Old 26 February 2019, 21:49   #1

Town: Cumbria
Boat name: Honwav t30 ae
Make: Honda
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp
Sea safe

Hi just a new boy :-). Getting a new honwav t30 ae with 15hp 4 stroke Honda outboard. Want to fish and head out to sea. Stupid question probably but here goes.

What do I need to do to be sea safe , do I need a course or the like.

Getting flares , radio, got life jackets . What else needed .

Is the 3m sib to small folk said ok for 3 folk 2 adults and 10 year old..

Thx
Steve
Old 27 February 2019, 05:53   #2

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
3 metres is on the small side for 3 people in waves.

It would be safe, although perhaps a bit crowded, on a river or calm sea.

At the very minimum, you will need a decent anchor, a couple of metres of galvanised chain, and 50 metres/yards of anchor line. If your engine fails, or you end up in any sort of difficulty, it's good to be able to drop anchor and sort the problem out without drifting out to sea or onto the rocks.

Oars or paddles. At the bare minimum, you need a method of moving the boat if the engine fails.

Spare fuel and a way of getting it to the engine. That means either a decent sized remote tank, or a small can and a funnel. Other more sophisticated arrangements are available.

Different jurisdictions have specific rules on what safety equipment you should carry. A hand held VHS is good, although there are usually licensing rules. A pack of hand held flares is good. In a 3 metre SIB, you are likely to remain fairly close to shore and only be out in good conditions so you may decide to risk not having these things.

Spare spark plug and plug wrench.

Small pump. The tubes will change pressure during the day depending on temperature.

Baler. Water will get into the boat.

Personal buoyancy: a lifejacket or buoyancy aid for everyone.

Food, water, sun protection cream, hat, sunglasses.

The bottom of a small SIB can rapidly become cluttered with safety equipment, spares and "just one more bag".

You will have a lot of fun, but taking a small boat in the sea is not to be taken lightly.

Of course, if you only intend to potter about the bay within 1/4 mile of the beach, and there are plenty of other water users about, you can manage with less kit. If you are heading for remote coves and distant horizons, you will need more.

Anchor, chain, and long rope, and paddles or oars is the bare minimum safety kit for any boat.
Old 27 February 2019, 06:18   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbria View Post

What do I need to do to be sea safe , do I need a course or the like.

Legally no (in the uk). Logically if you are asking these questions yes.
Old 27 February 2019, 06:48   #4

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
In our cold waters I'd say a wetsuit or drysuit is an essential but of kit. It wouldn't matter how strong a swimmer you were if someone were to enter the water.
Old 27 February 2019, 07:08   #5

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Usual answer is to get yourself on the PB2 course before hitting the water, especially as poly says if you are asking these questions. It will cover all the basics of safety and kit required for you and your crew as well give you a practical start in how to handle and pilot a boat. Good fun too.

If you are buying a VHF then to use is (legally) you also need to do the basic VHF course.
Old 27 February 2019, 07:20   #6

Worried

Is the sib i am getting 2 small. I am sure could go a bit bigger before I pick it up

2 adults and 1 kid
Old 27 February 2019, 07:25   #7

I can't stress how worthwhile I found the PB2 course. I have however drawn the line at purchasing flares which are expensive and have a shelf life are are a pain to dispose of.

I didn't let the vhf license put me off getting this essential item, often there will be no mobile phone signal. I'll use it (legally) in an emergency and listen othertimes. Maybe I'll do the course one day.

I also draw the line carrying spark plugs lol. Modern fuel injected engines are ultra reliable.

I made a mistake of buying a SIB that was too big. Sure size adds safety but the weight wasn't safe to my back lumping the thing around. 3 to 3.5m is optimum I think and watch the forecast.

Since the PB2 I started buying an Imray paper chart for the area we are boating in. Very cheap and often available used on Fleabay £5 to £10. (They are waterproof)
Old 27 February 2019, 07:46   #8

Town: Lancaster
Boat name: Sisu
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
MMSI: 235912526
As a conflicting view I’d say get something bigger than 3m. I had a 3.3m and in the sea when the waves or chop get up it’s not pleasant. In fact it was verging on frightening. No way I would use that boat with my wife and a child on board anywhere other than lakes and gentle rivers.

If you’re getting a Honwave 3m I assume it’s an aluminium deck? Strong but not fun to build and disassemble each trip. Air decks are light, strong and easy to blow up and take down.

