Old 21 August 2022, 17:40   #1

Town: Calne
Length: 3m +
T40?

Hi guys, new to the group and new to boating. A bit of a back story, I used to live in Poole for 30+ years now live near Swindon. I've been fishing on and off for most of my life, usually with very little to show for it. The girlfriend, 2 kids and I spent the week in Poole a few weeks back and I don't think it took much to convince the Mrs if we had a boat we could have cheap weekends away next year exploring poole quay, swanage, sandbanks and other places in the area as my mum and sisters still live down there (this should read free bed and food) So my thinking is a honwave t40 and a suitable engine that can be built at home and trailered down use and abuse it for a few days then home, clean/flush then put it back away in the shed and disassemble them trailer till next time, I say disassemble the trailer as I'm a mechanic/fabricator so will make/adapt a trailer for my needs. What are your thoughts on this?
Old 21 August 2022, 22:07   #2

Town: Exmouth
Boat name: Poison
Make: XS Ribs
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard, petrol 225
Sort of yes, a great idea! The only challenge is a T40 with 4 up really needs 20hp and that’s a heavy lump to be taking off and on, it’s doable with 2 able adults, but something to consider. I’m assuming storage doesn’t allow for a small permanently rigged rib?
Old 21 August 2022, 22:21   #3

Town: Calne
No real permanent storage as I've converted the garage to a home pub. I was thinking 25hp 2 stroke. But will have to wait and see what the winter brings price wise.
Old 22 August 2022, 14:21   #4

Town: Birmingham
Boat name: Grey Reef
Make: Smartwave
Engine: Tohatsu MFS20E EPTL
I used to have a T40 with a 20hp 4 stroke Mariner on the back. Would get up and plane well with 2 of us and a bit of gear in it, although it was quite heavy to handball around. I went from disassembling everything and carrying in the back of my then Tourneo, to adapting a Brenderup camping trailer for the boat, boards and motor, before finally making my own bunked trailer so I could inflate and assemble it all at home and just drop it in the water once on site.

I sold it and went for a plastic Smartwave 3500 in the end because I found the T40 too heavy to maneuver about across beaches and so on without damaging the fairly flimsy PVC bottom.
Old 31 August 2022, 21:30   #5

Town: Southampton
Make: avon adventure 4.5
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp e-tec
The t38 is nearly as big but is lighter once assembled due to the air deck. T40=86kg, t38=48kg. Both heavy to lift but one doable by one in a push, the other is def a 2 person lift. I run a t38 with an 18hp tohatsu and it goes very well, I am sure 15hp would be fine too. Just a thought. Both are fine little boats though