Old 29 November 2003, 17:09   #21

Town: West Wickham
Boat name: Aries IV
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Etec 250
MMSI: 235036477
What is a "an Asimuth fluxgate compass" and how does it difer from the err...other ty

Brian,

Pete 7 is, of course correct. However, the Azimuth is supposed to be designed to military specification (at least that's what the marketing blurb said when I bought mine).

It has quite a few levels of electronic damping, which it certainly needed, as my last boat was not anywhere near as comfortable as a RIB at the same speed, having a medium Vee.

I particularly liked the large display and the ability to off-set it for ease of reading. The sensor is built in, although it is also possible to get a remote sensor version. It has the usual NMEA 0183 output to interface with other kit.

The full name is "KVH Azimuth 1000". I think a good place to look is probably www.kvh.com but if I try it now, I shall have to re-input my post, so I'll leave it to you!

The only problem that might present itself on a RIB is somewhere to put it, as the base diameter is 15.9cm and it's 7cm high (dome-shaped).

"Swinging" it is fun - you have to drive round in a circle once or twice and that's it! If it "thinks" that it can improve accuracy next time you are going round in circles, it will do so automatically!

I would be interested to hear what you think, if you decide to buy one. I shall certainly get one for Aries III when it is built - not for while yet, unfortunately.

Regards,

Chris.
Old 29 November 2003, 17:33   #22

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Interesting description, Chris.

Daniel had one of these on Grayswish: http://grayswish.rib.net/kvh.htm (mounted on the single width console - also see http://grayswish.rib.net/technical.htm for a picture of the installation)

BTW if you use the "preview reply" button you can check a link in the middle of typing as the www address is opened in a new window, then close the "child" window and scroll down the "parent" window to continue typing.
Old 29 November 2003, 23:12   #23

Thanks Richard - Good to hear from you!

I have now checked the link. It is the right site, although you will need to go in a couple of levels to locate the compass.

Best wishes,

Chris.
Old 30 November 2003, 08:58   #24
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Azimuth Compass
Well thanks for the gen. gentlemen, the KVH 1000 certainly looks the dogs.
One thought has struck me though!

I would want to use it in anger, in the event my GPS Plotter went whoopsie.
A probable cause of that would be some form of electrical problem which may effect that compass too i.e. deprieve it of power and it goes into a sulk.
In which case I would have nothing to steer by would I?
"Normal" compasses are non-electrical and therefore immune to this type of failure. I realise I can defer to my various hand helds, the mark one eyeball, my nose and my vast and extensive experience, but the probability is that I would need to install both types of compass to be on the safe side, right?
Old 30 November 2003, 12:15   #25

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian
I would need to install both types of compass to be on the safe side, right?
Right !
Old 30 November 2003, 12:53   #26

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian
Azimuth Compass
A probable cause of that would be some form of electrical problem which may effect that compass too i.e. deprieve it of power and it goes into a sulk.
Is it not likely that the electrical problem that caused the compass to fail would also stop the engine from running, thereby making your compass unnecessary, and your vhf inoperable!!!
Old 30 November 2003, 19:49   #27

I would need to install both types of compass to be on the safe side, right?

This is what I did previously and will most likely do the same on my next boat.

The facility to offset the Azimuth display means that you can still have the magnetic compass directly in front of you. I can't say that I previously experienced any interference on account of the compasses being closer than recommended, but this might vary from boat to boat.

As for all of the electrics going down together, I don't really see why this should occur. Isn't this is the sort of idea that is usually put about by yachtsmen! Has anyone on the forum experienced this?

I would suggest that a far more likely reason for GPS going down is poor geometry between the satellites, making an accurate and stable fix illusive. Or what about extreme sun spot activity (as happened recently)?!

Chris.