Old 14 August 2023, 11:42   #1

Town: Fort William
Hello from near Fort William

Hi all

I retired to near Fort William during the pandemic...

My previous experience on the water is from sea kayaking and I want to extend my coastal and island exploration, together with lure fishing, to a SIB. I'm currently looking at options for something suitable for solo launching from a car boot rather than trailer, but which can carry two adults and lightweight camping gear.

Advice and contact from others with similar interests very welcome. I have read the informative sticky re What SIB?
Old 14 August 2023, 17:54   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Hi a lovely part of the country and have some fond memories of visiting when in my late teens but my wife might read this so won’t go into details

Some good access to the water around you as well.

Perhaps have a look at the Boat world range, Excel, or Honwave for starters.

Can only speak for the Excel Volaire and although capable, far too big for one from the boot, and need a good sized ob to move it.

Outboard I would think under 10hp for weight or maybe even a 6hp, but still a bit of power to get you out of trouble.

A Frib is another option if you YouTube Donny Wilcox you can see with his knowledge, what it can do.

He coincidently spends a lot of time out with kayakers, so he might be a good contact for you in the area, if don’t already know of him.
Old 15 August 2023, 07:46   #3

Thanks for your message.

I love the sea and mountains here and hopefully the SIB will be another way to enjoy them.

Yes it seems all compromises, particularly when I want to be capable solo and two up with luggage. I'm torn between buying an existing set up and a new boat, particularly as I'm aware that it will be easy to not get the compromises right first time.

Yes I've seen some of Donny Wilcox's YouTube videos. Inspiring stuff, but I won't be trying to run the falls of Lora on a spring tide! The fribs do look good but quite expensive new.
Old 15 August 2023, 08:56   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>it will be easy to not get the compromises right first time.

This is the dilemma we all faced with the first purchase or a change of circumstances upgrade. Your can only do all the research mixing in advice on here and go for the nearest choice. Statement of the obvious really but buy a SIB and outboard brand new and you risk the chance of losing loads if you realise you needed something slightly different. Buy a used outfit and if either SIB or outboard needed changing then broadly speaking you shouldn't lose much at all selling on and buying another.

Those who bought their first outfits and found them spot on are lucky indeed.
Old 15 August 2023, 09:46   #5

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Hi Enjay and welcome, what a lovely part of the world to retire in (apart from the midges!)

Here's my take on it. If I was solo, not camping and performance was the main criteria, I would definitely go for one of the V decks. Either the Honwave T32 ie3 or the Boatworld Air V330. Spec on paper is very similar, however seeing both in the flesh I would say that IMO the T32 edges it on quality, but is that quality worth an extra £350???

2 up, touring with camping gear. I would want a flat deck, sausage keel (water drains away from the deck) and to have as much internal width as possible so as not to be cramped.

2 suggestions, Boatworld 320AD & Excel SD330.
Although they appear similar, they are very different.

SD330 - 1.1mm pvc
320AD - 0.9mm pvc

SD330 - 5 yr gtee
320AD - 3 yr gtee

SD330 - int 226 x 80
320AD - int 240 x 66

SD330 - 48kg
320AD - 36kg??

There is a big difference in weight, however the reasons for that are IMO all posative. Heavier gauge pvc, double seamed on stress points, wider internally and a much "beefier" transom.
The downside to that extra width & weight is max speed, the SD330 will be slightly slower under the same conditions. IMO the SD330 is a better quality sib, but full disclosure - I have an Excel SD360.

The big advantage with both airdecks is the overall weight can be split up. For example SD330 main sib approx 36kg - the airdeck, seats, oars 12kg.
Obviously this makes what appears to be heavy lump much more manageable.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about the KB350 apart from the reviews I have read, which in the main have been posative.
Old 28 September 2023, 08:44   #6

Thanks for all your advice and suggestions folks.

After further research and reflection and meeting a local small RIB owner and his boat I came to the conclusion that fitting a SIB and outboard in my VW camper might be practical for day trips but not really so for anything longer. Also it seems that many of SIB owners end up with a trailer.

So bit the bullet and had a towbar fitted (nearly £200 cheaper in Glasgow than Fort William) and have now bought Scooby's previous 3.8 Quicksilver and Yamaha 25 setup which he had for sale on here. It's far better sorted out than anything that a novice such as myself could have achieved and I'm really looking forward to enjoying exploring the lochs and eventually islands in it. I just need to sort my accessories and emergency kit and wait for Storm Agnes to go on her way.

If any locals or visitors are up for putting a novice on the right track give me a shout.

Thanks again, Nick
Old 28 September 2023, 09:05   #7

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Well done that will be a great outfit... and you live in just the area to make the most of it.
Old 28 September 2023, 09:16   #8

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Hello from near Fort William

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjay View Post
Thanks for all your advice and suggestions folks.

After further research and reflection and meeting a local small RIB owner and his boat I came to the conclusion that fitting a SIB and outboard in my VW camper might be practical for day trips but not really so for anything longer. Also it seems that many of SIB owners end up with a trailer.

So bit the bullet and had a towbar fitted (nearly £200 cheaper in Glasgow than Fort William) and have now bought Scooby's previous 3.8 Quicksilver and Yamaha 25 setup which he had for sale on here. It's far better sorted out than anything that a novice such as myself could have achieved and I'm really looking forward to enjoying exploring the lochs and eventually islands in it. I just need to sort my accessories and emergency kit and wait for Storm Agnes to go on her way.

If any locals or visitors are up for putting a novice on the right track give me a shout.

Thanks again, Nick

We’ll done. You’re in a fantastic part of the country for boating, lucky man! Start off with local easy trips in good weather & let your experience & confidence grow. Always push yourself that little bit further each time to the edge of your comfort zone. Trust me, the boat will be capable of more than you are, you’ll bottle it before the boat does. So don’t be afraid of going that little bit further each time.
Most importantly, have fun.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2023, 09:47   #9

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
It's a cracking outfit that Scooby had and he'd fitted it out really nicely. I've been on a couple of camping trips with him when he had it and I was very impressed, it handles the rough stuff very well.
I think one of my first trips would be from Ballachulish Marina and around Loch Leven, big enough to have a good time but sheltered enough (or at least it was every time I've been) to build confidence.
I'm sure you'll have a great time in it, especially where you live.