Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 23 August 2009, 14:36   #1
Member
 
Nasher's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Ocean & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzi DT200EFI, DT9.9
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,447
Ancher locker drain.

The Anchor locker in the Bows of The Nashers Revenge is formed by a bulkhead under the deck roughly as the Blue line on the image below.

When the anchor, chain and warp are dumped back in the locker the sea water runs off and collects in the bottom, and can only be removed with a sponge once all the gear has been removed from the locker.

Id like to fit a drain like Yachts have to let the water out.
An added advantage is that Id be able to chuck a bucket of fresh water in the locker to rinse the salt out of the warp occasionally, rather than wait until I drag it all out 2 or 3 times a year to wash it out in a bucket.

Unfortunately the bottom of the locker is just below the water line at rest, so Im going to Glass in a false floor to the locker about 6 inches up, as per the Red line, which will be enough to raise a drain above the water line at rest.

This will of course create a sealed void in the hull, shown by the yellow shading, which Im not too sure about.

Should I just leave it?
Or should I consider filling it with something?

Any thoughts would be appreciated, especially those from the RIB builders.

Thanks.

Nasher.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	false.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	45098  
__________________

__________________
RIBBED For extra pleasure.
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Member of the Bombard 380 Aerotec club
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2009, 14:43   #2
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
I'd fit the false floor and have a drain just above the waterline.
Atlantic that are kept bow down in sheds have a similar drain for the deck.
__________________

__________________
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2009, 15:16   #3
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,940
RIBase
Hey Nasher - you've been quiet lately!

Sorry I'm not a RIB builder!* Are you concerned about what the void may do or what may happen within the void? My concerns would be "can it leak and fill with water?" and "then what?". You could pack the void with expansion foam or a polystyrene block. I'd favour the block as it won't break down or absorb (much) water, while maintaining the buoyancy of the void.

I have the same problem in my rib and live with it. I tell myself that extracting the two anchors and four lines etc. for drying, keeps me familiar with the contents of the locker!

It doesn't really help...

____________________________
* not that sorry, actually.
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2009, 15:26   #4
Member
 
Nasher's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Ocean & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzi DT200EFI, DT9.9
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Hey Nasher - you've been quiet lately!

Are you concerned about what the void may do or what may happen within the void? My concerns would be "can it leak and fill with water?" and "then what?".
Hey Willk

Yep, been away, and also having lots of PC issues!

What you've said above is exactly my concern, I like the idear of the polystyrene block.

Thanks

Nasher.
__________________
RIBBED For extra pleasure.
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Member of the Bombard 380 Aerotec club
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2009, 16:18   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Nasher - you are going to hate me for this suggestion............

Why not go the whole hog and have the anchor going through the hull like on new Revengers and Scorpions etc???

http://www.revenger.co.uk/revenger31med/rev31med.html

Stunning boats!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31winch.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	45104   Click image for larger version

Name:	31anchor.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	45105  
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2009, 16:18   #6
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 11,185
this might be a stupid suggestion - but could you drill through the bulkhead into the underdeck void and put a bung in it? Then when you want to you can wash through / drain the locker into the void (which I assume either has a pump or a drain bung?)
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2009, 16:21   #7
mdt
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
Length: 5m +
MMSI: ... - - - ...
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 720
I am currently building the anchor locker in the bow of my 5.4. I have also had the idea of putting a drain in for the same reason you state. I am thinking the way forward it to lay a pipe glassed in all the way down to the stern where I am going to build a well my thinking is that any water will just flow out the stern as the 5.4s bow will always be too low at to self drain as it dose on the yacht.
__________________
The only difference between men and boys, is the price and size of their toys
mdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2009, 16:37   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdt View Post
I am currently building the anchor locker in the bow of my 5.4. I have also had the idea of putting a drain in for the same reason you state. I am thinking the way forward it to lay a pipe glassed in all the way down to the stern where I am going to build a well my thinking is that any water will just flow out the stern as the 5.4’s bow will always be too low at to self drain as it dose on the yacht.
You mean like this one, mentioned in stevetheboats shakespeare build thread?

http://www.ribs-by-shakespeare.co.uk/comp.html

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?...are+720&page=3
__________________
Neil Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2009, 16:46   #9
Member
 
Nasher's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Ocean & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzi DT200EFI, DT9.9
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,447
Idealy yes I'd like to drain it back to the stern and the bilge pump, but unfortunately the very large compartment behind the anchor locker doesn't drain back either, and the fuel tank is in the way even if I could crawl down inside it to drill through.

