Old 03 July 2020, 07:45   #1

Length: 6m +
Bow Cushions

Hi All.

Have a 6.5M rib with a front deck area and I would like to build an area to put on some cushions in front of suicide seat. Pictures will probably help and I will get some over weekend. I could put cushions on the deck (have a small inspection hatch at front for anchor that needs access)or build a platform to raise the cushions, which would be my preference. Not sure there is another depth to have storage underneath, so it could just be a frame for cushions. Any thoughts on where to approach or is this something that I can tackle myself? Anybody done the same? The hull is BWM from early 2000's, so going back to manufacturer isn't an option.
Thanks, Paul
Old 03 July 2020, 08:10   #2

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Engine: 140hp suzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjevo View Post
Hi All.

Have a 6.5M rib with a front deck area and I would like to build an area to put on some cushions in front of suicide seat. Pictures will probably help and I will get some over weekend. I could put cushions on the deck (have a small inspection hatch at front for anchor that needs access)or build a platform to raise the cushions, which would be my preference. Not sure there is another depth to have storage underneath, so it could just be a frame for cushions. Any thoughts on where to approach or is this something that I can tackle myself? Anybody done the same? The hull is BWM from early 2000's, so going back to manufacturer isn't an option.

Thanks, Paul

Excellent idea - I’ve thought about doing the same, thought I had was using some kind od pedestal support to bow cushions upholstered onto plastic board/ foam, so it rests on bow locker, maybe something on fibreglass where suicide seat is ... interested to see your ideas
Old 03 July 2020, 09:47   #3

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Cesa
Length: no boat
Quote:
Hi All.

Thanks, Paul

Couple of big outdoor bean bags
Old 03 July 2020, 09:48   #4

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Cesa
Length: no boat
Quote:
Hi All.

Thanks, Paul

Couple of big outdoor bean bags
Old 03 July 2020, 12:20   #5

Sounds like you are more thinking of a sun deck rather than seating
Old 03 July 2020, 12:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertski View Post
Sounds like you are more thinking of a sun deck rather than seating
Yes - I think it would be expensive to build seating and you would need multiple cushions to cover. Would be nice though.
A sun deck could be an easier and lower cost solution. Waterproof bean bags could also be a great option!
Old 03 July 2020, 20:27   #7

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Engine: 225 optimax
I’ve just had a bow locker pit in by mike whitham lovely job and the. Cushion made to fit on top. When I can find some pics I’ll post
Old 03 July 2020, 20:33   #8

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Engine: 225 optimax
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5150_Original.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	133900Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5151_Original.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	133901
Old 04 July 2020, 07:22   #9

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
For seating they are great. We use two infront of console, the tube have handles there and the teens sit there. They appear very safe as they are down low and protected.
Old 04 July 2020, 09:01   #10

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.mccrirrick View Post
That is one nice addition Neil!....Top job

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 July 2020, 10:00   #11

This is kinda the idea I thought a new sunpad could be created in the bow area, using a pedestal method ... Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0858.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	133921Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0859.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	133922
Old 05 July 2020, 20:44   #12

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.mccrirrick View Post
Tidy!!
Old 07 July 2020, 12:58   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertski View Post
This is kinda the idea I thought a new sunpad could be created in the bow area, using a pedestal method ... Attachment 133921Attachment 133922
That's almost where I want to get to. However, the challenge is that I don't have anything to put cushions on - I have a flat deck, so this would need to be built. Lovely to have this configuration, but I think it will be costly to have built out of fibreglass and I don't require storage, although nice to have! I am thinking is there any way to, at a reasonably cost, to build a small platform to raise cushions of deck? Marine wood painted white?
Old 07 July 2020, 13:49   #14

Quote:
That's almost where I want to get to. However, the challenge is that I don't have anything to put cushions on - I have a flat deck, so this would need to be built. Lovely to have this configuration, but I think it will be costly to have built out of fibreglass and I don't require storage, although nice to have! I am thinking is there any way to, at a reasonably cost, to build a small platform to raise cushions of deck? Marine wood painted white?

Or use more pedestals / have a stainless steel frame made up that supports the cushion platform which fixes to the floor? The earlier post shows a bow locker could be created to help with a platform - no idea of cost though
Old 09 July 2020, 22:01   #15

Length: 7m +
I’d be wary of having bow seating too high. You want to feel enclosed by the tubes when sat there. Another thing to consider is that larger bow cushions would need a good securing system as the vortex coming across the bow will try to lift them. - mine are a pain when they suddenly lift and try to escape overboard at speed.

Depending on what space you have or depth of tube etc. Could you not have extra thick cushions at deck level? My kids tend to kneel in the bow holding onto a line I tie between the bow cleats. Extra thick padding maybe quite welcome when pounding across waves.
Old 10 July 2020, 10:55   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker View Post
I’d be wary of having bow seating too high. You want to feel enclosed by the tubes when sat there. Another thing to consider is that larger bow cushions would need a good securing system as the vortex coming across the bow will try to lift them. - mine are a pain when they suddenly lift and try to escape overboard at speed.

Depending on what space you have or depth of tube etc. Could you not have extra thick cushions at deck level? My kids tend to kneel in the bow holding onto a line I tie between the bow cleats. Extra thick padding maybe quite welcome when pounding across waves.
Perfect - exactly what I want. I want them raised a little 5-10cm purely so they don't get wet from any water in boat. Just now need to find a manufacturer who can make a cushion from my measurements!
Old 11 July 2020, 20:25   #17

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
My aft cushions were poppers. Always escaped at speed. I used “lift the dot” poppers to fix it. They only release in one direction.