Old 26 September 2023, 21:01   #1

Town: Glasgow
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard 150hp
Ribcraft 6.4

Hi, does anyone have any experience of a post 2019 RC 6.4? Apparently it got a new hull shape in 2019. I’d read on here that the 6.4 wasn’t quite as favoured as the 585 but I’d like something a little bigger… but not if it handles worse in a chop. It seems to have been dropped from their website… which maybe tells a story.
Cheers
Old 26 September 2023, 22:22   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navman View Post
Hi, does anyone have any experience of a post 2019 RC 6.4? Apparently it got a new hull shape in 2019. I’d read on here that the 6.4 wasn’t quite as favoured as the 585 but I’d like something a little bigger… but not if it handles worse in a chop. It seems to have been dropped from their website… which maybe tells a story.

Cheers
I've got a 6.5 & had it next to a 585 & the 585 is exactly the same hull only shorter. Ive seen the comments that the 585 is the better boat but honestly dont believe it. It's almost universally accepted that with boats that bigger is better so I fail to see how in this instance the shorter hull length can be better. My thoughts are its one of those internet myths where someone makes a statement that something is better & it gets repeated so many times that folk start to believe it. I'd only be convinced if I tried the two side by side. Performance aside the 6.5 has more internal room in it & I'd imagine in most use you'd never think 'this hulls a dog' we had ours out running next to a similar sized northcraft & the 6.5 ribcraft was night & day better than the similarly powered northcraft.
Old 26 September 2023, 22:26   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Ribcraft 6.4

Quote:

Cheers

I had an old style 6.4, not a bad boat but not as comfortable as a 585. They stretched a 585 to make the 6.4 & added a longer section after the “V” flatted off to the planing pad. It could be a bit harsh in certain seas if you landed on the flatter stern section. I certainly wouldn’t cross it off my list. But if I had the choice between a Redbay 6.5 & a Ribcraft 6.4, all things considered, I’d take the Redbay.
I’ve no experience of the post 2019 hull, but I suspect it’s a completely different beast.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2023, 07:26   #4

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I had an old style 6.4, not a bad boat but not as comfortable as a 585. They stretched a 585 to make the 6.4 & added a longer section after the “V” flatted off to the planing pad. It could be a bit harsh in certain seas if you landed on the flatter stern section. I certainly wouldn’t cross it off my list. But if I had the choice between a Redbay 6.5 & a Ribcraft 6.4, all things considered, I’d take the Redbay.
I’ve no experience of the post 2019 hull, but I suspect it’s a completely different beast.
To be fair pd your boat wasnt a 'normal' 6.4 it was presumably a factory special build given it had more power than most 6.4/5's are rated to, my very early 6.5 is rated 150hp & every other I've seen was 200hp max & you were also carrying two 115hp engines which is a massive weight penalty over a single engine boat. Which is probably more the reason you are of the opinion the hull was compromised.
I've also heard the 'they stretched the hull' statement which i also find very strange. Many builders build several size boats from the same mould & the two clearly come from the same mould but they start with the larger hull & insert false transom blocks in to it to shorten the hull length. Stretching a hull is far more difficult as it requires them to make a complete new plug & cast an entire new mould in which case its just as easy to manufacture a complete new hull design from scratch with an appropriate sized delta pad. Maybe they just £ucked up the 6.4/5 hull design but I find that hard to believe too. Without speaking to someone who worked in the factory 20 years ago to explain the process I'll never be convinced they stretched a boat. If they had a 585 in the range & a 6.8 in the range & wanted an in between it would have been far easier to shorten a 6.8 than stretch a 585.
Happy to apologise if I'm wrong but without evidence of the factory process I'm not believing the 'stretched' myth.
Old 27 September 2023, 10:16   #5

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
To be fair pd your boat wasnt a 'normal' 6.4 it was presumably a factory special build given it had more power than most 6.4/5's are rated to, my very early 6.5 is rated 150hp & every other I've seen was 200hp max & you were also carrying two 115hp engines which is a massive weight penalty over a single engine boat. Which is probably more the reason you are of the opinion the hull was compromised.
I've also heard the 'they stretched the hull' statement which i also find very strange. Many builders build several size boats from the same mould & the two clearly come from the same mould but they start with the larger hull & insert false transom blocks in to it to shorten the hull length. Stretching a hull is far more difficult as it requires them to make a complete new plug & cast an entire new mould in which case its just as easy to manufacture a complete new hull design from scratch with an appropriate sized delta pad. Maybe they just £ucked up the 6.4/5 hull design but I find that hard to believe too. Without speaking to someone who worked in the factory 20 years ago to explain the process I'll never be convinced they stretched a boat. If they had a 585 in the range & a 6.8 in the range & wanted an in between it would have been far easier to shorten a 6.8 than stretch a 585.
Happy to apologise if I'm wrong but without evidence of the factory process I'm not believing the 'stretched' myth.

