Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 23 June 2013, 08:28   #41

Town: Texas
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
If you were to drop the arrogant attitude, people would be willing to give you guidance rather than comment on how idiotic your previous posts have been.

There are a lot of highly experienced boaters on this forum who have travelled much further distances in small SIBs than what you are proposing. The difference is that they have the experience and proper gear to do so, you clearly have neither.

Without having the slightest clue about the experience and qualifications of the people you are addressing, you call them "old and scared" because they are rightly telling you that using a department store grade pool toy to travel in open ocean conditions is looking for disaster. You were too dim to clue in to the my tonue-in-cheek reference of the lack tow rings on the boat to it's users being rescued by pedal boats (ie. if the boat did have tow rings it would get torn apart if pulled by anything more powerful than a pedal boat).

While I have nowhere near the experience that some the people on this forum have, I have done several dozen trips ranging from 80 to +200 miles (15+ miles from the nearest shore) in SIBs ranging from 11' to 16' long. I have used these SIBs in conditions including as snow storms, gale force winds & class 3 rapids.

When I read the postings from the highly experience SIB users on this board, I pay close attention to what they have posted and ask for clarification if I don't understand the post . If I disagree with something they posted, I will ask them to explain their rationale (while offering up my own) without questioning their experience, age or courage, .
It must be my personality just giving the people on here a hard time, it's hard to know someone from typing on an internet forum. I respect the guidance from people like Nos and the others that have given useful information.

I'm going to go ahead and walk away from this thread learning a couple of things...

-12ft boat would be better

-Inflatable floor are ok

-15 hp at least..

Thanks for the help.

By the way... you have so much experience sailing the 7 seas yet you have no offer of advice but to tell me I am arrogant, questioning people of their experience etc etc...If it makes you feel better to put me down than more power to you, I apologized in the previous post if you would have read it.
Old 23 June 2013, 08:44   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
For your intended purposes, neither are anywhere close to being suitable.

From the linked website:

"NOTE: The Wave by Zodiac was designed for the RV and fishing market. It does not have tow rings installed. It was not designed to be towed."

The "RV market" means that it is meant for highly crowded, small lakes (ponds) that would be typical of RV parks. The idea being that if you got in trouble there would probably some other craft (such as a pedal boat or a sit on top kayak) within 100 yards that could zip over and pick you up (just not tow you, since it has no tow rings!).

If Zodiac intended for these boats to be used 5-10 miles offshore on open ocean, they would have named the boat the Wave Goodbye. May as well save the money, and go straight to what would otherwise be the subsequent purchase, seal the seams and strap an outboard on a coffin.
Prairie actually reading your first post is what made me question the integrity of this website for information, instead of giving me MORE helpful information you basically made fun of my boat selections as the "wave goodbye". You my friend are the issue with forums, you try to look funny in front of your forum friends and treat the sib nooby like hes an idiot instead of giving me some advice. I dont like people like you.
Old 23 June 2013, 08:48   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankc View Post
You started this thread with:

"Price Range $1300 max
Length 10-11 ft
Use: Light offshore fishing 5-10 miles out
9.8 Tohatsu 4 stroke
MAX load: 2 fisherman, light gear, 40-50 lb icechest"

You say you have sea experience and that a person is safe with an unsinkable boat. That is good, as the Coast Guard generally finds a boat after a mishap. It is not so unusual to find someone drowned in a life jacket after a bout with rough seas also.

The majority of posts by experienced boaters was designed to raise the caution flag which you do not appreciate.

My question to you is why did you ask for advice when you have all the answers?
Frank thanks for your advice on this post and the previous
Old 23 June 2013, 13:29   #44

Town: Pooler, Georgia
Boat name: not applicable
Make: Avon
Engine: Outboard
Look, I started paddling at the age of 9, was turned loose to run my own power boat in the local river at 13, began running offshore in '75, purchased my first inflatable in '80, and got into SOT kayak fishing years ago. You will have quite a nice life if you do as many water miles as I have in your lifetime. I still find much useful information from the users on this site however at over 70 years old.

