Old 26 June 2022, 15:21   #21

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
Looks like a very interesting part of the world to explore by boat.

Is anything happening with Holyhead Marina nowadays?
theres a planning application in, not my cup of tea to be honest but as we usually avoid the marina it won't bother us too much……

https://holyheadwaterfront.consultationonline.co.uk/
Old 26 June 2022, 15:23   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Thanks Chris, looks like you've sorted out all my boating days for me
hope you have a good trip Steve
Old 05 July 2022, 20:03   #23

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Are they killing the goose that lays the golden egg?

Promised Diane we would do some walking before going out on Redneck, so I took the opportunity to walk on the coastal path to Trearddur Bay and call into the slipway wardens cabin. Now call me tight, but I feel that after paying £35 to register with the council, then £20 to use a concrete slip and then another £20 to park the truck and trailer, I could feel like I'm being ripped off!
I happened to mention this to a local in the bar earlier this evening. He told me he knows of at least 25 boats that have not renewed at Trearddur because they now feel its too expensive.
It's empty here, hardly any boats out on the water, I wonder why?
Old 06 July 2022, 08:12   #24

we launch at Ty Calch near Caernarfon, its a private slip so its just the launch fee which included car parking and looking after your trailer, Chris is a great guy and has loads of useful local info
Old 06 July 2022, 09:59   #25

Hi Chris, we will definitely be trying around Caernarfon next time we holiday in North Wales. I assume you still need registration even though you are launching at Ty Calch?
Old 06 July 2022, 11:50   #26

hi Steve, yes there is a local registration scheme in place with Caernarfon Harbour Trust, £35 for the first year then £30 for the following year(s) and that covers you for launching anywhere locally on The Menai or around Anglesey Ty Calch is a great slip to launch from, Chris can launch/recover any state of the tide and you have access to The Menai, the Anglesey coastline, The Lyn down to Bardsey and beyond, or to Puffin Island, Conwy and The North Wales coastline, so take your pick
Old 06 July 2022, 18:35   #27

Hi Chris, that sounds much more like it Caernarfon it will be next time.

Today wasn't a good sea day to go out on Redneck, to much wind, swell and chop. We went to Cemaes for a long walk along the coastal path and to check out launching at the "free" public slip at the east end of the beach. It's no longer free, in fact it's worse than having to pay £20 + ££8 for parking! Apparently it changed this year, you now have to pay £150 for a key to release the lock on the bollard that blocks the slip (£50 back upon returning the key)
The "warden" (17 year old kid) told me he hasn't seen a single boat launch there this year.
What is it with Anglesey? they obviously don't want tourists with boats.
Old 06 July 2022, 19:26   #28

some of the recent changes are reactions to a recent fatal accident near to Menai Bridge, previous to the accident there had been some calls for tighter regulations on launching, training etc, i guess the local county councils had no choice other than to react. to be fair i don’t think this is aimed just at holiday makers bringing their boats, the same rules apply to the locals as well, but maybe they are in a position to find alternative launch sites. there are a few camping/caravan sites with their own slipways which in theory these rules don't apply but i guess as time goes on the councils will encourage them to follow the same rules.
launching on The Menai does have the advantage of some shelter and the option to head to where its less windy, when its rough on The Menai you know its rough out in Caernarfon Bay or off Puffin Island!!

https://assets.publishing.service.go...t-incAnnex.pdf
Old 06 July 2022, 20:37   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post
some of the recent changes are reactions to a recent fatal accident near to Menai Bridge, previous to the accident there had been some calls for tighter regulations on launching, training etc, i guess the local county councils had no choice other than to react. to be fair i don’t think this is aimed just at holiday makers bringing their boats, the same rules apply to the locals as well, but maybe they are in a position to find alternative launch sites. there are a few camping/caravan sites with their own slipways which in theory these rules don't apply but i guess as time goes on the councils will encourage them to follow the same rules.
launching on The Menai does have the advantage of some shelter and the option to head to where its less windy, when its rough on The Menai you know its rough out in Caernarfon Bay or off Puffin Island!!

https://assets.publishing.service.go...t-incAnnex.pdf

Whilst I can appreciate the reaction to the accident, surely unilateral prohibition isn't the way to go, that is just punishment for the majority for the foolishness of the few, or the one!
I can understand registration, and if it is there to protect and enhance safety, then I would say take it further and make it more expensive. Compulsory insurance, compulsory PB2, compulsory VHF, a compulsory UK licence, charge £150- £250 per annum, but make it a UK wide requirement. The way Anglesey has gone is to prohibit everyone by closing off access to the sea by building sea walls around beach access, erecting bollards on slipways and having "Maritime Wardens" (17-18 year olds) everywhere.
Whether I am a local or on holiday, if I wanted to trailer launch at 4 or 5 different locations on Anglesey it would cost me in excess of £300.That has to be the death of "boating" holiday makers in Anglesey, and if I feel that way so will hundreds of others, who will just go elsewhere. That is such a shame, as the coast and countryside of Anglesey is beautiful and the locals are fantastic, but I very much doubt I will be back for a "boating" holiday, They (County and local councils) have made it to difficult, too expensive and, not a phrase I would normally use, too stressful.
Old 07 July 2022, 08:25   #30

the registration scheme covers the whole of Anglesey so you only need to register once, then you can use any of the public slips on the island, which to be honest has been in place for around 20 years now but since the accident they are enforcing it more. the registration would also cover you for launching at any of the Gwynedd public slips as well, and those covered by Caernarfon Harbour Trust, so to be fair you do have a large launch area included within the £35 fee. don't get me wring, i agree with a lot of what you are saying, personally i don't beed a registration scheme to make me slow down within the speed limit areas!! and whatever schemes are put in place there will always be the few who will find a somewhere to launch with no fees and flout any speed limits etc.
we have been launching at Ty Calch since 2008 and nothing much has changed, the cruising area is vast and the scenery is still as varied as ever, wildlife is still abundant so can't see us changing anytime soon
Old 07 July 2022, 08:30   #31

We will hopefully see you at Ty Calch some time
Old 07 July 2022, 08:38   #32

if you plan on launching at Ty Calch give Chris a call to book in, it gets busy during the holiday season so always worth a call 07917 859345
also if you are looking to camp there are local sites with good facilities, or plenty of b&b in Caernarfon