Old 09 January 2022, 10:37   #21

Town: Chichester
Make: Elling KB350
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 6/9.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
An inflatable SUP is a minimum 4.5 inches to (the vast majority) 6 inches. There is a big difference in stiffness at the same 15 psi between both. A SIB air floor is much thinner than 4.5 inches and consequently much more flexible.
I understand this, but why not just a thicker, stiffer airfloor? There doesn't seem to be any/much additional weight with the thicker sups - I think mine is 11kg and probably roughly the same in area to my airfloor of similar weight.
Old 09 January 2022, 14:55   #22
Spammer

Making the floors thicker, would help with buoyancy, ease of planing and make the boat much stiffer. It's simple but they won't do it.

Instead they have engineers strapping heavy plastic panels ontop of the floor. Here's an example on the newest 12 ft Saturn models.

What are the engineers thinking....
Old 09 January 2022, 16:56   #23

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
It’s down to buying a boat with a spec that’s suits your needs, most small inflatables are intended as tenders just that we use them for more tasks than a tender was designed for. For me air floors are great for quick set up that’s where it ends for me. OMO
Old 09 January 2022, 17:30   #24

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by 909 View Post
Making the floors thicker, would help with buoyancy, ease of planing and make the boat much stiffer. It's simple but they won't do it.

Instead they have engineers strapping heavy plastic panels ontop of the floor. Here's an example on the newest 12 ft Saturn models.

What are the engineers thinking....
Why would a thicker airdeck make planing easier?
The stiffness/higher pressure "may" make it easier to plane, but I doubt it. Even with a higher pressure airdeck you still only have a slightly taut thin skin pvc hull.

I think you may have misunderstood the reason for the "heavy plastic panels". They are actually light weight boards that fit BELOW the airdeck, in between the airdeck and the inflatable keel. They are fitted in an attempt to stop large air bubbles building up under the keel/hull and escaping at the bow causing cavitation /prop slip.
Old 10 January 2022, 02:24   #25
Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Why would a thicker airdeck make planing easier?
The stiffness/higher pressure "may" make it easier to plane, but I doubt it. Even with a higher pressure airdeck you still only have a slightly taut thin skin pvc hull.
You're suggesting a softer airdeck won't affect planing or performance. Do me a favor and deflate your airdeck next time you're out and let me know how that works out for you. Do you even own any boats with air floors ?

Quote:
I think you may have misunderstood the reason for the "heavy plastic panels". They are actually light weight boards that fit BELOW the airdeck, in between the airdeck and the inflatable keel. They are fitted in an attempt to stop large air bubbles building up under the keel/hull and escaping at the bow causing cavitation /prop slip.
We picked up our Saturn 12 Ft airdeck 2 days ago. Brand new with heat welded seams. How many Saturns do you own in this configuration ?
Old 10 January 2022, 07:38   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909 View Post
You're suggesting a softer airdeck won't affect planing or performance. Do me a favor and deflate your airdeck next time you're out and let me know how that works out for you. Do you even own any boats with air floors ?

We picked up our Saturn 12 Ft airdeck 2 days ago. Brand new with heat welded seams. How many Saturns do you own in this configuration ?

Read your own post #23 - you stated "thicker". Thickness has nothing to do with pressure. If you meant "higher pressure" that's what you should have said.

If you think the "keel boards" should be fitted on top of the air deck, then you crack on. You never know it may catch on as a new trend
However, if you take a look at your new Saturns airdeck, you may notice that if the keel board is on top that the decks inflation valve is underneath. Makes things a little bit difficult/impossible to inflate.

Don't know why you had to respond in such an obnoxious, aggressive tone, I was under the impression that the forum was here to help.
Old 11 January 2022, 20:59   #27

I would generally think an air floor would be plenty hard enough. I'm 18 stone and the floor on mine is hard enough to tollerate my abuse.

For protection, an aftermarket car boot liner is ideal. They tend to have a lip all round, textured surface and roll up for storage or rather handily, lie flat in the boot of the car.

Old ones for Range Rover Classics crop up on eBay and are rectangular with no cut outs.
Old 12 January 2022, 10:22   #28

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Ha ha ,we know small ribber is not hiding here anymore ,i think he has a shed full of airfloors from Alibaba,as they kept sending him the wrong size when he was experimenting with similar idea ,i think he probhably does have useful knowledge on the subject ,but hey ho never mind .
Old 12 January 2022, 10:30   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TmMorris View Post
I would generally think an air floor would be plenty hard enough. I'm 18 stone and the floor on mine is hard enough to tollerate my abuse.

For protection, an aftermarket car boot liner is ideal. They tend to have a lip all round, textured surface and roll up for storage or rather handily, lie flat in the boot of the car.

