Old 06 May 2021, 03:51   #1

Town: phuket
Length: no boat
Narrow or wide beam

On a rib of approx 8 meter could anyone advise on the merits of a wide or narrow beam boat. My understanding is that a narrower beam will generally mean the boat is more seaworthy in rougher seas which would be my priority over any extra space afforded by a wider beam
Old 06 May 2021, 09:11   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by apcsilver View Post
On a rib of approx 8 meter could anyone advise on the merits of a wide or narrow beam boat. My understanding is that a narrower beam will generally mean the boat is more seaworthy in rougher seas which would be my priority over any extra space afforded by a wider beam

Depends on your definitions of wide & narrow. An 8m RIB would typically have a 2.7m beam. Long narrow beam boats (Humber Attaque?) are more likely to “Stuff” in a following sea due to lack of lateral buoyancy. Think: it’s easier to push something sharp & pointy into an object (wave) than something broad & blunt.
The boat’s length & width need to be in proportion. If I had the choice of an 8m RIB in either 2.9m/2.7m or 2.4m beam, I’d choose the 2.9m. I’d be confident that all things being equal, this would be the better sea boat.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2021, 20:07   #3

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by apcsilver View Post
Probably the other way round
It's obviously a matter of degrees....but Viking "Longships".....were pretty Beamy...and didn't stop them stretching thier Legs
The Keel/Hull on most RIBs is narrow regardless ....generally with a Deep V and high dead rise to help cut though the chop and help "plant" the Boat in the waves whilst manovering..add inflatable Tubes and a RIB out performs most other water craft for thier size.
As for Beam ...Narrow Boat "Speed Needle" type will often be faster in ideal conditions but overall stability especially in Rough and Confused Seas is better served by more beam and often larger Tubes ...pluss the higher overall weight in my experience.
Plenty of Power comensurate with size of RIB!...and you're good to go!
Coming from Thailand you've probably seen the large "outriggers" on traditional watercraft...not for speed but they certainly help with stability and Sea Keeping

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote