Old 25 June 2005, 17:22   #1

Town: London
Make: Larson
Length: 7m +
Engine: Volvo D4 260hp DP
Cobra Nautique 8.6m

Cobra Nautique 8.6m, does anyone know of these to comment on, is it OK for a RIB beginner? and if so is anyone able to suggest on the best engine set up for this RIB?

Thanks,
Old 25 June 2005, 17:55   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Cobras are stunning boats - well made with very good resale - really well thought out for the leisure market. Dave Picton the builder has been in the boating game for many years and is a really nice bloke.

Only little drawback I have heard is that the hull isn't quite as deep a V as some so not so good in REALLY rough stuff - depends what you want to use it for.

As to Engine if it is an outboard from what people say I would go for an Evinrude Etec 250hp or a Mercury Verado - personally I think the Etecs are simpler so a better choice.
Old 27 June 2005, 21:12   #3

Seems these are not very popular by the lack of replies so I had better look for something else
Old 27 June 2005, 21:54   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteb
Seems these are not very popular by the lack of replies so I had better look for something else
Not at all - just don't seem too many on here with them!!!
Old 28 June 2005, 00:47   #5

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Back in the midsts of time

I remember a certain poster getting very vocal about how unsafe RIBS were for families and how that we were all not safe and irresponsible about the safety of our passengers, crew, kids etc. He also sought a lot of advice which was freely offered until he started rubbishing those that gave it to him.

So Pete are we going through this again or are you genuinely interested in folks advice this time round? I wouldnt want this to be an UNHAPPY experience!

In the spirit of helpful advice....I have done a bit of boating on the Cobra 7.5m. As Codders says they are a relatively shallow V and I found that it slammed a lot in any sea. It will be more capable than you Glastron though . Build quality was good, however there were some design failings in my mind. For example the full width bench seat on the stern only had a couple of piddly little drain tubes under it to clear any water that came onboard. Once stuffed and filled to the brim (as inevitably happens from time to time) it was very difficult to clear the water from the deck.

Frankly there is only one true course for a discerning Gent such as yourself. Thats to go to Lymington and cross Mr G Jelly's palm with a vast amount of silver and have him build you a 8.5m (or thereabouts) Scorpion. You will get the best in performance and build quality which will hold its value and give you hours of pleasure. Yes they are bloody expensive but for a man of your means that clearly wont be a problem.

Scorps are also more stylish than the more workmanlike ribs which I suspect will appeal. However should you not be a follower of the one true path, those Shearwater RIBS look nice but bit of an unknow quantity. Otherwise the 8.5m Ocean is a serious bit of kit, with a small cuddy cabin. I have a couple of friends with them and they cruise them extensively.

And of course as you know, those big Redbays are very serious bits of kit and well worth a look.

Submitted for your consideration and damnation.
Alan
Old 28 June 2005, 18:50   #6

Alan, nice to hear from you Safety, yes still very much an issue for me but as my daughter is now nearly four and a half decent swimmer I feel a bit better about it. There was no way I was taking a baby on a RIB! so times have moved on

As for the boat, thanks for your comments, they are appreciated and will be taken into consideration. As for the Scorpion it looks a nice boat, but I would only pay 2/3rds maximum for something like that. RIBS are so overpriced it is sickening, but then they are not made in vast numbers like cars or even Land Rovers , so the work that goes into them reflects that I guess. I like good value and something that will do the job, so what is out there that would be similar say to a Land Rover Defender, A no nonsense RIB for a no nonsense person?

Thanks
Old 28 June 2005, 18:54   #7

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
As in all things there is a market price and for well engineered and built RIBS its high. But thats what the market will bear - Scorpion are not short of orders so can charge the prices they do. You might consider a secondhand one, for example Mark Wildey's 8.75m for sale in the boats for sale forum. For no-nonsense Landrover type RIBs my thoughts would be Ribcraft or Ocean.
Old 28 June 2005, 18:58   #8

Yes I understand the market, I just wish it wasn't the way it was then I would buy one I'll research the Ribcarft and ocean, but I think I will have to befriend some ribsters and try some of these out, they are a bit of an odd bunch so it's not that easy
Old 28 June 2005, 21:53   #9

I would say the resale on the Cobras is very good - you don't often see s/h ones and they sell really quickly. As a family Rib i would say they are ideal - unless you really want to use them in the really rough stuff.

Build quality is great and so is the layout - better than a Scorpion I would say although they don't handle quite as well.

Visit BOTH factories and look at the boats - it's the only real way!!!
Old 28 June 2005, 23:07   #10

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
If you're looking at Ribcraft and Ocean then don't forget Redbay, Excalibur and Tornado.

www.redbayboats.com
www.excaliburribs.com
www.ribs.co.uk (Tornado)

Rumour has it an experienced trans-atlantic ribber will be taking a Redbay over the big pond to Canada next yr. That is testament enough to their ability.
Old 29 June 2005, 07:56   #11

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
I might know where theres a nice 9.1m Redbay that may be for sale.
Andy
Old 02 July 2005, 20:52   #12

Gary can you PM me some details fo the Redbay please just out of interest.

What about the Humber RIBS I see they are doing 30% off for direct sales, is that a con or a good deal?
Old 02 July 2005, 21:24   #13

Town: Swinton Manchester
Length: 5m +
Send a message via AIM to Graham H
Its a good deal thats how I bought mine
Graham
Old 02 July 2005, 22:28   #14

Thanks Graham, I will look into it further