The bulk of the replies to this thread have served just to say be cautious of traveling too far offshore in a small craft. We all went through the period when young that we could whip a tiger with one hand tied behind our backs and we knew more than anyone else. We then went through the time when we understood that we may not have been the mental giants we thought we were and that brute force would not always save your skin.

This silly name calling of telling your superiors that they are afraid of running boats in rough seas is quite a laugh, as you have no where near the experience these men have. You don't want to get in the scrapes many of us have been through which we were lucky to make it through. Others quite frankly died in the attempt.

Now if you want dependable advice, there are those here who can help you. If you cannot take constructive criticism, then you are in for a tough life.

Hopefully through the replies to this thread you have learned that an inflatable no matter how sea worthy is out of its class in really bad conditions. Those conditions can occur rapidly and must be avoided. You must learn just how far offshore you can travel while still keeping in mind how long it would take to run for cover depending on where you boat. The fact that a boat should not sink does not mean you can stay in it or that it cannot capsize in rough water.

Go ahead with your plans and learn for yourself. Just keep in mind to be careful and expand your travel envelope carefully. There is a thin line between an enjoyable day on the water and disaster.
Old 23 June 2013, 14:09   #45

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Look ...
Nice post
Old 23 June 2013, 15:53   #46

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Nicely put frankc.
Old 23 June 2013, 18:01   #47

Town: Exeter
Make: Highfield
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF90
Egg on toast
Old 23 June 2013, 22:58   #48

Town: Southampton
Make: avon adventure 4.5
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp e-tec
A good used commando c3 or c4 would give you better capability than most small SIBS. An aerotec 380 is pretty much the best air deck SIB I know of. They all pack down so no trailer. I would be searching the used market for a tidy example rather than buying anything new.

I think being off shore that far in so small a boat would be terrifying. I've had a fair amount of inshore experience and RNLI deep sea survival training and wouldn't want to take the risk myself, but to each their own. Make sure you have the right kit and people know your plans so will call help if you don't make contact.
Old 23 June 2013, 23:44   #49
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
sorry if I have an inferior post count or a superior one ??
I travelled 14 miles in my T38 airdeck with a 20hp Yam, from Skye to Rhum - open channel, in a flat calm oily sea. I loved the adventure, but wouldnt have attempted it with a sea running. I wore a lifejacket, which no one in the clips posted on the thread chooses to wear, and carried a handheld VHF, and an additional tank of fuel. The boat inspired confidence, with big tubes that made you feel you were in it rather than on it.
I have had the same boat a mile from shore in rapidly rising waves and wind, that felt like it was folding the boat in half with every wave hit. Not so nice.
Advice on this forum is free, and well intentioned, but by no means compulsory. So...if you want to get an opinion from someone that you may respect a little more than the Ribnet folks, I suggest you go discuss your planned purchase and use with the US Coastguard, this looks a great place to start ....
http://www.uscgboating.org
Old 24 June 2013, 17:45   #50

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Some general comments :

A 365 mt sib is much better than a 10-11 footer specially if wanting to count with just a 9.8 HP. Will slide better at fast displacement or planing speed if possible to achieve, with less hull drag than any smaller size sib.

If wanting portability, ease of assembly an air deck is the way to go, the only issue is that you'll need to top air deck to it's max psi for a better ride. Assembling wooden or alum panel sibs takes it's time, with time and expertise, will assembly much faster. Wooden or alum sibs performs much better than " standard" flat air decks, rigidity issues.

