Old 11 June 2023, 16:25   #1

Town: Wigan
Boat name: Don’t have one yet
Hello (no boat, yet!)

Evening all,

Quick hello to everyone.

I don’t have a boat yet, only just started looking at what’s best for me.

Tried most water sports and think it’s about time I got a boat for the family to use. I will no doubt call upon your help, and I am always welcome to everyone’s options, thoughts and ideas.

Love a good forum and this one seems quite active.

Thanks, Jon.
Old 11 June 2023, 19:16   #2

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Hi Jon and welcome, so what type of boat are you thinking about, a sib or a rib?
Old 11 June 2023, 19:32   #3

Hey.

I’m not sure just yet. I’ve done a bit of reading and watching, but not 100% yet on the pros/cons of each set up.

The purpose is to take the family out (wife and 3 kids aged 16,13 & 7. Mooch round the coast visiting bays/coves etc. Maybe even tow the kids on towables.

I get the bigger you go the more there is to it. I don’t want to go too big that its very hard work and puts us off, but it does need to serve us all so can’t be too small.

We have an old VW camper with a tow bar, so towing is possible. But I’ve never towed anything before. And I wouldn’t want to back down some slip ways in it; its nearly 42 years old after all. Wife has a Quash Qui so could use that.

Any thoughts based on my situation so far please anyone?

Is there a boat big enough for what I need that could be manually launched using those wheels that fold up? I forget what they are called.

Thanks, Jon.
Old 11 June 2023, 20:02   #4

Hi Jon, just noticed you are based in Wigan. I've sent you a PM.

Do you intend to travel far and wide with your boat, or be based in one place? Sea, Lakes or both? Budget? Storage - mooring, dry Stack, on the drive, folded up in the garage? Use - every week, month, just on holiday? 5 adults (or nearly) every time, or will it be 3 and possibly 5 occasionally?

The more info you can supply, the more help, direction, advice you will receive.
Old 11 June 2023, 20:58   #5

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Welcome to the forum Jon.

Give the VW a miss would be my advice with a RIB. Very much depends on the slips you use. Just because there’s a hitch there doesn’t mean anything. I’m back from a few days at Loch Melfort in Argyll on a fairly steep slip with seaweed on a negligible tide, and my A4 Allroad 2.0TDI clutch was filling the air on retrieval, and that's with 4 wheel drive hauling a 5m RIB.

So basically you’re 5 on board. If you all enjoy being out, and I use that word cautiously, as you might enjoy it, but kids are a different ballgame as they get older. It’s about the end journey, and what you want to do as a family.

Budget will determine the boat. You can have a lot of fun with a Zodiac and a 25hp engine if you plan to tow on a ringo. It’s fine for sheltered coves in summer, and everyone sits on the tubes.

Anyway, ask away, that’s what the forum is for.
Old 11 June 2023, 21:50   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Hi Jon, just noticed you are based in Wigan. I've sent you a PM.

Do you intend to travel far and wide with your boat, or be based in one place? Sea, Lakes or both? Budget? Storage - mooring, dry Stack, on the drive, folded up in the garage? Use - every week, month, just on holiday? 5 adults (or nearly) every time, or will it be 3 and possibly 5 occasionally?

The more info you can supply, the more help, direction, advice you will receive.

Thanks Steve, just double check that pm please, I don’t seem to have it.

I guess I’ll be limiting travel to begin with. I’ve got a favourite site that I’d probably use for a while till I gain more experience. That’s on the sea. This place looks ok to launch by hand, I’ve seen people do it there. Thought about a winch on the Campervan for worst case, or even a long rope to tow out.

Still thinking about storage. I’ve a few options, mostly outside though. If I chose foldable then I can store away no problem.

Would be 5 people occasionally, when eldest isn’t working. Then it’s 4 or sometimes 3. Maybe just me if I’m due some peace and quiet.

We’ve discussed a foldable boat with maximum engine, then 2 kids could be towed on towables.

Thanks, Jon.
Old 11 June 2023, 21:53   #7

Oh and budget. Within reason I suppose. £3k would be ideal to begin with.
Old 11 June 2023, 22:02   #8

Sent another pm.
Old 11 June 2023, 22:03   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Welcome to the forum Jon.

Give the VW a miss would be my advice with a RIB. Very much depends on the slips you use. Just because there’s a hitch there doesn’t mean anything. I’m back from a few days at Loch Melfort in Argyll on a fairly steep slip with seaweed on a negligible tide, and my A4 Allroad 2.0TDI clutch was filling the air on retrieval, and that's with 4 wheel drive hauling a 5m RIB.

So basically you’re 5 on board. If you all enjoy being out, and I use that word cautiously, as you might enjoy it, but kids are a different ballgame as they get older. It’s about the end journey, and what you want to do as a family.

Budget will determine the boat. You can have a lot of fun with a Zodiac and a 25hp engine if you plan to tow on a ringo. It’s fine for sheltered coves in summer, and everyone sits on the tubes.

Anyway, ask away, that’s what the forum is for.

Hello.

I hear you regarding the VW towing ability.
I’d have to choose easy slips to begin with.
Was chatting to a friend about a winch on the trailer, he drives Landrovers green laning and getting into all sorts of mess. Do people use winches?

I guess my budget is around £3k to begin with. Would I be better getting the best engine I could for a cheaper boat, leaving me able to upgrade the boat and keep the engine in a few years if necessary?

My kids are very outdoorsy. Love the sea and any water sport they’ve tried. And I’m not the sort to want to go crazy. I’m pretty sensible. Towing on towables safely close to shore and nipping from bay to bay is alls I want. At least till/if the hobby/sport takes off.
Old 11 June 2023, 22:04   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Sent another pm.

Got it, thanks for that. Speak soon.