Old 22 August 2023, 18:46   #1

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
Best Fire extinguisher

Please forgive me if this is an old topic, but extinguishers move on quite quickly both in technology size and ability. I have a 6 m rib with the centre console Stephen position and plenty of space and storage.
In your opinion and I hope not experience, what type of extinguisher is best suited to a petrol driven rib with an outboard, and where might be the best location to keep it, self obvious answers perhaps, but I’d welcome differing opinions to my own.
Old 22 August 2023, 19:55   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I’ve fitted a Firetrace system inside the consoles of all my boats. In addition I have a dry powder incase of an incident elsewhere on the boat.
The Firetrace covers the electrics/fuel lines/filters under the console. The dry powder lives under the helm seat.

https://www.firetrace.co.uk/
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 23:19   #3

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
I have AFF extinguishers on mine. An auto in the engine bay and a portable one in the cockpit.
Old 23 August 2023, 07:22   #4

Town: Frinton-on-Sea
Boat name: RibRoulete
Make: Highfield
Engine: Honda 150 FBW
MMSI: 232043399
I have one of these under the front console https://firesafetystick.com along with a dry powder in the rear locker. Im not a huge fan of heavy steel cylinders rattling around on a rib that gets bumped about. Especially one that is pressurised and prone to rust, also makes a serious mess if used in anger or by accident that and they are actually quite ineffective in my experience.
Old 23 August 2023, 08:15   #5

Town: Kingussie
Boat name: Puffin
Make: NorthCraft / XS
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 60
MMSI: 232019541
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhill View Post
I have one of these under the front console https://firesafetystick.com along with a dry powder in the rear locker. Im not a huge fan of heavy steel cylinders rattling around on a rib that gets bumped about. Especially one that is pressurised and prone to rust, also makes a serious mess if used in anger or by accident that and they are actually quite ineffective in my experience.

Yep I have a Firestick clipped to the console - never used in anger - small size - long running - can be thrown into enclosed space and continue to work while you are elsewhere ?

Seems like a good solution on a small boat.
Old 23 August 2023, 18:43   #6

Town: Billericay
Make: SR 5.4
Engine: Evenrude E-tec 90
I have a fire blanket.
Old 23 August 2023, 18:44   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave Rider View Post
I have a fire blanket.
Not sure how much use that would be on an open boat. Are they water prof & will they keep you warm without combustion?
Old 23 August 2023, 18:55   #8

Town: Billericay
Make: SR 5.4
Engine: Evenrude E-tec 90
My thoughts were that it would work in any weather if I was quick before fire got too big. Once the rusty fire extinguisher runs out you have had it. Hopefully none of us will have to use our plans.
Old 23 August 2023, 18:58   #9

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Well I’ve carried an extinguisher for years now sibling again I’m not convinced it’s any good my risk assessment is console fully fused and cut off switch battery melt down possible No extinguisher going to put that out but the ogin would cool it bucket available, engine fire you would need to open the cowl to get the extinguisher in that means leaning over the engine or from the side to do that so fire blanket wrapped around as tight as possible disconnect the fuel and cool again with the ogin plus extinguisher on the border of red green set it off wouldn’t put a candle out.
Old 24 August 2023, 04:32   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Well I’ve carried an extinguisher for years now sibling again I’m not convinced it’s any good my risk assessment is console fully fused and cut off switch battery melt down possible No extinguisher going to put that out but the ogin would cool it bucket available, engine fire you would need to open the cowl to get the extinguisher in that means leaning over the engine or from the side to do that so fire blanket wrapped around as tight as possible disconnect the fuel and cool again with the ogin plus extinguisher on the border of red green set it off wouldn’t put a candle out.
Not a chance in hell I’d be cuddling an engine holding a fire blanket around it. The recognised procedure for any outboard fire is to keep it running while discharging dry powder in the air intake smothering the fire. Never remove the cowling!
Old 24 August 2023, 06:10   #11

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhill View Post
Not a chance in hell I’d be cuddling an engine holding a fire blanket around it. The recognised procedure for any outboard fire is to keep it running while discharging dry powder in the air intake smothering the fire. Never remove the cowling!
Fair point but a fire blanket would offer protection seeing you would only be arms length away from the outboard, chip pan fire comes to mind
Old 24 August 2023, 06:24   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Fair point but a fire blanket would offer protection seeing you would only be arms length away from the outboard, chip pan fire comes to mind
Theres little protection form the risk of petrol igniting