Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 03 July 2020, 02:45   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5
Bow Cushions

Hi All.

Have a 6.5M rib with a front deck area and I would like to build an area to put on some cushions in front of suicide seat. Pictures will probably help and I will get some over weekend. I could put cushions on the deck (have a small inspection hatch at front for anchor that needs access)or build a platform to raise the cushions, which would be my preference. Not sure there is another depth to have storage underneath, so it could just be a frame for cushions. Any thoughts on where to approach or is this something that I can tackle myself? Anybody done the same? The hull is BWM from early 2000's, so going back to manufacturer isn't an option.
Thanks, Paul
__________________

__________________
pjevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 July 2020, 03:10   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjevo View Post
Hi All.



Have a 6.5M rib with a front deck area and I would like to build an area to put on some cushions in front of suicide seat. Pictures will probably help and I will get some over weekend. I could put cushions on the deck (have a small inspection hatch at front for anchor that needs access)or build a platform to raise the cushions, which would be my preference. Not sure there is another depth to have storage underneath, so it could just be a frame for cushions. Any thoughts on where to approach or is this something that I can tackle myself? Anybody done the same? The hull is BWM from early 2000's, so going back to manufacturer isn't an option.

Thanks, Paul


Excellent idea - Iíve thought about doing the same, thought I had was using some kind od pedestal support to bow cushions upholstered onto plastic board/ foam, so it rests on bow locker, maybe something on fibreglass where suicide seat is ... interested to see your ideas
__________________

__________________
xpertski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 July 2020, 04:47   #3
Member
 
pilotwillie's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Cesa
Make: Osprey Viper
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 100hp 2s
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 200
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjevo View Post
Hi All.



Have a 6.5M rib with a front deck area and I would like to build an area to put on some cushions in front of suicide seat. Pictures will probably help and I will get some over weekend. I could put cushions on the deck (have a small inspection hatch at front for anchor that needs access)or build a platform to raise the cushions, which would be my preference. Not sure there is another depth to have storage underneath, so it could just be a frame for cushions. Any thoughts on where to approach or is this something that I can tackle myself? Anybody done the same? The hull is BWM from early 2000's, so going back to manufacturer isn't an option.

Thanks, Paul


Couple of big outdoor bean bags
__________________
pilotwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 July 2020, 04:48   #4
Member
 
pilotwillie's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Cesa
Make: Osprey Viper
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 100hp 2s
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 200
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjevo View Post
Hi All.



Have a 6.5M rib with a front deck area and I would like to build an area to put on some cushions in front of suicide seat. Pictures will probably help and I will get some over weekend. I could put cushions on the deck (have a small inspection hatch at front for anchor that needs access)or build a platform to raise the cushions, which would be my preference. Not sure there is another depth to have storage underneath, so it could just be a frame for cushions. Any thoughts on where to approach or is this something that I can tackle myself? Anybody done the same? The hull is BWM from early 2000's, so going back to manufacturer isn't an option.

Thanks, Paul


Couple of big outdoor bean bags
__________________
pilotwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 July 2020, 07:20   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 698
Sounds like you are more thinking of a sun deck rather than seating
__________________
xpertski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 July 2020, 07:44   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertski View Post
Sounds like you are more thinking of a sun deck rather than seating
Yes - I think it would be expensive to build seating and you would need multiple cushions to cover. Would be nice though.
A sun deck could be an easier and lower cost solution. Waterproof bean bags could also be a great option!
__________________
pjevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 July 2020, 15:27   #7
Member
 
neil.mccrirrick's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,094
Iíve just had a bow locker pit in by mike whitham lovely job and the. Cushion made to fit on top. When I can find some pics Iíll post
__________________
I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there.
neil.mccrirrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 July 2020, 15:33   #8
Member
 
neil.mccrirrick's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,094
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5150_Original.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	133900Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5151_Original.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	133901
__________________
I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there.
neil.mccrirrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 July 2020, 02:22   #9
Member
 
gtflash's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,560
For seating they are great. We use two infront of console, the tube have handles there and the teens sit there. They appear very safe as they are down low and protected.
__________________
gtflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 July 2020, 04:01   #10
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,878
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.mccrirrick View Post
That is one nice addition Neil!....Top job
__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 July 2020, 05:00   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 698
This is kinda the idea I thought a new sunpad could be created in the bow area, using a pedestal method ... Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0858.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	133921Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0859.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	133922
__________________
xpertski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 July 2020, 15:44   #12
Member
 
A1an's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Fort William
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F80
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,435
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.mccrirrick View Post
Tidy!!
__________________
There is a place on this planet for all of Gods creatures.........right next to my tatties and gravy.
A1an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 July 2020, 07:58   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertski View Post
This is kinda the idea I thought a new sunpad could be created in the bow area, using a pedestal method ... Attachment 133921Attachment 133922
That's almost where I want to get to. However, the challenge is that I don't have anything to put cushions on - I have a flat deck, so this would need to be built. Lovely to have this configuration, but I think it will be costly to have built out of fibreglass and I don't require storage, although nice to have! I am thinking is there any way to, at a reasonably cost, to build a small platform to raise cushions of deck? Marine wood painted white?
__________________
pjevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 July 2020, 08:49   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjevo View Post
That's almost where I want to get to. However, the challenge is that I don't have anything to put cushions on - I have a flat deck, so this would need to be built. Lovely to have this configuration, but I think it will be costly to have built out of fibreglass and I don't require storage, although nice to have! I am thinking is there any way to, at a reasonably cost, to build a small platform to raise cushions of deck? Marine wood painted white?


Or use more pedestals / have a stainless steel frame made up that supports the cushion platform which fixes to the floor? The earlier post shows a bow locker could be created to help with a platform - no idea of cost though
__________________
xpertski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 July 2020, 17:01   #15
Member
 
Striker's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 7m +
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 66
Iíd be wary of having bow seating too high. You want to feel enclosed by the tubes when sat there. Another thing to consider is that larger bow cushions would need a good securing system as the vortex coming across the bow will try to lift them. - mine are a pain when they suddenly lift and try to escape overboard at speed.

Depending on what space you have or depth of tube etc. Could you not have extra thick cushions at deck level? My kids tend to kneel in the bow holding onto a line I tie between the bow cleats. Extra thick padding maybe quite welcome when pounding across waves.
__________________
Striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 05:55   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker View Post
Iíd be wary of having bow seating too high. You want to feel enclosed by the tubes when sat there. Another thing to consider is that larger bow cushions would need a good securing system as the vortex coming across the bow will try to lift them. - mine are a pain when they suddenly lift and try to escape overboard at speed.

Depending on what space you have or depth of tube etc. Could you not have extra thick cushions at deck level? My kids tend to kneel in the bow holding onto a line I tie between the bow cleats. Extra thick padding maybe quite welcome when pounding across waves.
Perfect - exactly what I want. I want them raised a little 5-10cm purely so they don't get wet from any water in boat. Just now need to find a manufacturer who can make a cushion from my measurements!
__________________
pjevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 15:25   #17
Member
 
gtflash's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,560
My aft cushions were poppers. Always escaped at speed. I used “lift the dot” poppers to fix it. They only release in one direction.
__________________

__________________
gtflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.