Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>> sometimes this sort of stuff can be driven by OCD. A friend of mine suffered very badly in this regard

To try and align taking a care and pride in your possessions with a serious mental health condition is a new low even for you.
I missed that. That's the danger of rushing and skim reading.
Old 12 October 2023, 14:01   #82

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Engine: 2 stroke 25hp
MMSI: 235933026
I wash my dishes , pots and pans before i eat the food I have cooked. I don't wash my boat down after every use, think its because I'm too rock and roll for all that malarkey
Old 26 October 2023, 10:40   #83

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Just a bit of random autumn chat so might as well go here...

Decided to get straight back into a 15hp so I had it ready for next season. Found a minter Yamaha that's never seen salt water at way over the top money. Can hardly tell it apart from the one I had a couple of years ago. Pumps water like a fire hose (as did the previous one) and compressions good at an even 120psi (I know the tester is at zero... pic just for interest and my gauge doesn't hold the reading any more). Spark plugs are nice and shiny too.

I bought a second outboard stand for this motor. A generic Ebay one which is just a small update on the similar one I've had for about 10yrs. The wheels are solids now which suits me as it was a devil to get a pump nozzle onto the valves of the old one and I only ever trolley the outboards on smooth concrete/slabs. It's a few inches taller which is a pain... literally. For me the hardest lift of a 15hp is that few inches from the skeg resting on the ground to high enough to get on the stand. This new stand being higher adds to that discomfort so I'm going to mod it as short as possible so the skeg only just clears the ground.

There is no need to write up anything re this Yamaha and maintenance needs as it's all been covered in this excellent servicing guide (ha ha)...

https://www.rib.net/forum/f36/yamaha...ice-81611.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Two outboards.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	144082   Click image for larger version

Name:	OB stands.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	296.4 KB
ID:	144083   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pee stream.jpg
Size:	303.5 KB
ID:	144084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Compression test.jpg
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	144085  
Old 26 October 2023, 10:47   #84

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
That's great news Fenlander, you know it was the right thing to do and will satisfy both Head and Heart.
Old 26 October 2023, 10:53   #85

Bought my favoured tach for the Yamaha (one with white button) and annoyingly it was faulty showing random characters and not logging time run... on its way back to Ebay returns. Tried the one from the Johnson (showing 0.9hrs... all that motor managed) but that had suffered water ingress and despite drying out will do no more that show that 0.9hrs. Finally took the one from the Tohatsu and that works fine. I only really use them for prop testing as with low leisure use I service on time rather than hours.

The 15hp would normally have a 25l tank but I find these really heavy to lift across the tube and to its place under the seat so I've bought a second 12l Tohatsu one and changed the Yamaha's fuel line to the Tohatsu tank connector. I'll only need to take the second tank on longer runs.

I like a fuel gauge and bought a gauge in cap from SSI but sadly that's going back as it's wildly inaccurate. I know their readings are only approx and flick about with motion but this one shows empty with 25% fuel left and that could induce panic. Also the bleed screw only lets in a fraction of the airflow compared to the Tohatsu cap and that worried me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Faulty tach.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	144086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Faulty tach2.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	144087   Click image for larger version

Name:	OK tach.jpg
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	144088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Filler gauge.jpg
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	144089   Click image for larger version

Name:	2x 12l tanks.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	298.7 KB
ID:	144090  

Old 26 October 2023, 11:03   #86

The Yamaha came with an immaculate 11" prop, cupped too. That's an odd choice unless you have a light load and very skimmy hull. Having tested several props on my previous Yamaha 15 2T I knew the 9.75 pitch was ideal for our use. Annoyingly I could only find OE stock with one supplier who wanted £122 and despite that being my preference this time I bought the same spec/pitch in a Polastorm for half the cost. Casting and paint finish fine but not quite as smoothly designed for exhaust gas flow.

It's interesting to see the different blade shapes of the two prop types... the original one being a Yamaha J1 type and the replacement the J type. I always prefer a prop with the more swept blades of the standard J type... on all portable outboard makes/models.

Fingers crossed one long river trip with the Yamaha in the next few weeks then I'll get the Aspen through it, fog and forget until next season.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	11%22 cupped.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	144091   Click image for larger version

Name:	11%22 vs 9.75%22.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	144092  
Old 26 October 2023, 11:08   #87

>>you know it was the right thing to do and will satisfy both Head and Heart.

