Old 12 July 2023, 09:32   #1

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Laureate
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard
RIBase
Hampshire Humber Owner

Hello folks. I was a member here many years ago, but following the purchase of a Humber Destroyer 6.0m, I'm back!

I've operated Humber Destroyers in Antarctica for BAS and know them to be absolutely dependable in all conditions. I was once caught out by the Southern Ocean weather bringing one back to base along the South Georgia coast and it brought me and crew safely back home 10 miles through 60 knots and a 5m+ sea.

Over the past month or so, I've been doing a complete electronics upgrade and refit, including Garmin 923XSV chart plotter, Garmin repeater instruments, Garmin GPS antenna and heading sensor, B&G VHF / AIS transponder etc and Baystar hydraulic steering. I'm also about to fit new seat cushions and seat backs etc. when they arrive from Humber. The boat will be used for family fun / adventuring around the Solent and South Coast.

However, I do feel slightly foolish (more so than usual). The starboard-aft tube has started deflating at a faster rate - now over 24 hours or so, and I've just noticed minor water ingress beneath both aft sponsons. A re-tube is not on the cards this year following the electronics fit-out and now I'm wishing I'd kept the old electronics and replaced the tubes instead...

Can anybody recommend a good rib tube repairer who could visit the boat on site at Trafalgar Wharf, Portsmouth? She is drystacked and doesn't have a road trailer. I've tried Scott at Rib Repair in Lymington who would need the boat taking to his workshop. I've also left a message with RIBBIT in Portchester.

The tubes are aging, but apart from the issues aft, they are otherwise perfect. No patches, no leaks. Just hoping to find someone willing to make her good for this year, then all being well, the re-tube will come next year.
Old 12 July 2023, 20:30   #2

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Try naz at venture marine in salisbury ,i dont know if he does site work or not but i had a retube with him couple of years ago and he,s one of the good guys ! if he cant help i am sure he will direct you
Old 13 July 2023, 08:12   #3

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Black Bear
Make: Ribeye A683
Engine: Yamaha F225
MMSI: 232039276
Also try Kieran at Ribshop in Hamble. They do everything from small repairs to full re-tubes.
Old 14 September 2023, 11:48   #4

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Laureate
Engine: Outboard
RIBase
Thanks for the replies. I used Kieran at Ribshop. He did a great job, very professional and pleasant to deal with.
Old 15 September 2023, 05:59   #5

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Clyde adventurer
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Merc 150 4str
There’s this guy on FB. I don’t know him but work looks good https://www.facebook.com/B.A.RIBSLTD