Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 03 May 2011, 10:52   #21

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Here's a couple of examples of what I was talking about earlier.......

The trident bods also appear to do a launch trolley that will take a SIB, and may even mate with one of their road bases......

http://ukhbbr.wordpress.com/how-to-d...e-built-boats/

http://www.tridentuk.com/sailing/pro...KTELRRCAN.html

And yes, if you want it in the car boot, you'll need a SIB. Just be aware that on the likes of fleabay, people call SIBS RIBS, and there are some small Avons out there that look like a SIB at first glance but have a fibreglass floor!
Old 03 May 2011, 11:23   #22

Town: Cornwall & Dorset
Length: no boat
Ahh thanks for that, I was getting a bit confused when looking at them on ebay.

One thing I've noticed from looking at the ribs for sale page on this, and on ebay, is that there doesn't seem to be many inflatables for sale which have an engine anything above 4hp. Ideally I was looking for something at about 10hp, do you think that engine would be powerful enough for what I'm after, and do you know if I'm likely to be able to find any sibs with this engine for sale?
Old 03 May 2011, 12:56   #23

Yeah, the best you can do is look at the pics. I've found "Inflatable boat" mostly brings up sibs, but I have seen that search find a few 6+m ribs as well as kid's toys...

It's maybe worth having a peruse of some of the manufacturer's sites to get a feel for what will take a 10/15 Hp. Some sellers on Ebay will give the full spec, even tho' they are punting it with a 2 HP. I guess there may be a sales advantage to sell with a small engine, as they can then say it's "ready to go". If you get one that will take a bigger lump with a 2Hp, you just got a free Aux!

It does strike me as well if you have a small car, and go for the mega super pump talked about above, you could put the deflated boat rolled up on the roof, giving a bit more space for the engine in the car, and wonlt need an extended bar roof rack.
Old 03 May 2011, 13:55   #24

Yeah I think I'll take a look at their websites. Outboards generally also seem to be quite sought after, but maybe I'll have better luck if I buy a SIB and then get another outboard.

I'm not too sure about bothering with a roof rack if I can get a boat which folds up to fit into the boot of my car, I've got quite a bit of space so I should be okay to fit that and an outboard in.
Old 03 May 2011, 14:33   #25

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
I have the Bombard & stick it on the car roof with out a roof rack with no problems, just wheel it up to the back of the car & flip it over on to the roof & strap it down! But for its size & weight I think it is hard to beat!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01484 (Medium) (2).JPG
Views:	148
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	59050   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01482 (Medium) (2).JPG
Views:	158
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	59051   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01481 (Medium).JPG
Views:	153
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	59052  
Old 03 May 2011, 16:39   #26

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: P22
Make: halmatic sunseeker34
Engine: mermaid,volvo diesel
Avon all the way sr4 or 5.4 insore or the one and only paciffic 22 want get any better sea boat. ive had ribtec ribcraft gemmini xs5.50 and none of them match up to avon"s thats my advise all the best tho
Old 03 May 2011, 21:59   #27

That setup looks pretty cool thanks for that. I've only got quite a small peugout 205 so not too sure if I could manage that but I've got quite a bit of space in the boot as the back seats fold down.

The other boats mentioned by gavlaP22, are they able to fold up or are they rigid hulled?
Old 04 May 2011, 07:36   #28

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Somewhere on the net there is a French chap who dose this with a small hatchback with no problems, if anything my car makes things harder as it is so tall! The other plus is how small they pack up & only 41Kg
Old 04 May 2011, 07:57   #29

Yep, GalvaP's suggestions are all Rigid hulls. The 5.4 idealy needs at least a 60, so probably not what you're looking for!

As for the Pacific, you could probabbly park the 206 inside it!
Old 04 May 2011, 11:07   #30

Ah lol thanks for the warning. I've actually seen a Bombard on ebay that already looked pretty suitable but it might sell for quite a lot because a lot of people are watching it.
Old 07 May 2011, 05:55   #31

Town: San Dimas, CA, USA
Hi everyone! I see many of you are in the UK. I don't have a RIB yet, but plan on getting one in the near future. I don't know if this is available to you guys in the UK, but I have this trailer and it takes up little floor space when folded and stood up.
You might want to check if it's available for you. Here in the USA, this trailer is inexpensive. It cost me $200 USD when they had a special on it. THe drawback is that it comes as a kit, so you've got to build it yourself, and add the plywood deck.

