Old 02 January 2012, 16:19   #1

Town: Cork
Boat name: Cúr na dDonnta
Make: Excalibur + Zapcat
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc120TDI,Tohatsu50
Avon 620 on eBay

Avon 620 Rib Inflatable Adventure Open

Looks very good at first glance but I asked a few searching questions e.g. is that trim motor covered in rust and the hull looks rough - any damage/repairs and so on. I quickly got a reply to say it was sold but two days later it's still up there taking offers.
Draw your own conclusions.
Old 02 January 2012, 16:32   #2

Town: Plymouth
I've seen that boat in Person about 2 ago when I collected another boat from there. It had just come in from Weymouth and was a project.

Ptt motor was rusted and not operative from the handle (wiring fault with control box). Seating quite tatty. Good trailer. Good tubes from memory. Just need a good going through and revamp.

The biggest problem which does not seem to have been advised was the condition of the hull. It was used as a test boat in Weymouth with added planing fins being retro fitted to its hull. These were screwed/bonded in and in a sorry state. Removing would leave its own problems. Replacing would be viable but what the results they had to its performance was would have to be questioned and considered. perhaps that's why it's "sold" then not.

What I can tell you is Yellow Fin Marine as a broker was very good and I'd be happy to trade from again.

Hope that helps

Peter ~ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 03 January 2012, 17:01   #3

Town: Cork
Boat name: Cúr na dDonnta
Make: Excalibur + Zapcat
Engine: Merc120TDI,Tohatsu50
Good info Peter -thanks. I'd really be wary of any hull that's had it's structure interfered with to that extent. Who knows what stresses those fins might have induced in the structure apart from the fitment holes etc. I thought it looked like it had suffered to some extent.
The trim motor cover isn't a huge deal to replace although not as cheap as you'd expect. Nothing like doing it on the Yamaha 90 anyway.
There's no doubt it's a good price if you're happy with Mediterranean seating but it would need careful going over. Although he said it was sold, it's still for sale for any trigger-happy eBayers out there.
Old 03 January 2012, 17:44   #4

Town: Plymouth
I don't think there's any concern over the rest of the hull. It's more isolated to what was added and how best to remove without leaving it clear to see what was their. Antifoul covers a lot though if that's your bag! It's not mine.

I've a Ribeye 600 Playtime with Yam 115 4 stroke for similar (LESS) money but there's a story to it... Well there would have to be at that money! PM for more details if interested

Peter ~ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007