No issues whatsoever if going spearfishing if knowing what you're doing, just protect spear tip with appropiate cap, cork, whatever, and never load a spear gun inside boat, or never board again with a loaded spear gun after been spearfishing. If going for an air deck, place a thick carpet that doesn't hold water or rubber roll, both trimmed to match air deck size to protect it mainly from hooks, sharp objects, etc,

Living in USA, check this nice alternative if wanting to go instead of an air deck : Mercury Solid Panel Floor 11' 2" Inflatable Boat

People like to satanize Hypalon vs PVC, if you are not living near tropics, equator, Caribbean with an inflatable living moored or at a beach exposed all all year long to extreme UV radiation, you don't need hypalon, good ones are costly and in some infllatables brands much tinner fabrics than standard now a days 0.9 mm pvc fabrics, just to have an appealing price.

With respect feeling unconfortable with all the safe & beating along recommendations giving here, must share this side of the world point of view, have near same exact boating conditions as you, that's calm flat or slight choppy seas with less hazard wind conditions. Definitely can't compare UK waters with US or South American ones, different marine animals. Just don't go boating alone, check weather conditions prior outing and take along all related security gadgets.

If going for a 365 size a 9.8 will be too basic, try to get at least a 2 or 4 strokes minimum 15 HP to get there faster & carrying more load than with a 9.8.

Happy Boating
Old 24 June 2013, 20:24   #51

Town: Lago Vista Texas
Make: West Marine
Engine: 15hp Mercury
Greetings. I found this thread cross-posted on one of my favorite fishing sites and I felt I had to comment.

I live and fish in the same area as the OP. Thousands of people fish in the manner described, it's called "BTB" or "Beyond The Breakers". The majority use kayaks, the older busted up folks like me use inflatables or jet-skis. I've been doing this for almost 25 years now. Cannot kayak anymore so I use a 13' inflatable with a 15hp Mercury. A jet ski is a little out of budget. Sold the big boat years ago once the kids moved out, too expensive and a hassle.

The risk is minimal. The fishing is VERY good. A typical trip, going from rig to rig, is about 20-25 miles. Communications are not an issue, there are both cell phone and VHF repeaters on the rigs. Any rig inside of 10 miles is visible from the beach and 2' to 3' swells is about as bad as it gets.

To be honest, your biggest threat is heat stroke and sunburn.
Old 24 June 2013, 21:52   #52

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
Breakers 10 miles offshore?
Old 25 June 2013, 01:56   #53

Town: Pooler, Georgia
Boat name: not applicable
Make: Avon
Engine: Outboard
I am a fellow kayak fisherman, and the post causes a bit of curiosity. A 20 -25 mile paddle would be quite a day. How far from shore are those rigs you fish? Do kayakers venture 10 miles off the beach?

I have read of those beyond the breakers trips on TKF and not heard of extended trips that far.

If it is unusual to run into afternoon thunder showers, you live in a very calm area. A good sea breeze can effect paddling effort though, and maintaining 3 MPH for an extended period of time would be brutal in flat water. That would eat up roughly 3 hours in each direction.

As long as you can count on calm seas long enough to make it to shore with a weather change, you could go quite a distance in an inflatable. The downside is that you only have to miscalculate once. Thus the caution flags the folks have raised.
Old 25 June 2013, 15:08   #54

Town: Lago Vista Texas
Make: West Marine
Engine: 15hp Mercury
Quote:
I am a fellow kayak fisherman, and the post causes a bit of curiosity. A 20 -25 mile paddle would be quite a day. How far from shore are those rigs you fish? Do kayakers venture 10 miles off the beach?

I have read of those beyond the breakers trips on TKF and not heard of extended trips that far.

If it is unusual to run into afternoon thunder showers, you live in a very calm area. A good sea breeze can effect paddling effort though, and maintaining 3 MPH for an extended period of time would be brutal in flat water. That would eat up roughly 3 hours in each direction.

As long as you can count on calm seas long enough to make it to shore with a weather change, you could go quite a distance in an inflatable. The downside is that you only have to miscalculate once. Thus the caution flags the folks have raised.
20-25 in an inflatable. Kayak trips are usually in the 7-10 mile range.