:
Had the Baystar system on the 5.85 - seemed like a good system.
Yes, it looks good, but $$
Old 24 July 2006, 11:46   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo
Cheers Cod and Dai, what I think I will do is buy a standard unit and pump for the now, and upgrade later if time and money allow.

Will probably also buy a spinny thing!
It is NOT an upgrade type thing!!! The different geared units should be the same price. Just get the fastest one they do.
Old 24 July 2006, 12:30   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
It is NOT an upgrade type thing!!! The different geared units should be the same price. Just get the fastest one they do.
Just had that conversation with Aquafax - it's a higher capacity pump basically.

Vetus wanted £488 for the kit, at trade price which is well ott, so I'm off to Aqaufax I think. the only bit I don't like is that it's a side arm not a central arm, but I cant actually see a problem with that?
Old 24 July 2006, 13:14   #13

Quote:
Just had that conversation with Aquafax - it's a higher capacity pump basically.

Vetus wanted £488 for the kit, at trade price which is well ott, so I'm off to Aqaufax I think. the only bit I don't like is that it's a side arm not a central arm, but I cant actually see a problem with that?
Have a look at this

http://www.lymingtonmarinesales.co.u...e_steering.htm

I have a hydrive on my boat and it's great - except for the 6 turns lock to lock - it's like driving a bloody destroyer!!! See what prices they can do - there may well be cheaper places around - do a lot of Googling.
Old 24 July 2006, 13:42   #14

Just tried speaking to a few people regarding hydraulic steering. Why oh why do people think 5 or 6 turns is fine on a sports boat. I would far rather say 2.5 or 3 turns - yes it would make the steering heavier but my mates 6 yr old can quite happily spin the wheel at the moment.
Old 24 July 2006, 14:24   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Have a look at this

http://www.lymingtonmarinesales.co.u...e_steering.htm

I have a hydrive on my boat and it's great - except for the 6 turns lock to lock - it's like driving a bloody destroyer!!! See what prices they can do - there may well be cheaper places around - do a lot of Googling.
Codprawn, thanks very much for finding this for me, very kind. I gave them a bell, and they were looking at about £450 for a kit. I do prefer their "central" hyudraulic unit to the side mount ones, but at the end of the day £300 to Aquafax is a lot cheaper, especially as I need a new steering wheel too!
Old 24 July 2006, 14:27   #16

Am now also waiting for BHG marine to phone me back with a price. I'm really impatient with this sort of thing, I just want to be able to walk into a shop and buy a kit for a bargain price!
Old 24 July 2006, 15:23   #17

I think on recommendation Baystar is the only way to go. Ron Hale have it in stock for a good price, so I am off to buy...!
Old 24 July 2006, 15:29   #18

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
Quote:
I think on recommendation Baystar is the only way to go. Ron Hale have it in stock for a good price, so I am off to buy...!

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2006, 16:08   #19

Quote:
Glad you said that - I now need any advice, and sage tips on fitting and bleeding a hydraulic system...
Old 24 July 2006, 16:11   #20

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Glad you said that - I now need any advice, and sage tips on fitting and bleeding a hydraulic system...
easy to fit, just two pipes but take it back to ross to get them to bleed it for you using their machine, saves a lot of fuss and bother

you should have detailed instructions to follow for the fitment and need to ensure it has the correct spaces and bits for your engine fitment