Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 13 May 2015, 20:38   #1

Town: East Lothian
Length: 7m +
Bareboat charter: west coast Scotland / Tayvallich (early July 2015)

Hi folks, I'm holidaying in Tayvallich (top of Loch Sween) on west coast of Scotland from Sat 4th July onwards. I usually take my 20 foot dayboat and assortment of kayaks etc. but think the family would enjoy something different this year. For this reason, I'm trying to establish what (of any!) bareboat RIB charter options might be avialable anytime from 4th July for up to 2 weeks.

I'm RYA Powerboat L2 certified, with experience in working as safety boat duty in my local yacht club, plus experience with sailing dayboats.

Any help, advice, suggestions on what hire companies or hire options that would be available would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 13 May 2015, 21:07   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Do a search for bareboat scotland on the forum and you'll find the options. They are very limited and scarily expensive.
Old 13 May 2015, 22:02   #3

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Hi Springer,

As Poly says, bareboat RIB charter is very limited. I don't know of any that have smaller RIBs for bareboat charter in the area. Someone else has asked me about this last year sometime. I asked a couple of people if they would charter their (coded) boats bareboat. One said no, the other said maybe but it would be around £300+ per day + fuel.

I feel the quick answer is that there aren't any RIBs for bareboat charter here. I may be wrong, of course.
Old 13 May 2015, 22:09   #4

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by alystra View Post
Hi Springer,

As Poly says, bareboat RIB charter is very limited. I don't know of any that have smaller RIBs for bareboat charter in the area. Someone else has asked me about this last year sometime. I asked a couple of people if they would charter their (coded) boats bareboat. One said no, the other said maybe but it would be around £300+ per day + fuel.

I feel the quick answer is that there aren't any RIBs for bareboat charter here. I may be wrong, of course.
I think you are correct Tony. There certainly ain't any down here in Tayvallich
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2015, 07:33   #5

Town: East Lothian
Length: 7m +
Thanks for sharing guys. Thought it might be a struggle to find something suitable! I'll be driving from the SE of Scotland, so guess I could trailer a hire RIB anywhere from north England / Scottish Borders upwards. I imagine if any charter option exists the folk on here will know about it, so please shout if you can think of any angle on this!

Failing that, might just need to take our Drascombe through again - - - Tayvallich and surrounding area is just fantastic & can't wait until we return
Old 14 May 2015, 17:52   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Springer, there are only two proper bareboat rib operators I am aware of in scotland. One is in Largs, but the last enquiry from someone here seemed to suggest no boat available and the other is an 11m redbay based near oban. It's a beautiful boat but for the cost of a two week charter you could buy a cheap rib! A drascombe is a pretty special way to enjoy loch sween anyway.