Old 10 October 2023, 16:55   #21

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
I'm assuming your 15 Yam is a 2 stroke, as that trolley wouldn't be any good for a 4 stroke which has to be transported on one side.

Well Steve you are right I don't have a 4 stroke outboard but tell me what position a 4 stroke is in when fully tilted on the transom, I don't think there is a warning in the manuals to lean the engine one way when tilted or not to fully tilt them?

So I'm playing devils advocate here but what would be the difference between a fully tilted 4 stroke and one on a frame in the back of your car?
Old 10 October 2023, 17:01   #22

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman2 View Post
Well Steve you are right I don't have a 4 stroke outboard but tell me what position a 4 stroke is in when fully tilted on the transom, I don't think there is a warning in the manuals to lean the engine one way when tilted or not to fully tilt them?

So I'm playing devils advocate here but what would be the difference between a fully tilted 4 stroke and one on a frame in the back of your car?

Even in full tilt, the power head is higher than the leg. If you laid it flat in the car & drove down hill, you could feasibly get a cylinder full of engine oil.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2023, 17:28   #23

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Even in full tilt, the power head is higher than the leg. If you laid it flat in the car & drove down hill, you could feasibly get a cylinder full of engine oil.

Yes Dave but I was suggesting it would be on a frame like mine where the power head is higher not laying flat.
Old 10 October 2023, 17:50   #24

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
I made one like that too - only thing I'd say is (learning from the mistake I made) give it a wider track as my wheels were too close together and it's still a toppy left to right thing on a pebbly beach...
Old 10 October 2023, 18:01   #25

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Yes Dave but I was suggesting it would be on a frame like mine where the power head is higher not laying flat.
For my needs it would take up far too much room in the back of the truck. Not saying it wouldn't work that way, just not very practical.
Old 10 October 2023, 18:07   #26

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:

Ahh! I see where you’re coming from [emoji106] Dunno what the critical angle would be before it becomes an issue. Maybe an ideal solution would be one where you could turn the engine on the frame through 90deg into it’s recommended travelling position.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2023, 19:40   #27

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: zodiac FR
Engine: 2 stroke 15hp
MMSI: 999
I use a crawler type trolley for my 25 hp 2 stroke.

Video of 25 hp outboard loading into campervan
Old 10 October 2023, 19:47   #28

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Some years ago gurnard had a thread transporting his 25 mariner from car to boat showing it doesn’t need to be back breaking a simple customised sack barrow.
Old 10 October 2023, 19:50   #29

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
The only way to get our setup in the car is to have the outboard sitting as at almost full tilt. Loading from the rear passenger doors.Have a couple of kneeling matts under the clamps to protect the car.

Then load the sib in the boot slightly diagonal, leaving a small space for the poor dog.
Unfortunately the car isn't long enough or wide enough to have sib and ob side by side using a board like Steve's.

Suzuki 20 efi and the 390 volaire

A total lastard to he honest but really don't want to downsize yet. But will be forced to soon enough I guess.

Pretty screwed if we have an accident!

And you wouldn't want to see the suspension, especially when camping as well!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230401_130403.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	143975   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230401_130348.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	143976   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230401_130336.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	143977  
Old 10 October 2023, 20:38   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Ahh! I see where you’re coming from [emoji106] Dunno what the critical angle would be before it becomes an issue. Maybe an ideal solution would be one where you could turn the engine on the frame through 90deg into it’s recommended travelling position.
Tried something similar, but failed to be able to make it stable enough just made out of wood.
But you can PD, if the outboard mount brackets are used to hold it on to the frame and you wheels etc aren’t in the way, you simply just tilt the outboard to the travel side. Only thing I found was the tiller got in the way in the car with the Suzuki. Will only go so far of course.
Old 10 October 2023, 22:04   #31

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Honda BF15
Whats the issue with transporting them on their side? Most outboards are designed with that in mind for one side or the other. That's the way I move them around and I've never had any issue with leaking oil or backfilling into the cylinder/manifolds. Some allow the tiller to be folded downwards too, so it becomes a lot more compact.
Old 10 October 2023, 22:28   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by User name View Post
Whats the issue with transporting them on their side? Most outboards are designed with that in mind for one side or the other. That's the way I move them around and I've never had any issue with leaking oil or backfilling into the cylinder/manifolds. Some allow the tiller to be folded downwards too, so it becomes a lot more compact.
I think it’s just down to space for a lot of us, particularly with the 4 strokes like the Suzuki 20. There isn’t enough room in the car to have the sib and the outboard side by side if the OB is lying down.
Van, trailer or probably a truck would be a different matter and would definitely have it lying down (on the correct side of course), or even better on a sturdy wheeled trolley standing up and strapped in place for wheeling to the sib at times to save the transom wheels a bit.

It does fit if we put it the car as it would be on the transom but we’ve just to remember to keep the power head higher.