If you’re wanting to go to sea with some of the group and maybe later with your family my advice would be get a Honwave T38. A 15hp motor will still push it ok. Maybe look for a used boat or motor to keep the budget down?

Ps Blatent plug but I have a Mariner 15hp 4stroke that’s less than a year old for sale. pm for details.

I bought a 3.3m. Which was ok, but after one sea trip I upgraded to a 3.8m.
Old 27 February 2019, 08:03   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzago View Post
As a conflicting view I’d say get something bigger than 3m. I had a 3.3m and in the sea when the waves or chop get up it’s not pleasant. In fact it was verging on frightening.

I bought a 3.3m. Which was ok, but after one sea trip I upgraded to a 3.8m.
Agreed but even 3.8m was not big enough to calm my wife's nerves. Moving to a 4.2m RIB with jockey seat is light years better but where do you stop?

'Saving Lives at Sea' tv program has a lot to answer for. However I countered by getting Mrs Limecc on the PB2 course which built her confidence.
Old 27 February 2019, 08:06   #10

Town: Lancaster
Boat name: Sisu
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
MMSI: 235912526
Limecc. Totally agree with you. I guess a sib around 4m is ideal to handle the chop and also be able to be handled. They get surprisingly heavy the bigger they get [emoji1303]
Old 27 February 2019, 08:11   #11

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
We have used various sizes, our 3.8m Aerotec was ok in some fairly interesting conditions, but having used a variety of boats I wouldn’t want to go smaller than that personally, it was a good size for three people with some bags and safety kit. I actually have it for sale as well, can PM if interested.

Nowadays after using boats for over two and a half decades I must admit to preferring a rib for rough weather. But as a starter for some good coastal fun, a 3.8m sib with 15-20hp is a great way to get going for a few years!!! [emoji106]
Old 27 February 2019, 08:27   #12

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>> 3.8m Aerotec was ok in some fairly interesting conditions, but having used a variety of boats I wouldn’t want to go smaller than that personally, it was a good size for three people with some bags and safety kit.

Agreed... I reckon unless you are on solo expeditions like The Gurnard with his sub 3m Frib then 3.5-3.8m is the sweet spot for a sib being OK with more challenging conditions but still manageable ashore.
Old 27 February 2019, 08:29   #13

Need a final bot advice . Can go to 35ae or a 32 blow up floor

What would u do
Old 27 February 2019, 08:43   #14

I've owned a 3.5ae and sold it in the end due to the faff of fitting and dismantling the alloy floor each outing plus the weight handling when ashore both inflated and when in its bags packed away (about 160lbs total). However it was a super stable outfit and roomy for its length. Also found its weight and size took more speed off a 15hp than any other sib I used that outboard with (3.4/3.6/3.8m air floors).

The air floor 3.2m Honwave (86lbs) is well regarded and a popular start point for sibbing… but many upgrade from that to the 3.8m air floor Honwave (106lbs) in a year or two.

Are you looking new and budget limited. If so perhaps consider a used 3.8 air floor Honwave??
Old 27 February 2019, 08:50   #15

Quote:
Need a final bot advice . Can go to 35ae or a 32 blow up floor

What would u do
Depends on your budget and preference for buying new. I wouldn't get the alloy floor personally. Although your kit will transfer between boats this is also a major initial outlay.

If you buy a used boat then not too much money lost if you decide to upgrade. Cost me a grand for only one year of ownership, you could be like my buyer and locate a bargain. Good offers to you in this thread.
Old 27 February 2019, 08:52   #16

A little bit depends on the size of your family members too. If you and partner are average-small size and 10yr old similar a 3.2m can feel loads better than if filled with folks over average size/weight.

BTW Cumbria do you have the Honda 15hp already or will that be new too?
Old 27 February 2019, 08:55   #17

Ok so t38 best for storage and size with the air floor and 15hp . A new budget not most important it's the boat
Old 27 February 2019, 08:59   #18

Do you mean you want to buy new at all costs?
Old 27 February 2019, 08:59   #19

Quote:
Ok so t38 best for storage and size with the air floor and 15hp . A new budget not most important it's the boat
20hp is the same weight and size yet only a little more expensive. Worthwhile IMHO.
Old 27 February 2019, 09:05   #20

>>>20hp is the same weight and size yet only a little more expensive.

It's a devil isn't it. Cumbria comes on here with a good idea what he wants and we're starting mission creep adding £400 to the sib cost and now toying with £350 more on the OB!