Yep Nasher the Tohatsu 9.8 2T is an amazing motor and I'll hang onto it but that brief reminder with the ill fated Johnson of how a 15hp 2T suits our use of the Aerotec stayed with us and we said might as well give a Mercury/Mariner or Yamaha 15 another go even if we only manage the weight for a couple more years.... and you beat us to that nice Mercury!
Old 26 October 2023, 15:06   #88

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
Does your new Yam have a charge circuit I find that quite useful on mine to charge the little battery I use for the Garmin
Old 26 October 2023, 16:51   #89

Yes the Yamaha 15 2t always seem to have this socket unlike other makes where it is a rarely seen extra. You will know this and like others may have already sorted something but the output is not properly regulated and only intended for lighting unless further electronics are added. For simplicity all our devices have their own batteries now so we don’t use a 12v aux battery any more.
Old 26 October 2023, 17:12   #90

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Nice one Mr F, that looks ace. You certainly have a knack for finding these ‘minter’ motors. Gutted I missed your last Yam 15 when moved on, shame it doesn’t seem to get used much, what a waste!
If ever you decide to move this one on, put me down for first dibs, there’s a good chap.

Enjoy your new motor. [emoji106]
Old 26 October 2023, 18:11   #91

Good to hear you've managed to find a 15hp Yam David, and by the sounds of it, it hasn't done much and is well maintained.

If chipko passes on his 1st dibs put me down as 2nd dibs

I'd be interested to know the "real life" weight if you ever get the chance to weigh it.
Old 26 October 2023, 18:18   #92

Yep I will weigh it. We know the 4-strokes stated weights are exceeded in real life (was it Chipko that weighed his?) but not sure re the 2-strokes. I've seen folks list these Yamahas anywhere from 34-38kg.
Old 26 October 2023, 19:48   #93

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Nice clean engine there Fen, how old is it?
Old 26 October 2023, 20:00   #94

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
Nice one Mr F, that looks ace. You certainly have a knack for finding these ‘minter’ motors. Gutted I missed your last Yam 15 when moved on, shame it doesn’t seem to get used much, what a waste!
If ever you decide to move this one on, put me down for first dibs, there’s a good chap.

Enjoy your new motor. [emoji106]

Its not wasted, I polish the hood quite often and it goes in the water bucket and fired up when I am able.
I have had a series of 4 visits from the big C in the past 3yrs (last operation 2 weeks ago) so I have found it difficult to do all the stuff I like.

IF I do have to pack it all in David will be first in line for it, he may quite like to have a pair
Old 26 October 2023, 20:09   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman2 View Post
Its not wasted, I polish the hood quite often and it goes in the water bucket and fired up when I am able.
I have had a series of 4 visits from the big C in the past 3yrs (last operation 2 weeks ago) so I have found it difficult to do all the stuff I like.

IF I do have to pack it all in David will be first in line for it, he may quite like to have a pair
Hope the opp went well and the "all clear" comes sooner rather than later.
Old 26 October 2023, 22:10   #96

>>Its not wasted, I polish the hood quite often and it goes in the water bucket and fired up when I am able.

Chipko could be voted as the least likely to offend on here so clearly just a casual throwaway comment on his part. However it does demonstrate folks here can have loads going on in their lives behind the banter and wind ups. Sorry to hear your troubles have been ongoing Mike. After Nasher beat me to Samt's Mercury (not hard feelings) I did actually consider getting in touch with you and Yabba (who bought my lovely Mercury 15 2t a few years earlier) to see if either might come to market but decided to do my own thing finding one as I like a challenge. Half the fun is chasing something down and the post purchase assessment/trials.

BTW Mike I've lost the link to the Yamaha 15 2t workshop manual pdf you had and I can't find it on the computer. If it goes up to 2007 models please let me have the link.
Old 26 October 2023, 22:40   #97

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>

BTW Mike I've lost the link to the Yamaha 15 2t workshop manual pdf you had and I can't find it on the computer. If it goes up to 2007 models please let me have the link.

I have sent you via email David
Old 27 October 2023, 07:16   #98

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman2 View Post

Oops! Very sorry to hear that. Hope your last opp a success and hopefully soon back out on the water.
Old 27 October 2023, 13:55   #99

Town: Somerset
Make: Takacat
Sorry to hear that your issues have been ongoing, after your posts some time back. Like you, and no doubt others here, I’ve had a few scares in last 12 months, some sorted, some ongoing.
Keep on fighting, and Best wishes.
Old 27 October 2023, 17:30   #100

Town: Colchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Good to hear you've managed to find a 15hp Yam David, and by the sounds of it, it hasn't done much and is well maintained.

If chipko passes on his 1st dibs put me down as 2nd dibs

I'd be interested to know the "real life" weight if you ever get the chance to weigh it.
Mine is 36kg and is ok to lift. 10 kg more than my Tohatsu 9.8 s