Old 31 July 2022, 20:49   #1

Town: Hope valley
Length: 3m +
Am I overthinking this

Fellow ribbers,

We were out in Conwy today. Came out of the north west entrance to the menai straits following a small hard boat. The sea was terrible (from the forecast we knew it would but had to get the boat back). We got round to the east side of puffin island and calmer water without any drama. The other boat was still well in the rough when we got round. Sat in the calmer water I wanted to go around again and check they were ok. In the end I decided it was best to get my self back and if they had any sense would have a radio. Better the coastguard have too get one boat than two...
I didn't go back round. Hopefully they are all fine! Would you have done anything different?
Old 31 July 2022, 21:21   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
I think you did the right thing, many folk have foundered trying to rescue others when they should have concentrated on self preservation. Like you say better one casualty than two for the cavalry to deal with

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
Old 31 July 2022, 21:28   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
I think you did the right thing, many folk have foundered trying to rescue others when they should have concentrated on self preservation. Like you say better one casualty than two for the cavalry to deal with

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
I'm sure I did! I felt for them taking that on it wasn't pleasant in our boat.
Old 31 July 2022, 21:46   #4

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
If you was on the East side of Puffin Island in calmer water heading towards Conwy, was the other hard boat on the West side in rougher water and therefore couldn't be seen by you. Are you presuming that the hard boat was travelling in the same direction as yourself or could they have been heading West towards Red Wharf Bay/Benllech. If that was the case and if you had gone back to make sure they was ok, you would have put yourself at risk for no reason.
In my opinion you did the right thing. It would have been different if you knew they was in trouble or a call had come through on your vhf.
Old 31 July 2022, 21:56   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
If you was on the East side of Puffin Island in calmer water heading towards Conwy, was the other hard boat on the West side in rougher water and therefore couldn't be seen by you. Are you presuming that the hard boat was travelling in the same direction as yourself or could they have been heading West towards Red Wharf Bay/Benllech. If that was the case and if you had gone back to make sure they was ok, you would have put yourself at risk for no reason.
In my opinion you did the right thing. It would have been different if you knew they was in trouble or a call had come through on your vhf.
We followed them round to the west of puffin island then ducked into the east side to shelter from the wind. We got round a lot quicker than them. Just felt bad they were still there. Obviously they weren't in any obvious trouble.