Old 29 November 2023, 15:33   #1

Town: Swansea
Boat name: X pro
Make: 3d tender
Length: 3m +
Engine: 30hp 4 stroke
Removable seat box

I’m looking to purchase or make a storage box with a front opening preferably that I can fix my seat and swivel to. Ideally I don’t want to fix it to the floor so I can move it around my small 3.9 rib with a tiller to suit if I’m fishing or in transit. The seats 450mm x 450mm so would have to be around that size for stability. Any recommendation would be helpful, I’m sure someone on here had made something similar. Never ending this boat game and it’s a good addiction lol cheers all
Old 29 November 2023, 18:02   #2

Town: Leicester
Make: Yam
I've got a YETI cool box that fits very tight between the tubes on my SIB.

In this photo I have the bench seat installed, but I stopped bothering with that and just used the yeti. Its not exactly what you asked, but I believe they do a cushion to make it more comfy. its a very good cool box.
Old 29 November 2023, 18:14   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankton View Post
I've got a YETI cool box that fits very tight between the tubes on my SIB.

In this photo I have the bench seat installed, but I stopped bothering with that and just used the yeti. Its not exactly what you asked, but I believe they do a cushion to make it more comfy. its a very good cool box.
Yes I’ve got a similar size igloo cooler but with the swivel and the seat on top of it it sits to high unfortunately. Very hard to find the right size cooler or tool box which is around the sizes needed but also sits about 300mm. I might be trying to do something which isn’t doable haha
Old 29 November 2023, 18:16   #4

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Hi Jenks, it's doable but I think you'll be getting your tools out and making something.
Old 29 November 2023, 18:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Hi Jenks, it's doable but I think you'll be getting your tools out and making something.
Yea seems that way, some marine ply and some water proof spray paint maybe the way forward. Want to make it so I dont need my fishing box so anything from that can sit under the seat box then.
Old 29 November 2023, 18:30   #6

You don't need to use marine ply, it's overkill if its sat above the waterline. Good quality WPB Exterior Ply is more than up to the job providing all the open end cuts are well sealed before you assemble it together.
You can spray it, but make sure its primed (zinsser bin 123 - solvent based) before you spray it. I'd then use an exterior varnish (not water based) for a couple of top coats.
An alternative would be to epoxy it.
Old 29 November 2023, 18:52   #7

Quote:
You don't need to use marine ply, it's overkill if its sat above the waterline. Good quality WPB Exterior Ply is more than up to the job providing all the open end cuts are well sealed before you assemble it together.
You can spray it, but make sure its primed (zinsser bin 123 - solvent based) before you spray it. I'd then use an exterior varnish (not water based) for a couple of top coats.
An alternative would be to epoxy it.
Ok brilliant, can get hardwood exterior ply pretty cheap and would only need one sheet. Think this might well be the way forward. Only need to fit my fishing boxes inside for easy access as the rest goes in the bench bag and in the bow locker
Old 29 November 2023, 19:06   #8

This thread may or may not, help

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/winter...cts-84986.html
Old 29 November 2023, 19:26   #9

Quote:
Brilliant thanks for this Steve, I think a bespoke box will be the way forward. I’ve got the seat and swivel so a little project to get on with until I can get back out on the rib.
Old 30 November 2023, 06:31   #10

Town: Lancaster
Length: under 3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenks87 View Post
I’m looking to purchase or make a storage box with a front opening preferably that I can fix my seat and swivel to. Ideally I don’t want to fix it to the floor so I can move it around my small 3.9 rib with a tiller to suit if I’m fishing or in transit. The seats 450mm x 450mm so would have to be around that size for stability. Any recommendation would be helpful, I’m sure someone on here had made something similar. Never ending this boat game and it’s a good addiction lol cheers all
Years ago when I had an open grp fishing boat, I had a folding seat bolted to the lid of a Shakespeare seat box. I put a square piece of ½" ply on top first and repair washers inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191201_151245.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	144255  
Old 30 November 2023, 06:47   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy c View Post
Years ago when I had an open grp fishing boat, I had a folding seat bolted to the lid of a Shakespeare seat box. I put a square piece of ½" ply on top first and repair washers inside.
Was literally about to purchase one of these before I came on here, how did you find it? Solid enough? Obvs at speed I would be holding onto the rope on the tube so wouldn’t matter too much.
Old 30 November 2023, 07:29   #12

Town: Lancaster
Length: under 3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenks87 View Post
Was literally about to purchase one of these before I came on here, how did you find it? Solid enough? Obvs at speed I would be holding onto the rope on the tube so wouldn’t matter too much.
For the benefits it gave me it was great.
Mine wasn't on a swivel. I just had it rear facing so when you opened the lid the seat remained folded and when sat on it there was no chance of the lid opening in a swell.
It was actually very stable even when leaning back.
The only negative was it was slightly heavy when full of gear and a bit awkward to carry but I used it for years on my fishing boat and even took it on fishing charters
Have you got an ally floor?
You can always 'wedge' it somewhere.
Old 30 November 2023, 07:37   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy c View Post
For the benefits it gave me it was great.
Mine wasn't on a swivel. I just had it rear facing so when you opened the lid the seat remained folded and when sat on it there was no chance of the lid opening in a swell.
It was actually very stable even when leaning back.
The only negative was it was slightly heavy when full of gear and a bit awkward to carry but I used it for years on my fishing boat and even took it on fishing charters
Have you got an ally floor?
That’s very good to know, I don’t mind about the weight to be honest as it will live on the boat and the heavier the better for stability I suppose. May try find a used one to purchase although people seem to charge near new price for very well used ones haha I’ve been looking for this answer for a while so thanks for this mate.
Old 30 November 2023, 07:39   #14

I have an ally floor rib