Old 31 January 2015, 14:31   #21

Town: Dorset
Length: no boat
Sorry to reopen an old thread but it seemed better than starting a new one on the same subject. I'm seriously looking at an SD330.

I notice that Philpot has a 15hp on his. Does anybody have a view on the minimum needed to get up on the plane, 1 or 2 up?

And lastly, if Philpot happens across this post....how is that Parsun working out? I've read a lot about the company that makes them, there seem to be a fair few positive reviews and as they are selling 70,000 a year i would have a lot more bad ones would have come up by now. The only thing that bothers me slightly is a lot of the UK dealers mentioned on the .co.uk website don't appear to stock them.

The difference in price is very tempting.

I should add that engines are a mystery to me, so buying an old second hand engine worries me!

James.
Old 31 January 2015, 17:45   #22

Town: South Yorkshire
Boat name: Sold it !
Length: 3m +
Engine: Totallyhotsue 9.8 2S
On our SD 330 we had a 9.8hp 2 stroke. Planed easily with me and 2 kids. With wifey and 2 kids with a little weight shifting and we could always plane unless into a strong headwind and against lots of chop.

I read a lot about Parsuns. Then I read some more. They seem to be marmite. You get a good one and you will be fine. You get a friday afternoon one and you will have problems. In the end I paid top whack for a 2nd hand from a dealer with a warranty and only just cheaper than a Parsun.

I learnt a lot about outboards from hours of reading in here. When I bought mine the dealer put in in a tank and showed me how to start and a few other tips. Even though my motor was used I got a new fuel tank and line in with the deal. A RibNet member kindlky invited me to his house and he showed me a few bits on what to do with an engine such as starting it if the pull cord snaps.
Youtube has lots of videos about outboards.

Final advice get a spare killcord. If you go over no one can come and get you unless they have a kill cord and your crew know how to start the thing!
Old 31 January 2015, 19:18   #23

Town: Dorset
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIBer View Post
On our SD 330 we had a 9.8hp 2 stroke. Planed easily with me and 2 kids. With wifey and 2 kids with a little weight shifting and we could always plane unless into a strong headwind and against lots of chop.

I read a lot about Parsuns. Then I read some more. They seem to be marmite. You get a good one and you will be fine. You get a friday afternoon one and you will have problems. In the end I paid top whack for a 2nd hand from a dealer with a warranty and only just cheaper than a Parsun.

I learnt a lot about outboards from hours of reading in here. When I bought mine the dealer put in in a tank and showed me how to start and a few other tips. Even though my motor was used I got a new fuel tank and line in with the deal. A RibNet member kindlky invited me to his house and he showed me a few bits on what to do with an engine such as starting it if the pull cord snaps.
Youtube has lots of videos about outboards.

Final advice get a spare killcord. If you go over no one can come and get you unless they have a kill cord and your crew know how to start the thing!
Many thanks, i will follow your advice :-)
Old 31 January 2015, 20:55   #24

Town: South Yorkshire
Boat name: Sold it !
Engine: Totallyhotsue 9.8 2S
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo747 View Post
Many thanks, i will follow your advice :-)
Any questions just ask.

Thats the brilliance of RIBnet.
Old 02 February 2015, 10:15   #25

Town: North Lincs
Boat name: na
Make: F-Rib 330/Excel 330
Engine: Parsun 15hp
I have had no issues whatsoever with my Parsun 15hp. Starts well and I find it very smooth when running at any speed. My friend also has a Parsun 6hp which again he has been very pleased with.
I was keen to get a Merc/Mariner but found second hand prices to be high and location in the south or at least a hell of a long way to go and view. My local marine engineer is happy to do any work / service so I don't need to go over to Highams which is 2.5hrs away and they are happy for this to be done whilst keeping within the warranty.

Phil