Old 11 July 2021, 06:28   #1

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
More fettling in Elling dry dock

I seem to always find more stuff to do with the boat or its ancillaries.
I noted recently on facebook the use of battery garden blowers to very quickly inflate your tubes to a point where the hi pressure pump could finish off the job greatly reducing the time taken even with the reputable Bravo which is 430 ltr/min.
I looked on ebay at the China copies of Makita blowers, unless you already have 18v Makita batteries with your power tool collection, then buying one of the copies at £22 plus a battery at £20 looked an expensive test to me, but others seem to rate the speed of inflation.
Then An Argos pump was mentioned on a thread here.
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9381713
Its pretty cheap at £10 and 12volt so will run on the Bravo battery, its 680ltr/min so should inflate pretty quick, a big step up from the Bravo 430ltr/min. But I noted that the run time is just 5mins after which it needs a cool down time.

I then looked around to see what else was available to do the large volume low pressure part of inflating the tubes and found this bargain at Amazon (well it is if you have prime delivery)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FB8Y2GQ/
£7.32 delivered and its 650ltr/min with 20min run time, 78watts at 12volts.

I bought one to try and chopped off the cigar plug, wiring it to a Bravo plug so I can plug it direct to the Bravo 12v 7Ah alarm battery. It seems very powerful so im hoping it will reduce the inflate time & maybe help with deflation too.

I then moved on to my outboard hood and ways to protect it from scratches in transit, I found an old foam exercise mat and cut it to shape, some very sticky gaffa tape on the seams and its done.