RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
Polwart - re age: duty of care and legal definition child is under 18 for the PVG. yes they can do all you say but it's not the club putting them in that situation...
The Childrens (Scotland) Act defines Child as a person who has not yet reached their 16th birthday. Disclosure Scotland have a rather odd situation where they define children as <18 but adult as >16! However Disclosure Scotland's advice is that their requirements do not apply to "Children who are in work (whether paid or voluntary)", i.e. your rescue crew. However PVG is about protection from individuals with a known history of harmful behaviour not about potential "damage" from an emotional event.

If you base it on age then overnight people become eligible - whereas if you have subjective criteria on maturity and responsibility then nobody wakes up suddenly OK to do a job they were not ok for yesterday. I wonder if your "arbitrary" age criteria will be seen as justified when age discrimination law eventually applies to sailing clubs?
Old 11 October 2011, 21:53   #42

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
5th page indeed! Thank you for your feedback on this matter, it is very helpful. I think I am going to suggest we trial a propguard, (may even have a go at fabricating one myself), if only to eliminate it. Zapcats are running them apparently with no ill effects, although tey are usually running at speed and jumping, where a glancing blow is the risk rather than slow chugging where it can chomp away at limbs and things.
We will also contact the manufacturers and see if we can get access to a decent sized demo Jet outboard to see how well they work. The jet could be an ideal answer if it has enough poke to cope. If successful, the entire growing RIB fleet could all be equipped with them. Looks as though we are about to order 2 more new 6.5 metres for next season (pending the budget getting approval).
Old 12 October 2011, 11:38   #43

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
The age thing is a funny one regarding legislation & what you are allowed to do at certain ages.

I know people who at school behaved, thought & acted like 40 year olds, likewise as I get older I am seeing more who are 40 and...well....lets just say "Kevin & Perry"......

That sort of stuff you just can't legislate for. As is well known - No matter how idiot proof you make something, someone will come up with a better idiot.

Philosophy aside, I'd be really interested to hear how the jet trial works.
Old 12 October 2011, 15:47   #44

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
If the manufacturers play ball, I will certainly publish our findings.
It could open up a new market for them here?