Old 20 August 2014, 17:30   #1

Town: Lisbon
Make: Suzumar
Length: 3m +
Should I go for it?

So I bought my first SIB just some months ago and I've been using it a lot this past month. So far I am loving it but it's limitations are obvious and upgrades are constantly coming into my mind. So much that I have been browsing the internet, looking for what could be my next SIB. For some days I have been dreaming with the Quicksilver Heavy Duty, thinking it would be the perfect boat for me, as I'm an avid spearfisher. And then I find this:

http://riomaior-riomaior.olx.pt/barc...-iid-460055737

2.650€ the whole pack (trailer included), taxed and ready to go.

I would prefer the aluminum floor and the outboard seems to be a 2 stroke (which isn't ideal for me), but for the price I can't really complain.

Am I nuts if I let this one slide by?
Old 20 August 2014, 18:34   #2

Make: Zodiac Mk I
Engine: 15 hp Yam two stroke
Looks great,you could get a good setup there.
Old 20 August 2014, 21:10   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatnomad View Post
Looks great,you could get a good setup there.
My thoughts exactly.

BTW, does anyone now what size this should be? To me it looks like a 365 but it could be bigger?
Old 22 August 2014, 08:52   #4

No more opinions? Come on guys I'm about to break the bank and I don't want to make a mistake.

Do you think I can get a better deal if I wait more time or should i just pull the trigger on this and get a sib for the next 10 years?
Old 22 August 2014, 09:05   #5

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Hi it's a 3.8m nice quality very heavy and will do about 20knots, my mate had one and it was as fast as my Aerotec 3.8 with a 15hp 2st on it
I nearly bought the same boat as this with the Yam 25 on it new 7 odd years ago got £2300 but ended up picking up my Aerotec instead, for what it's worth both mates that bought just what you are looking at didn't rate them too highly and both have sold I have still got the Aerotec and don't think I would never sell her
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2014, 09:18   #6

That's the kind of feedback I was looking for. Thanks mate.

20 knots seems ok. I know it's no aerotec for sure, but the aerotec seems to be on a different league. BTW, now it's called the futura, right?

They sold the boat because it was too heavy? That's my main concern because 100 kg is 40 kg more than what would be expected for a boat this size. It should really be heavy duty.
Old 22 August 2014, 09:31   #7

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Nothing to do with the futura they are by Zodiac, this is branded by Quicksilver but no longer available.
One sold and moved on to a rib as he was still having to trailer it ( he thought it could be packed up in the car no way!) the other got rid as it was just too heavy for that they needed
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2014, 09:45   #8

I was talking about the aerotec now being called the futura. The Quicksilver HD is now the Mercury HD, I think. Am I right?

He couldn't fit it in the car even folding the seats? I wasn't planning on doing that but it's always good to have that option.

Do you think that with proper beach wheels I can launch it from the beach with another mate?
Old 22 August 2014, 14:19   #9

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
The Futura and the Aerotec are different boats, although they are both produced by the Zodiac group (Zodiac bought Bombard years ago). The Zodiac Futura is the best flat air floor boat and the Bombard Aerotec is the best V air floor boat. (IMHO of course, but i'm right )

The rig looks great, solid dependable and with a decent engine. I would pay that money for it in England, but as discussed before, have no idea of values in your neck of the woods.

A word of warning, dont fool yourself in to believing this is your 'forever' boat, it isnt. By this time next year you will be looking for a bigger boat or a bigger engine. But thats OK, we all go through it. As long as you are happy with the boat now and its at a price you are comfortable with, get it bought. You can always sell it again later.
Old 22 August 2014, 18:23   #10

Thanks Landlockedpirate. I knew I could count on your wise opinion.

I saw the rig today and it was basically brand new. It was bought new by some old man and he didn't like his first experience at sea and kept it in the garage ever since. Then sold it to another guy witch had plans for it but ended up never using the boat since he has a bigger boat.

The boat is indeed a 380 and the price is 2.650€ (£2120) with the trailer (that has never seen salt water in his life). It's nearly half the price of the other Quicksilver HD I found and on third of it's value brand new.

As for going bigger in the future, you're probably right. It took me just one month to think about something bigger...
The thing is, in Portugal 25 hp is the maximum power you can have without having to pay taxes yearly. 30 hp costs 60€ per year and 100 hp costs 200€. I already have to pay insurance (70€) and I would like to keep its costs as low as possible. Staying at 25 hp is the only way possible. Therefore I can't go much bigger, maybe 4.20 m at max for 25 hp.