Heavy Duty Foldable Utility Trailer & Other Folding Trailers - Harbor Freight Tools

or this boat specific trailer doesn't look too big either, but I think only the first one stands up when folded.

600 Lb. Capacity Boat Trailer* & Other Small Boat Trailers - HFT

fyi, in order to make it stronger, I decided to weld the trailer together, as the instructions are to only bolt the bars together.
Old 15 May 2011, 10:25   #32

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice - I've now got a bombard aerotec 380 inflatable

I'm going to get some lifejackets, but was just wondering are there any other essentials that I should be taking out with me? Do you think I'd need to get a VHF radio?

Like I said previously, I wouldn't be taking the boat out far, especially to begin with, but just want to make sure I've got some of the things required.
Old 15 May 2011, 10:43   #33
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenbelt7 View Post
Thanks to everyone who gave me advice - I've now got a bombard aerotec 380 inflatable

I'm going to get some lifejackets, but was just wondering are there any other essentials that I should be taking out with me? Do you think I'd need to get a VHF radio?

Like I said previously, I wouldn't be taking the boat out far, especially to begin with, but just want to make sure I've got some of the things required.
There's a link in my "signature" with advice for beginners. A VHF is in my opinion quite important (for £80) - what would you do if you breakdown and are getting washed off shore by wind / tide? If you decide not to go with VHF then some flares would definitely be a good idea (but aren't as versatile and will cost you about 1/2 the radio cost). Ideally you'd have both - but I realise budgets and eagerness to get on the water can overtake. If you really want to get out there without a radio then take a well charged mobile in a good waterproof bag, make sure someone knows where you are going, when you will be back and that you expect them to call the CG if you are not.

Spare fuel and an anchor (on a long rope) would be my other "essentials" to avoid or reduce embarrassment.
Old 16 May 2011, 09:51   #34

or alternatively a friend in another boat, which also makes for a more sociable day out!
Old 16 May 2011, 14:38   #35

Town: Truro-Cornwall & Brazil
Boat name: Bananas in Blue
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Engine: E-Tec 115
Hi,
I'm guessing being a student in Cornwall you are probably in Falmouth. I will keep an eye out for you, I'm normally found bobbing about just beyond St Antony with a fishing rod. Plenty of Cod around at the moment!
Enjoy the new boat, what engine did you end up with?

Mark
Old 16 May 2011, 15:55   #36

Town: scunthorpe
Boat name: reggae chicken
Make: zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: yamaha 2 stroke
Get a Zodiac

Hay, the best choice is the Zodiac 325 fast roller. It only weighs in at 44 kilos and takes a 10 horse power. Pleant of room for 2 people and with a 10 horse will get you around in even rough seas. I have one and take it out over 2 miles in the Irish Sea and never have any trouble. Also, if you can get a used 9.8 or 9.9 2 stroke engine then you can change the reed block valve (£25) and take off the trottle stop (which I have done to my 9.9 Yamaha) and that will deliver about 13 to 14 horse power. Also very quick off the mark.
Going back to the Zodiac... I put that and the engine, fuel tank, and sundries in the back of my Citreon Picasso and have room for many other bits and pieces. Great boat and will last a life time. You can get one used for about a £700 to £900 as they only launched in 2010 so would be a relitively new boat. Pennine Marine has them new from about £1,400.00. I am sure there is a zodiac dealer in your part of the country. I have always haggled with them as they will come down in price. Alternatively... go to France, where they are made, and you'll get one new for about £800.00. See ya' and good luck, Yankybri
PS Picture of my 325 and my mates 310 on Loch Lomond. I'm the Reggae Chicken! Don't ask... too many beers that night!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1955.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	59396  
Old 16 May 2011, 21:30   #37

Cheers again for the replies guys!
I'm located at Newquay, am at the college here but when using the boat I'm planning on heading to the south coast where its a bit more sheltered, probably some of the beaches North of Falmouth.

I'll definitely look out for a radio as I realise I don't want to end up in an area with no mobile signal. I've seen quite a few for sale on ebay so I'll keep checking.

The engine is a johnson 15hp 2 stroke shortshaft. Pretty sure it'll have more then enough power..

And thanks for the advice yankybri, that sounds and looks pretty awesome, should've waited before buying my one!
Old 25 January 2012, 07:48   #38

Town: York
Boat name: Not got one yet
Make: None
Length: 4m +
Engine: None
Can any one give me any feedback or rate a rib for me please it's a excell sr 330 with a 15hp engine center console, using it for hopping around north east coast, fishing etc thanx,very new to the ribbing world