On the other hand, I like having seperate water tight compartments within the hull.

Codprawn, you've got me thinking, but it's probably a little OTT for me, and I'd have to invest in a winch etc.

Nasher
__________________
RIBBED For extra pleasure.
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Member of the Bombard 380 Aerotec club
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2009, 00:54   #10
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
Codders suggestion does look good, I've seen your welding too mate. Afternoons work for yourself!
Let me know if you need some shiny bits as I'm back at work.
__________________
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2009, 02:10   #11
mdt
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
Length: 5m +
MMSI: ... - - - ...
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Harvey View Post
You mean like this one, mentioned in stevetheboats shakespeare build thread?

http://www.ribs-by-shakespeare.co.uk/comp.html
That is just what I had in mind for the under deck build. so glad it looks like it will work.
__________________
The only difference between men and boys, is the price and size of their toys
mdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2009, 02:53   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,869
Locker drains have to be above the waterline, no problem on a yacht with lots of freeboard.
Maybe an anchor line that doesn't absorb so much water might help. I have a similar set, I've not had such problems.
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2009, 03:48   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Locker drains have to be above the waterline, no problem on a yacht with lots of freeboard.
might be a stupid question, but why?
__________________
Neil Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2009, 03:54   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Harvey View Post
might be a stupid question, but why?
If the drain is below the waterline, it's effectively a whole in the boat and lets water in. You'll be carrying extra weight and the anchor gear will be permanantly sopping wet.
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2009, 03:54   #15
Member
 
Nasher's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Ocean & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzi DT200EFI, DT9.9
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Harvey View Post
might be a stupid question, but why?
I assume it's in case the bulkhead fails and allows the boat to fill up.

Nasher
__________________
RIBBED For extra pleasure.
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Member of the Bombard 380 Aerotec club
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2009, 06:17   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
If the drain is below the waterline, it's effectively a whole in the boat and lets water in. You'll be carrying extra weight and the anchor gear will be permanantly sopping wet.
OK, then I assume you are talking about a drain hole to the outside of the boat, cos mine drains all the way back to the transom well, where there's a bung at the front of the well, to drain any water in the hull into the transom well, where it can be pumped out. Or, alternatively do the reverse and part fill the hull for stability.

had me worried for a minute
__________________
Neil Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2009, 06:25   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Harvey View Post
OK, then I assume you are talking about a drain hole to the outside of the boat, cos mine drains all the way back to the transom well.....
. Very difficult to retro-fit such a set-up.
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2009, 06:56   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 80
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,107
how about a very small bilge pump? sort of car windscreen size pump with a switch on the dashboard? i am sure there must be something similar that would work in a marine enviroment.
__________________
I am usually not as green as i am cabbage looking.
doggypaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2009, 07:07   #19
Member
 
Cookee's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
The Anchor locker in the Bows of The Nashers Revenge is formed by a bulkhead under the deck roughly as the Blue line on the image below.

When the anchor, chain and warp are dumped back in the locker the sea water runs off and collects in the bottom, and can only be removed with a sponge once all the gear has been removed from the locker.

Id like to fit a drain like Yachts have to let the water out.
An added advantage is that Id be able to chuck a bucket of fresh water in the locker to rinse the salt out of the warp occasionally, rather than wait until I drag it all out 2 or 3 times a year to wash it out in a bucket.

Unfortunately the bottom of the locker is just below the water line at rest, so Im going to Glass in a false floor to the locker about 6 inches up, as per the Red line, which will be enough to raise a drain above the water line at rest.

This will of course create a sealed void in the hull, shown by the yellow shading, which Im not too sure about.

Should I just leave it?
Or should I consider filling it with something?

Any thoughts would be appreciated, especially those from the RIB builders.

Thanks.

Nasher.






Leave it!
__________________
Cookee
Originally Posted by Zippy
When a boat looks that good who needs tubes!!!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2009, 07:11   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Leave it!
Yeah, buy a bigger sponge.
__________________

__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.