Old 24 March 2021, 17:15   #1

Town: Chelmsford
Length: 4m +
So how are you all getting ready

Now we are getting a nice hint of Spring and the lockdown is about to ease so that if local we can go out in our boats. Inspired by a few you tube videos I set about getting some of my stuff ready. I started the 60hp on the rib and it fired up well but I need a new impeller in that engine (now ordered) as it is about 4 years old and is not pumping as strong as I would like.

But I also fired up the Tohatsu 9.8 2 stroke ready for our first little Sib outing. I am pleased to say it started on about the 5th Pull and that was using some very old (about 10 months) petrol

What are you all doing to get ready.

I know Donny will soon be moving into his new Pad which I am sure we all wish him well with

Old 24 March 2021, 20:00   #2

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
where did you get that 9.8 from ,reckon that would look nice on my new honwave ! are they any good ?
Old 25 March 2021, 18:27   #3

Got the 15 hp Merc 2 Stroke running today. Took a few pulls and still backfires occasionally (Thought I had fixed that) Generally runs good though

Old 27 March 2021, 15:42   #4

So today I decided to get the 4.5 m Rib ready with the 60 hp Mariner 2 stroke on the back. At the end of last year I felt the tell tale was not peeing as hard as it did and as the Impeller has been in there about 4 years I thought it time for a new one. Not a difficult job provided the bolts come undone ok which they did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	impeller 1.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	136711   Click image for larger version

Name:	impeller 2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	136712   Click image for larger version

Name:	impeller 3.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	136713   Click image for larger version

Name:	impeller 4.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	136714  
Old 27 March 2021, 15:45   #5

Here is a video of it pumping after the job was complete (Job took about 1.5hrs) in all and went ok.

A shout our here also for Cambridge outboards who sent me the wrong impeller initially but after I sent them a message they called me and were incredibly helpful

Old 27 March 2021, 15:46   #6

We then did a general clean of the boat and greased stuff and checked stuff and were good to go..... Packed up all the tools and about to go in for a cup of tea and I thought you have not checked the steering. I tried to turn the wheel and for the first time ever on this boat it was seized........... Bugger so out came all the tools again.

I took the linkage of the engine and determined that it was the Ultraflex cable that was corroded. I greased and oiled where I could and then hammered the end with a rubber hammer and it was free...... A few turns from full lock to full lock the other way and it was as good as new.

I think I need a new steering wheel as the one I have (Ultraflex 5 spoke job) has come rather loose at the spokes. It will be fun getting that off the splines I am sure
Old 27 March 2021, 15:53   #7

Her indoors cleaning the old girl

Old 29 March 2021, 17:04   #8

Well today I had a think about the loose spokes on my Teleflex steering wheel. I had ordered a new one at £59 but decided to have a go at fixing it as what had I got to loose. Also these are always very hard to pull off even with a puller and it had all the hallmarks of breaking something trying to get it off. Having bought a 3D printer and been learning tinker cad I decided to design and print something to see if I could strengthen the spoke up a little. I have succeeded enough such that I have cancelled the order for the new steering wheel. Time will tell of course.

I designed a little cone that fitted over the spoke with a slit in the back that I have filled with CT1 and in effect glued this over the spoke and to the centre hub which has given the spoke in effect a 25 ish mm base to stop it from moving. I think the wheel is about 60 % better than it was and it was not unusable to start with.

If it works it will be a saving towards the cost of the Printer (which was only £150 in the first place and has already been quite a lot of fun).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wheel.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	136731  
Old 29 March 2021, 17:19   #9

This was my design of the cones which are the black things at the centre of the wheel hub in the picture above
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cone.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	136732