Old 21 June 2023, 10:41   #1

Town: Clachan
Hey there from Kintyre in Scotland

Newbie here looking to take my Powerboat II course and get a rib (thats if the cost of my home renovations allow) - Why? well I've just moved into Knapdale temporarily and will be moving down the coast to Kintyre shortly close to Tarbert. This means I have easy access to both the Sound of Jura and the Clyde Estuary on my doorstep. I mean it would be silly NOT to have a boat.

I know nothing of the boating world so have much to learn. I'm looking for a nice small starter boat for myself and my wife to ply the lochs and sounds locally.

Mark
Old 21 June 2023, 19:19   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flettie View Post
Newbie here looking to take my Powerboat II course and get a rib (thats if the cost of my home renovations allow) - Why? well I've just moved into Knapdale temporarily and will be moving down the coast to Kintyre shortly close to Tarbert. This means I have easy access to both the Sound of Jura and the Clyde Estuary on my doorstep. I mean it would be silly NOT to have a boat.

I know nothing of the boating world so have much to learn. I'm looking for a nice small starter boat for myself and my wife to ply the lochs and sounds locally.

Mark
John Ewan at glasgow city boats will do the training with you, good guy, better than some others close to him imho.
As to what boat thats a difficult one without knowing budget & roughly what you want to do. We love Tarbet, one of our favourite spots. I've taken the kids fishing out of Tarbet in our 2.8m tender & felt perfectly happy but also headed back to largs in our 37ft cruiser & felt uncomfortable. we also nip over in a 5.4m rib quite happily. It realy depends what you want to do. The other side of the mull is more rugged & far less sheltered probably a good idea to cut your teeth on the east side first a great area to have a boat but a bit more info would help narrow down your search
Old 21 June 2023, 20:46   #3

Town: Clachan
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
John Ewan at glasgow city boats will do the training with you, good guy, better than some others close to him imho.
As to what boat thats a difficult one without knowing budget & roughly what you want to do. We love Tarbet, one of our favourite spots. I've taken the kids fishing out of Tarbet in our 2.8m tender & felt perfectly happy but also headed back to largs in our 37ft cruiser & felt uncomfortable. we also nip over in a 5.4m rib quite happily. It realy depends what you want to do. The other side of the mull is more rugged & far less sheltered probably a good idea to cut your teeth on the east side first a great area to have a boat but a bit more info would help narrow down your search
Hey thanks for the response - I'm looking for a nimble day boat for island hopping. I was considering a 4.9 RIB and there does seem to be so many for sale. I have a 10 grand budget but need to spend in wisely
Old 22 June 2023, 17:04   #4

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flettie View Post
Hey thanks for the response - I'm looking for a nimble day boat for island hopping. I was considering a 4.9 RIB and there does seem to be so many for sale. I have a 10 grand budget but need to spend in wisely
Something around the 5m size would be ideal, easy to handle but big enough to feel comfortable 60hp plus would give a reasonable turn of speed but not burst the budget for a good condition used boat. Personally I'd look for a quality uk built more robust make rather than the med style with more bling which are usually flatter vee & not as good quality build.