Old 18 February 2011, 05:16   #1

Town: santa barbara
Boat name: sandy bottom
Make: avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20 horse
Hoist Lift Points

Does anyone know how strong the lift points are?

I have a Avon Rover 3.40 RIB and I’m trying to get it certified so that i can use a hoist at a local pier. The boat failed the inspection because I had no information on the amount of weight the three lift points are rated for. They didn't like that the backing plates for the lift points were not visible (if there are any).

Does anyone know any information or a way to make it stronger?

Any info greatly appreciated
Old 18 February 2011, 07:58   #2

Town: Oakham
Boat name: Blue Wave
Make: XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 115
I have a 280 which I bought new over 20yrs ago. I don’t think they called them Rovers then but they seem to be pretty well the same.

I ordered a 3 point lifting kit with it which was I think an Avon part but not factory fitted. I don’t think they gave factory fitting as an option.

From what I recall this kit comprised of backing plates machine screws washers and the eye. I drilled three holes through the hull, sealant, backing plate on the outside of the hull, washers and then the eye. Quick and easy! The backing plates, from what I can remember, are about 10cm x 5cm but I can check some time next week if you want.

I can’t recall any certification coming with the kit but as I mentioned this was over 20 years ago.

The Rib was used as a tender and we would use these lifting points to attach a wire strop and then lift the rib onto its cradle on deck. The rib itself is very light but we would have a fuel tank, various safety kit and some water bottles permanently stored in it. Sometimes we would lift it with a yam 8 2st still attached. I never had any concerns over this.

If your lifting points don’t have these backing plates it could be that they are Avon factory fitted (have you tried contacting Avon) or that they are retro fitted by somebody else and may not be lifting points at all but just eyes for securing loose bits of kit.

Hope this helps

Jon
Old 18 February 2011, 18:31   #3

Town: santa barbara
Boat name: sandy bottom
Make: avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20 horse
Jon

A kit like you bought is probably what I need to pass the inspection. I think you’re right about the lift points being factory fit. They seem to be heavy duty from the top but since the backing plates are not visible I’m not sure how much weight they can hold. They aren’t the eye-bolt style they are up-side down horse shoe shaped hoops that extend from the floor. I’ll see if what Avon knows about them.

Thanks for the info

Cory