Old ones for Range Rover Classics crop up on eBay and are rectangular with no cut outs.
They're fine, Tim, but they're definitely still air floors (at least, the few I have tried), and noticeably different to a solid floor. Since a solid floor feel is definitely achievable with an inflatable, and might also bring other benefits like stiffness etc, I do wonder why we haven't seen it yet - perhaps we will. Good tip on the boot liner - will see what I can find on ebay.
Old 12 January 2022, 10:31   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
Ha ha ,we know small ribber is not hiding here anymore ,i think he has a shed full of airfloors from Alibaba,as they kept sending him the wrong size when he was experimenting with similar idea ,i think he probhably does have useful knowledge on the subject ,but hey ho never mind .
I remember someone ordering something - would be interesting to know what the outcome was. It would be interesting to try and make a custom one using the paddle board stock material. Probably not that expensive but getting it in retail quantities doesn't seem to be easily possible.
Old 12 January 2022, 10:39   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattster View Post
I remember someone ordering something - would be interesting to know what the outcome was. It would be interesting to try and make a custom one using the paddle board stock material. Probably not that expensive but getting it in retail quantities doesn't seem to be easily possible.
https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/drop-stitched-air-floor-for-ali-floor-sib-86865.html
Old 12 January 2022, 10:55   #32

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
What a great catch that was by Fenlander.
Bigplumbs/Smallribber/JamesLong is very active on YBW if you wanted to PM him about the air floor. Someone called him the most argumentative person they know and the post got several thumbs up . Shame he can't rein himself in sometimes.
Old 12 January 2022, 11:19   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
What a great catch that was by Fenlander.
Bigplumbs/Smallribber/JamesLong is very active on YBW if you wanted to PM him about the air floor. Someone called him the most argumentative person they know and the post got several thumbs up . Shame he can't rein himself in sometimes.
Couldn't agree more. Obviously intelligent and knowledgeable, but completely lacking any social skills and appeared to enjoy antagonising everyone.
Old 12 January 2022, 11:32   #34

I made a set of boards for a Redcrest using 8mm phenol plyboard. Surprisingly firm. I would think that on top on an air floor it would create a very firm surface and if the edges that slot in under the tubes were to be chamfered and covered with a strip of PVC/hyperlon then the risk of wear would be minimal.

The issue with boards really being stowage when in transport. A two section system that just covered the main standing area would probably sit on the floor of most car boots.
Old 21 January 2022, 21:20   #35

Town: Deeside
Make: Zodiac
Engine: 20hp tohatsu
Further to this, I’ve been looking at the nidaplast products. I’m thinking a sheet of 10mm nidaplast with a strip of pvc glued around the edge underneath and then a strip of neoprene (100mm wide 5mm thick) glued around the edges on the top where it ticks under the tubes. I’d finish that off with a layer of fibreglass and maybe some strips of ali for mounting points.
Old 21 January 2022, 21:53   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deggsy View Post
Further to this, I’ve been looking at the nidaplast products. I’m thinking a sheet of 10mm nidaplast with a strip of pvc glued around the edge underneath and then a strip of neoprene (100mm wide 5mm thick) glued around the edges on the top where it ticks under the tubes. I’d finish that off with a layer of fibreglass and maybe some strips of ali for mounting points.
Hi Deggsy, I've got to ask why? Don't you think it may be a good idea to a actually use your new SIB first before you think about any modifications?
I'm not saying don't, or you won't do any modifications, but you are basing your modifications upon other peoples experience.
I'd agree with protect your airdeck, eva interlocking mats, rubber mat, whatever. But my advice would be to use your SIB, gain experience and do any modifications based upon your needs.

Quote:
Ok, thanks for everyone’s input. To be honest I haven’t even set it up yet, let alone use it. I just heard the air deck floor is a bit soft to stand on fishing all day, and I’d like a bit of protection on it in case of dropping or spilling things.
Old 21 January 2022, 22:06   #37

Town: Deeside
Make: Zodiac
Engine: 20hp tohatsu
I totally agree, I won’t be doing anything until I’ve used it for a while. I’m just looking at different options in case I decide I want to make it a bit more solid.
Old 22 January 2022, 05:23   #38

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Quote:
Ok, thanks for everyone’s input. To be honest I haven’t even set it up yet, let alone use it. I just heard the air deck floor is a bit soft to stand on fishing all day, and I’d like a bit of protection on it in case of dropping or spilling things.

Just pump up the air deck in your lounge first to get a feel yourself of how firm it is.
Old 22 January 2022, 09:16   #39

Town: Leicester
Make: Yam
If the air deck is no good for you, I am sure you will find someone with an Ali floor that wants to swap, due to the Ali floor being too heavy for them. That would be easier than trying to make something.
Old 22 January 2022, 10:31   #40

Quote:
Hi Deggsy, I've got to ask why? Don't you think it may be a good idea to a actually use your new SIB first before you think about any modifications?
I'm not saying don't, or you won't do any modifications, but you are basing your modifications upon other peoples experience.
I'd agree with protect your airdeck, eva interlocking mats, rubber mat, whatever. But my advice would be to use your SIB, gain experience and do any modifications based upon your needs.
Agreed. I'm on my second airdeck now and they are definitely "fit for purpose", just a little less solid under foot than a solid floor. I choose air floor for weight reasons, as do many others, and it is still the right choice for me.

The technology certainly exists to make them firmer (rock solid), albeit at a cost in extra thickness so it would be cool if a manufacturer did that one day.

One thing that could be nice, and is probably within the realms of DIY, would be to try and imitate the grippy closed cell foam covering that you typically find on paddle boards. I imagine simply gluing a near full covering of textured closed cell foam to the top of the floor (although this would take a lot of glue!). Would give some (but not that much, I guess) protection, and a nicer, grippier floor under foot. There's a reason paddleboards don't leave the bare PVC on top.