I’m just going on what I was told during my extensive pre-sale discussions with Ribcraft, & factory visits to view the build & hull layup.🤷*♂️
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 27 September 2023, 20:19   #6
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
We've got a 585 and a 6.4 Ribcraft.

The 6.4 is an old style or "narrow beam" based on the 585 hull. It is narrow and the newer, wider beam 6.4 hull is much nicer. I understand this is a "cut down" 6.8 hull nowadays.

That said the 585 we have is an older boat with old style tubes which I think (and I'm biased!) look nicer than the newer 585 with the new tube profile.

Between the two, the 585 is the nicer boat overall but the bigger and much heavier 6.4 is nicer in rough stuff.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	585 Variations.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	143856   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-06-13_11-01-36.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	143857   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-07-08_12-14-59.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	143858  
Old 27 September 2023, 21:04   #7

I see what you mean about the new tube shape...and tend to agree. Is that your 6.4 beside the orange lifeboat? Looks not dissimilar at the bow for what it's worth.
Old 28 September 2023, 09:33   #8

RIBase
Quote:
I see what you mean about the new tube shape...and tend to agree. Is that your 6.4 beside the orange lifeboat? Looks not dissimilar at the bow for what it's worth.

Unless things have changed under the new owners, you used to have the choice over which tube style you went for. The new style were called “J” type to differentiate them from the traditional sectional tubes. The J type were made from fewer pieces of Hypalon, so fewer joints. Theoretically this made the tube more durable and also cheaper to make. My 6.4 had the J type tubes, I went back to the sectional traditional type for my current RIB. I prefer the chunkier, more industrial look.
This is the 6.4 with the J tubes
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0668.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	277.5 KB
ID:	143861
Old 28 September 2023, 10:08   #9

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Unless things have changed under the new owners, you used to have the choice over which tube style you went for. The new style were called “J” type to differentiate them from the traditional sectional tubes. The J type were made from fewer pieces of Hypalon, so fewer joints. Theoretically this made the tube more durable and also cheaper to make. My 6.4 had the J type tubes, I went back to the sectional traditional type for my current RIB. I prefer the chunkier, more industrial look.
Attachment 143861
What are the two beam widths we are refering too ?
less waste with chunkier tube build as every section is across the hypalon roll ,where as j style may leave 4 metres at the end of the roll usable for not alot
j tubes much easier on the eye for me ,but then thats just the commercial /leisure choice i suspect ,front of j tube on your photo looks same profile as my 5.3 ,but it must have been wider than 2.35?
Old 28 September 2023, 12:02   #10

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
What are the two beam widths we are refering too ?

less waste with chunkier tube build as every section is across the hypalon roll ,where as j style may leave 4 metres at the end of the roll usable for not alot

j tubes much easier on the eye for me ,but then thats just the commercial /leisure choice i suspect ,front of j tube on your photo looks same profile as my 5.3 ,but it must have been wider than 2.35?

Iirc mine was 2.4m beam
Old 28 September 2023, 21:09   #11

Quote:
Attachment 143861
That 6.4 hull looks like a winner from that angle. Guess you can’t properly tell just visually though. Why did you get rid of her?
Old 28 September 2023, 21:23   #12

RIBase
Quote:
That 6.4 hull looks like a winner from that angle. Guess you can’t properly tell just visually though. Why did you get rid of her?

I stopped doing the deep diving & it was too big for just me & the missus to launch. It also only had a single seat due to the “Diving Taxi” layout. We downsized to a 545 with side by side Ullmans.
Old 29 September 2023, 19:08   #13

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Iirc mine was 2.4m beam
Thats about max for comfortable towing on uk coastal roads imo ,
can anybody suggest what the new post 2019 6.4 beam is please ?
Old 29 September 2023, 19:54   #14

Well their website says 2.4m beam for the 6.4 so similar to the 585 (although website actually says 2.45m for the 585). Chatting to Ribcraft the 6.4 is a narrow beam model. The 6.8 is down as 2.7m beam.
Old 25 October 2023, 09:40   #15

Town: cork
Boat name: N/A
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115bhp Yamaha
Hull material

Hey lads, would you know if my Ribtec 6.5m is likely fibreglass or aluminium? Just about to apply anti foul and wanted to double check, pretty sure its fibreglass myself!

Cheers
Andy
Old 25 October 2023, 10:36   #16

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyofarabia View Post
Hey lads, would you know if my Ribtec 6.5m is likely fibreglass or aluminium? Just about to apply anti foul and wanted to double check, pretty sure its fibreglass myself!

Cheers
Andy

The difference between a GRP hull & an ally hull is pretty obvious tbh.
Old 25 October 2023, 15:21   #17

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
I wasn't aware Ribtec made anything in aluminium? Ribcraft have produced a few in alu over the years, but I haven't (yet) seen an alu Ribtec.

Tags
rib, ribcraft