I say on the correct side because when the better half grudgingly picked up my OB from its service, the service engineers laid it down in her car the wrong way, and as you can imagine I had a lot of cleaning and grovelling to do afterwards
Old 10 October 2023, 22:43   #33

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Honda BF15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinormeg View Post
I think it’s just down to space for a lot of us, particularly with the 4 strokes like the Suzuki 20. There isn’t enough room in the car to have the sib and the outboard side by side if the OB is lying down.
Van, trailer or probably a truck would be a different matter and would definitely have it lying down (on the correct side of course), or even better on a sturdy wheeled trolley standing up and strapped in place for wheeling to the sib at times to save the transom wheels a bit.
Ah right.
I like to fold the 60% portion of my rear seats and the SIB slides in there, towards the passenger seat. That leaves me loads of room to have the outboard in the boot where it's easy to lift out. I position it with the leg pointing to the passenger side and the fuel tank fits in there beside it too. I also get in life jackets, fishing gear, rods, wet weather gear and so on. If I'm using the smaller boat then I'll throw that on the roof rack and I won't need to fold the rear seat at all.
It's a bit like Jenga but once you get a system, it gets a lot easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinormeg View Post
I say on the correct side because when the better half grudgingly picked up my OB from its service, the service engineers laid it down in her car the wrong way, and as you can imagine I had a lot of cleaning and grovelling to do afterwards
Been there! You'd think the service guys would know better though. I got one of those cheap rubber boot mats from Aldi/Lidl to avoid the same mistake again.
Old 11 October 2023, 03:33   #34

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Give the outboard a handle. Wouldn't be hard to sew something up for under $15us. https://outboardlift.com/

Old 11 October 2023, 04:53   #35

Town: Colchester
Well that got people talking
Old 11 October 2023, 07:10   #36

With out 9.8 hp 2 stroke Tohatsu I bought a very sturdy Christmas tree bag which has handles both ends and at the sides. This is very useful when in the back of the car and also me and her indoors can very easily carry this quite a long way over rough tarain

I have one for the 15 hp 2 Stroke Yam but have not tried that yet as it is on the back of the T35 on the trailer
Old 11 October 2023, 16:06   #37

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: zodiac FR
Engine: 2 stroke 15hp
MMSI: 999
[YOUTUBE] https://youtu.be/B5VXtgbgeQ0?si=-DmM4Z_GR9_m9tVN [/YOUTUBE]
Old 12 October 2023, 07:28   #38

Town: Sofia, bulgaria
Boat name: Narnia II
Make: Honwave T38 IE3
Engine: BF20
No matter how well you wrap the 2s motor, it still stinks. Wife and kids were never happy. I was transporting my 2s 15hp Selva in the roofbox because of that. It weighted 30kg and every outing was a heavy lifting event. I managed to avoid dropping it on my head or the car roof, but it was a tense moment each time, occasionally gathering a small crowd longing for a show. With the 4s honda there's no strong smell and due to the 46kg and larger size I had to improve my car boot tetris skills. Only the gas canister travels in the roof box(empty) together with the life vests and other gear.
Old 12 October 2023, 11:16   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPun View Post
No matter how well you wrap the 2s motor, it still stinks. Wife and kids were never happy. I was transporting my 2s 15hp Selva in the roofbox because of that. It weighted 30kg and every outing was a heavy lifting event. I managed to avoid dropping it on my head or the car roof, but it was a tense moment each time, occasionally gathering a small crowd longing for a show. With the 4s honda there's no strong smell and due to the 46kg and larger size I had to improve my car boot tetris skills. Only the gas canister travels in the roof box(empty) together with the life vests and other gear.
I transport many 2 strokes a lot of the time in the back of the Landrover Disco 3 and 2. To be honest neither me or Her indoors have issues with the 'smell' thats if we can even smell it. I have travelled on journeys of over 5 hours and no issues.

But I suppose some peoples snoz is more sensitive than others
Old 12 October 2023, 13:52   #40

Town: Sofia, bulgaria
Boat name: Narnia II
Make: Honwave T38 IE3
Engine: BF20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easedalenovice View Post
I transport many 2 strokes a lot of the time in the back of the Landrover Disco 3 and 2. To be honest neither me or Her indoors have issues with the 'smell' thats if we can even smell it. I have travelled on journeys of over 5 hours and no issues.

But I suppose some peoples snoz is more sensitive than others
Don't have much experience with 2 strokes, apart from the 15hp Selva, but I hope it was my last one. Probably something to do with the particular outboard and/or gas in the carb. Even when carb was drained, while traveling on a hot day with motor wrapped with plastic bags in the boot, the gas smell was always lingering in the car. Smell was heavier on the back seats. Rainbow oil patch in the water and ringing noise also spoiled the experience. Will try to wrestle the 4 stroke till my back allows.

Tags
outboard