Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBnet Europe
Click Here to Login

Old 12 February 2008, 14:58   #1

Town: peterborough
Length: no boat
useing a rib commercially in spain??

hi all, im looking to start a buisness in spain useing a rib commercially. basic outline is a rib around 6.5m for taxying groups of say 5 to an island 2 miles off shore with a snorkel stop off and back, im new to ribbin so iv been trawling around trying to get an idea of what boat is best, ie seating for all (not sat on tubes), deep v hull? - does get windy there, an of course reliability - since owning a property there im a little wiser now, put it like this i have read posts here reading the troubles some of you have locating parts..........there - more chance of winng the lotto!! so good quality second hand? or spankin new with no worries of the out board goin pop! (budget 12-15k)
secondly this is probably a topic on its own but any recomends on commercial insurance companys that would cover this?

any info mucho apprecio!! alex
Old 12 February 2008, 18:09   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 HP
Alex

Im sure you will get plenty of reccomendation form people on her as to what they consider the best RIB. However with your budegt your are definatly looking second hand if you want to comfortably seat 6.

Im sure you have considered it but you will need to become qualified, this is unfortuantly not as straight forward as you would hope as the Spanish authorities in different ports seem to ask for different certificates, however I have several friend and customers who have set up businesse on the Med coats of Spain and can tell ytou ehat they have had to do, give me a call in the offoce next week 02380 231122 (Im at sea until Sunday) if you need any help.

Regarding insurance I cant help, the company we use speciaise in training and covers our other activities as an extra, they will not take skippered charter or rides as primary business. Or for that matter overseas.
Old 12 February 2008, 22:35   #3

Town: peterborough
Length: no boat
thanks doug

well to be honest that doesnt come as any suprise, you should see whats involved in buying a second hand car!! well the port is corralejo in fuerteventura (canary islands) il see if i can contact these first and take it from there if i get no joy il drop you a line, in other words il call you ha ha

cheers alex