Old 14 July 2021, 08:25   #1

Town: Appledore
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Damaged tubes

Hi folks, couple of questions: the bumper strip has started coming away on one of the tubes I tried repairing it with sticks like shit... Which didn't work. I've been advised to use sikaflex, is this the right advice, and further can I use acetone to clean the hypalon, or should I use something else?

Thanks in advance.

Si.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1270.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	138116   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1269.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	138117   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1268.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	138118  
Old 14 July 2021, 10:45   #2

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
You could use G-flex flexible epoxy for this. I posted West Systems instructions in this thread:
identifying material of painted tubes

Others will be along soon with other glue recommendations.

P.s. acetone will be fine
Old 14 July 2021, 11:28   #3

Town: Pembroke
Boat name: Rapscallion
Make: Humber Destroyer 6.0
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-TEC 150
Definitely don't use Sikaflex, won't last long and will make a hell of a mess. You need to use a specific Hypalon adhesive (check your tubes are actually Hypalon). Available from Ribstore amongst others. Ribstore also has a few helpful "how to" videos on tube repairs and will advise you over the phone if needed. Getting the tubes and rubbing strake scrupulously clean and well abraded is key. As Limecc says, acetone is fine to clean and degrease.
Old 14 July 2021, 13:48   #4

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Personally i wouldnt mess with that ,just take it to a hypalon tube guy ,should be simple repair ,i would question if that was attached properly in the first place ? doesnt look that old ,surely £100 would sort ??
Old 14 July 2021, 16:52   #5

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
Personally i wouldnt mess with that ,just take it to a hypalon tube guy ,should be simple repair ,i would question if that was attached properly in the first place ? doesnt look that old ,surely £100 would sort ??
If everyone took that attitude no one would ever do any diy. Some tube companies repair costs start at £250 minimum so I doubt £100 would get it done anytime soon . Probably needs the strake taking off right to one end to give it half a chance. Bostik 2402 or equivalent is whats needed definitely not sikaflex or sticks like. Plenty of info on henshaws website or polymarine for repair info toluene is the thinners you need but you need to sand all the old glue & sticks like down to fresh hypalon
Old 14 July 2021, 18:06   #6

Town: Pembroke
Boat name: Rapscallion
Make: Humber Destroyer 6.0
Engine: E-TEC 150
Agree with Beamishken here..... Its not that difficult to do properly and there's a certain satisfaction in learning to maintain your own kit.... IMHO
Old 14 July 2021, 20:46   #7

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
If everyone took that attitude no one would ever do any diy. Some tube companies repair costs start at £250 minimum so I doubt £100 would get it done anytime soon . Probably needs the strake taking off right to one end to give it half a chance. Bostik 2402 or equivalent is whats needed definitely not sikaflex or sticks like. Plenty of info on henshaws website or polymarine for repair info toluene is the thinners you need but you need to sand all the old glue & sticks like down to fresh hypalon
Thats a very good point !! i have been diy er and a perfectionist all my life until i had the misfortune to loose the sight in my left eye thru keratoconus this does change your outlook when you just cant quite get something right ! i have used local people for various jobs which have become pretty succesful outcomes athough relieving me of a little folding .
with regard to this particular repair i think it is important that the boat looks maybe hypalon which would make the strake maybe epdm or pvc ? this is the major variation to the normal gluing procedures which is why my thoughts were to go pro !
Am off for my first visit since lockdown to the dentist tommorow ,now theres a diy thought
Old 17 July 2021, 12:45   #8

Boat name: Wakey
Make: Tornado
Engine: Mariner 75 2 stroke
Youtube is your friend in this situation.
Old 17 July 2021, 15:43   #9

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
It's possible to do this as a DIY job, but I'd remove the entire rubbing strake, then get an abrasive wheel flap attachment for a drill and remove all the old glue, on the rubbing strake and the hypalon tube. Be meticulous. Use Frog Tape or similar to mask areas for a professional finish. Temperatures are spot on just now (out of direct sunlight), in well ventilated area for gluing with low humidity.

Will be a two person job, but start at bow and work back. As a contact adhesive you get one shot, but the masking tape provides the guide. A wallpaper table or such like will be useful for supporting the rubbing strake for gluing.

Preparation is everything, so sand, mask, degrease. Also ensure tubes are at operating pressure.

After 24 hours, you can use Tuolene or similar to remove any excess glue, but there shouldn't be any, as its 2-3 light coverings on the tube and rubbing strake.
Old 17 July 2021, 21:46   #10

So is it just the strake that failed or is it the joint behind the strake?
Old 19 July 2021, 07:28   #11

Town: Appledore
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastasfox View Post
So is it just the strake that failed or is it the joint behind the strake?
Just the strake
Old 19 July 2021, 10:18   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simontrigger View Post
Just the strake
Manufacturers use a two part glue (Bostik 2402)
So I would go down that route. Plenty of youtube tutorials out there.
Clean off what old glue you can with acetone ( but not a nail varnish remover..it has oil's in it.) Any left over material can be removed with a drill and flappy wheel sander ( you have to go very very lightly and don't burn through to the fabric weave) having cleaned both strake and tube you then give both one coat of the glue and allow to completely dry...then you to give both a second coat and as it goes tacky you the begin to re-attach....best done with the help of a friend.
Be organised..have everything ready and remember it's a powerful contact adhesive..so be sure to place with care.
Good luck.
Old 22 July 2021, 09:20   #13

Town: London
Boat name: Blaster
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 5.5
Engine: Honda BF150
It’s easy but time consuming

I have re-done all my wear patches on a Humber Ocean Pro 5.5m and added a line of teardrop rubbing strikes under the existing rubbing strike as I want to add a cover on clips.
The job is stupid and simple, time consuming.
I removed all the old wear patches with heat gun and MEK.
Cleaned the glue with MEK and special drill mounted brushes (you buy them from ribstore or henshaw etc. Just Google hypalon glue cleaning brush.
Sanded down with 60 grit by hand both the tubes and patches
Cleaned with MEK many times till the rag becomes clean.
Used the Bostik 2402 two parts glue
One coat as primer, wait 30 min
Second coat and wait 3-5 min and glue.

If you have to glue only the rubbing strike, get a piece of tarp each side of the boat so you can prime and put the second coat next to the boat otherwise if you transport them from some desk or other place you can accidentally get the bits stuck together and this will ruin your job, clean and start over.
You lay your rubbing strikes each side of the boat, sanded down with grinder flap disk to make them very rough, clean with acetone or MEK, prime both boat and rubber, wait 30 min, second coat and glue them starting from the bow.
It will hold very well if correctly done. Don’t forget to tape your tubes to avoid spreading the glue everywhere, cut the brush half length to make bristles rigid and always wear nitrile gloves so you don’t leave fingerprints on the glues, it will compromise the bond.
I recon your job is a one day work. You will need only 1L of glue, this is about £22.00 posted. Split it in half, one half for priming, one for gluing. Easy

Tags
tubes