Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 13 April 2013, 10:40   #1
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Gresham Or
Boat name: Money Pit
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: in process
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 11
First RIB!

I am absolutely new to inflatable boats! So, I just bought a Zodiac F 470 used. I have been looking a little, mostly craigslist & the local shops, & this one showed up on a trailer, & looks like it needs a little work. So, I figure this forum might be a good place to start the adventure! My kids are really looking forward to whats ahead, my wife, she will come around when she see's the smiles on the kids faces........Anyway, I will be worming for advice as I go!
__________________

__________________
twtrk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2013, 00:48   #2
Member
 
Troy's Avatar
 
Country: Australia
Boat name: SEAL
Make: Zodiac Hurricane
Length: 7m +
Engine: Steyr 260Hp
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 82
Welcome from Australia
__________________

__________________
Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2013, 01:21   #3
Member
 
paddlers's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,107
Welcome & good luck with your boat.
__________________
paddlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2013, 16:15   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: N. Devon
Boat name: Nutkin Too
Make: X-Pro Defender
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard, Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235095884
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,564
RIBase
Good choice sir - welcome
__________________
Andy

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2013, 12:27   #5
Member
 
F470's Avatar
 
Country: USA
Town: Portland
Boat name: Tilikum
Make: Zodiac FC-470
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DT-40
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 246
Also new here. I just received my FC-470 on Friday and I'm located in Portland as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twtrk1 View Post
I am absolutely new to inflatable boats! So, I just bought a Zodiac F 470 used. I have been looking a little, mostly craigslist & the local shops, & this one showed up on a trailer, & looks like it needs a little work. So, I figure this forum might be a good place to start the adventure! My kids are really looking forward to whats ahead, my wife, she will come around when she see's the smiles on the kids faces........Anyway, I will be worming for advice as I go!
__________________
F470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2013, 14:30   #6
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Gresham Or
Boat name: Money Pit
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: in process
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 11
I am looking forward to some good times! I took the boat to IBC in Portland, & its getting a check up. Man are those stinkin valves expensive!! Anyway, I'm also looking for a 40hp short shaft outboard, of course the boat didn't have a motor. But its a process......
__________________
twtrk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2013, 14:58   #7
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,984
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by twtrk1 View Post
Anyway, I'm also looking for a 40hp short shaft outboard
I thought that those took a long (20") shaft?
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2013, 20:54   #8
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Gresham Or
Boat name: Money Pit
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: in process
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 11
I have an older F470 & I have been told I need a short shaft motor, or modify the transom for a long shaft motor.
__________________
twtrk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2013, 00:52   #9
Member
 
martini's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,027
FC470's can be specced for short or long shaft, long is more common though.
You'll have to measure the height of your transom and post the results here to be sure.

Sent from my portable speaking device using Rib.net
__________________
martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2013, 11:00   #10
Member
 
F470's Avatar
 
Country: USA
Town: Portland
Boat name: Tilikum
Make: Zodiac FC-470
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DT-40
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 246
Not exactly what I wanted to hear as I suspect my valves need repair/replacement as well. How much are they? I'm taking mine in to IBC this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twtrk1 View Post
I am looking forward to some good times! I took the boat to IBC in Portland, & its getting a check up. Man are those stinkin valves expensive!! Anyway, I'm also looking for a 40hp short shaft outboard, of course the boat didn't have a motor. But its a process......
__________________
F470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2013, 11:26   #11
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Gresham Or
Boat name: Money Pit
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: in process
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 11
It sounds like around $ 150-200 to rebuild a valve, & $600 to replace a valve with a new one. I have been told the valves don't have to be replaced very often unless they get nasty corrosion-like left in a pool of salt water for along time. O rings & springs sounded like common issues with the valves. They were working on a couple of FC470's for Police agencies & had a 530?? (BIG BOAT) for the Coast Guard. anyway, hoping their knowledge & expertise with these military grade boats isn't too expensive, although it is a boat$$$.......
__________________
twtrk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2013, 11:50   #12
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,958
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
Good choice sir - welcome
From me too!...Had some great fun in my Old Zodi
__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2013, 20:59   #13
Member
 
F470's Avatar
 
Country: USA
Town: Portland
Boat name: Tilikum
Make: Zodiac FC-470
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DT-40
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 246
Did you get your boat back from repair? What was the damage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twtrk1 View Post
It sounds like around $ 150-200 to rebuild a valve, & $600 to replace a valve with a new one. I have been told the valves don't have to be replaced very often unless they get nasty corrosion-like left in a pool of salt water for along time. O rings & springs sounded like common issues with the valves. They were working on a couple of FC470's for Police agencies & had a 530?? (BIG BOAT) for the Coast Guard. anyway, hoping their knowledge & expertise with these military grade boats isn't too expensive, although it is a boat$$$.......
__________________
F470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2013, 10:45   #14
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Gresham Or
Boat name: Money Pit
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: in process
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 11
The bill was $560. They rebuilt a couple of the valves, repaired a couple others valves, reattached the inflation tube for the transom, & installed the floor with the correct hardware. So, the bill is not as bad as it could have been-they did a good job of preparing my expectations. I couldn't find any instructions on-line for installing the floor, so I wanted to see it done correctly once, if I'm gonna strap a 40hp motor to that thing, I want the floor secure!
__________________
twtrk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2013, 13:53   #15
Member
 
F470's Avatar
 
Country: USA
Town: Portland
Boat name: Tilikum
Make: Zodiac FC-470
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DT-40
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 246
Sounds reasonable. What kind of floor do you have? Is it aluminum roll up or solid aluminum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twtrk1 View Post
The bill was $560. They rebuilt a couple of the valves, repaired a couple others valves, reattached the inflation tube for the transom, & installed the floor with the correct hardware. So, the bill is not as bad as it could have been-they did a good job of preparing my expectations. I couldn't find any instructions on-line for installing the floor, so I wanted to see it done correctly once, if I'm gonna strap a 40hp motor to that thing, I want the floor secure!
__________________
F470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2013, 10:45   #16
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Gresham Or
Boat name: Money Pit
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: in process
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 11
I have the roll-up aluminum floor.
__________________
twtrk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2013, 12:36   #17
Member
 
F470's Avatar
 
Country: USA
Town: Portland
Boat name: Tilikum
Make: Zodiac FC-470
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DT-40
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 246
That floor needs hardware to install? I have the same one and mine had no hardware. Just wedged in there.

My estimate came out to $1000 so it seems I had quite a bit more work on mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twtrk1 View Post
I have the roll-up aluminum floor.
__________________

__________________
F470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rib

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.