Old 17 June 2012, 15:29   #1

Town: South East
Length: 3m +
Transom replacement

I've picked up an old Avon S340 with a rotton transom, which I have removed to use as a template to make a new one from. Any hints and tips on how to attach the new transom to the old tubes? Materials/glues/techniques to use? I've done small hypalon patches before, but nothing on this scale.
Old 17 June 2012, 15:36   #2

Town: Bangor
Boat name: Lencraft 4.8m
Make: Lencraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: DT55HP Suzuki
quite a few tips here

Zodiac Dinghy Transom Repair « Polymarine Paints, Adhesives, Parts & Accessories

that's for a pvc dingy but I think the process would be the same just different glues and solvents which poly marine sell.
Old 18 June 2012, 18:44   #3

Town: South East
Thanks for that. Anyone know of anywhere that you can get hold of the black rubber parts that the transom sits in which are either side of the transom in picture 1 on that link?
Old 26 June 2012, 04:24   #4
MEE

Town: Jacksonville, Florida
Boat name: Blue Bomber
Make: Bombard
Engine: Outboard Nissan 8hp
I am currently restoring my transom as well. I drilled out all soft spots and filled with epoxy and some fiberglass. I was advised by NRS to consider G-flex epoxy to join my epoxy/fiberglass coated wood transom to the rubber tube mounts. Then sta-bond urethane for the rubber tube mounts to my pvc tube joints. I am still evaluating this approach. I need to calculate how much g-flex i would need as it comes in 8 oz tubes.
Old 09 July 2012, 01:50   #5
MEE

Town: Jacksonville, Florida
Boat name: Blue Bomber
Make: Bombard
Engine: Outboard Nissan 8hp
UPDATE: I talked to West Systems about ther G-flex epoxy and they recommended the "thickened" version of G-flex. It will stay in the join and not run out like the standard G-flex due to the geometry of the socket joint to the transum. For surface prep they recomended de-greasing the rubber mounts and transum board with acetone or laquer thinner and wiping it while still wet with clean white paper towels. Do not use raggs as they are more likely to stransfer contaimination from fabric softeners or other materials that may come from laundry. Then rough the surface with dry 80 grit sand paper. I have ordered this material and will be making this joint later this month. I will let you know how it worked out.