Old 29 July 2017, 12:06   #1

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Drilling lots of holes In my Transom

A friend of mine often uses the phrase make it at home for nothing. I have always liked this phrase and now that I am not working full time I like it even more, So now that I have the 9.8 Tohatsu on the SIB and we will go a little further on it I thought I would fit my old depth finder that was languishing in a cupboard to the transom, and also make a rod holder from a little left over piece of waste pipe. I will use the little 12 volt battery I have for the depth finder so all in all the whole job cost me nowt apart from bits and pieces I had around the place and of course some electricity to drill several holes in my transom which is sort of the only place you should drill holes on a blow up boat

You can also see the padded floor I added to the ali one to ease my knees and bottom

Now those are the sort of jobs I like

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9167 (Medium).jpg
Views:	252
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	121102   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9169 (Medium).jpg
Views:	266
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	121103   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9171 (Medium).jpg
Views:	264
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	121104  
Old 24 August 2017, 18:23   #2

Town: Sparwood
Make: Mercury & Aquamarine
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 20hp 4stroke
Your boat looks like mine. You might not want to put too many holes in the transom. I like the flooring you added. I had a different idea for my fish finder. It is now easily removable as a whole unit.

I just finished repairing mine. The transom plug piece and hole leaked water into the transom plywood all along the bottom which delaminated most of the plies up 6 inches from the bottom. The transom is good above 6 inches to the top. The fabric that is glued to the transom came off as well. Anyways you might want to check yours and if it is good to make sure the drain plug hole is sealed from water penetrating into the wood. I did a lot of work repairing the transom as well as regluing the fabric to it. I also reinforced the transom mounts at the top with big round fabric pieces, which should have been done at the factory because the tube fabric wants to pull away from the pvc transom mounts when deflating the boat. Now that isn't an issue. I replaced the drain plug assembly with a two piece that screws together like the Honda Honwave uses. Glued on new handles as well, now 6 instead of 4, all glued to the tube sides in places where they will be flat when the boat is rolled up.

Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170820_175753_2.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	121528   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170820_195254_2.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	290.8 KB
ID:	121529   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170820_195322_2.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	121530   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170824_120025_2.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	121531   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170824_120057_2.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	121532  

Old 24 August 2017, 21:20   #3

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
If you drill through the transom, it's good to use some sort of sealant to protect the exposed edges of the ply within those holes.
Old 25 August 2017, 06:19   #4

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadoo2 View Post
Your boat looks like mine. You might not want to put too many holes in the transom. I like the flooring you added. I had a different idea for my fish finder. It is now easily removable as a whole unit.

I just finished repairing mine. The transom plug piece and hole leaked water into the transom plywood all along the bottom which delaminated most of the plies up 6 inches from the bottom. The transom is good above 6 inches to the top. The fabric that is glued to the transom came off as well. Anyways you might want to check yours and if it is good to make sure the drain plug hole is sealed from water penetrating into the wood. I did a lot of work repairing the transom as well as regluing the fabric to it. I also reinforced the transom mounts at the top with big round fabric pieces, which should have been done at the factory because the tube fabric wants to pull away from the pvc transom mounts when deflating the boat. Now that isn't an issue. I replaced the drain plug assembly with a two piece that screws together like the Honda Honwave uses. Glued on new handles as well, now 6 instead of 4, all glued to the tube sides in places where they will be flat when the boat is rolled up.

Terry
Excellent work. Very well done especially the round bits glued on over the fixings at the tramsom to the tubes

Dennis