Old 08 October 2023, 06:21   #21

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
Excellent job Steve. I don’t get on well with that glue and to get a job that neat is excellent.

Interesting idea pulling the boat from the transom eyelets. Just a long bridal needed I assume. I think I will make one up
Old 08 October 2023, 11:55   #22

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Tidy work. Cheers for sharing and giving us food for thought.

We have been fully loading the Volaire before moving it on transom wheels over some considerable distance on poor surfaces a few times lately. Lifting and pulling with just one handle either side.
I’m really struggling to manage that as time goes on, and I seem to be getting weaker each time we are out

But my son is bulking out nicely and takes it in his stride. (Should have had 2 sons, although be cheaper paying for a mooring)

So we might have to watch for the handles too, as I did notice the last time hauling and lifting put a hell of strain on them!

We never really trusted the outboard trolley we got with the boat for the Suzuki 20 so we put the OB on the transom, with full tilt in case the wheels give way!
But will have to try get the trolley out from the back of the shed and see if a mod is needed.

You do get many slightly different types and chemical make ups of Silicon sprays Steve, most of which are specifically for use on rubber seals etc.
I’ve never came across any that would cause damage to the sib, but that said, you might just have to be extra careful which one you choose.

I do know some products sold as lubricants/degreasers such as wd40 types can cause issues though on certain finishes.

Hdpe was so bloody difficult to work with skidding around when I tried, I would have thought just water would have worked!

I guess dunking the trailer would help along with a pulling brace, but then you’ve got to figure in the extra time, cost, and maintenance on the the hubs etc due to the salt water. Also breaking down and putting into the van might be a consideration.

I suppose if not for pulling the caravan, and winter storage wasn’t an issue, you would almost be as well going down the light weight rib road
Old 08 October 2023, 12:08   #23

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I'd expect silicone on the tubes might make any patch needed in the future a devil to stick unless extensive prep was used. A DIY one part glue temp patch mid holiday may not work at all.
Old 08 October 2023, 14:10   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
I'd expect silicone on the tubes might make any patch needed in the future a devil to stick unless extensive prep was used. A DIY one part glue temp patch mid holiday may not work at all.
Good point David. Sand paper as a minimum would would probably be a must for such emergency repairs.
I’m sure there’s been a few OB trolley conversions on here if can find them. Was one of them yours?

A friend sent a folding golf trolley conversion from YouTube as well which might be worth considering for certain local launches for us.

https://youtu.be/aYj3GWu7G3Q?si=-ow-iPLiVw_V3M2h

https://youtu.be/D1GRsFP-mQc?si=OCd11iEmwoMx3-lV
Old 08 October 2023, 14:20   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Good point David. Sand paper as a minimum would would probably be a must for such emergency repairs.
I’m sure there’s been a few OB trolley conversions on here if can find them. Was one of them yours?

A friend sent a folding golf trolley conversion from YouTube as well which might be worth considering for certain local launches for us.

https://youtu.be/aYj3GWu7G3Q?si=-ow-iPLiVw_V3M2h

https://youtu.be/D1GRsFP-mQc?si=OCd11iEmwoMx3-lV
Old 08 October 2023, 15:30   #26

Yep I think I may have been guilty of starting a bow trolley thread in the past.

This is mine and all I can say is inventive golf trolley conversions and similar are it does the job so well if mine were lost I'd just buy the same again.

https://www.compass24.com/motor/boat...SABEgIrxvD_BwE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ready to launch.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	143966  
Old 08 October 2023, 15:35   #27

Here is the thread I started some 7yrs ago showing the ideas of others and my own bow trolley journey.

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/how-fa...els-71295.html
Old 08 October 2023, 18:49   #28

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinormeg View Post
Tidy work. Cheers for sharing and giving us food for thought.

We have been fully loading the Volaire before moving it on transom wheels over some considerable distance on poor surfaces a few times lately. Lifting and pulling with just one handle either side.
I’m really struggling to manage that as time goes on, and I seem to be getting weaker each time we are out

But my son is bulking out nicely and takes it in his stride. (Should have had 2 sons, although be cheaper paying for a mooring)

So we might have to watch for the handles too, as I did notice the last time hauling and lifting put a hell of strain on them!

We never really trusted the outboard trolley we got with the boat for the Suzuki 20 so we put the OB on the transom, with full tilt in case the wheels give way!
But will have to try get the trolley out from the back of the shed and see if a mod is needed.

You do get many slightly different types and chemical make ups of Silicon sprays Steve, most of which are specifically for use on rubber seals etc.
I’ve never came across any that would cause damage to the sib, but that said, you might just have to be extra careful which one you choose.

I do know some products sold as lubricants/degreasers such as wd40 types can cause issues though on certain finishes.

Hdpe was so bloody difficult to work with skidding around when I tried, I would have thought just water would have worked!

I guess dunking the trailer would help along with a pulling brace, but then you’ve got to figure in the extra time, cost, and maintenance on the the hubs etc due to the salt water. Also breaking down and putting into the van might be a consideration.

I suppose if not for pulling the caravan, and winter storage wasn’t an issue, you would almost be as well going down the light weight rib road
Thanks Brian,
If it's the same type of OB trolley that I bought from Excel I'm not surprised that you have no faith in it. I used mine a few times and on one occasion it nearly tipped over. It definitely isn't fit for purpose, I don't think it's designed for an OB that weighs more than 30kg. I was going to sell mine until I saw PDs modification, now I think I will adapt it to use as a bow trolley.
Old 09 October 2023, 18:19   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Thanks Brian,
If it's the same type of OB trolley that I bought from Excel I was going to sell mine until I saw PDs modification, now I think I will adapt it to use as a bow trolley.
Yup I’m sure it’s the same one Steve. Did think of selling mine and the tow bar carrier thing that’s never been out of its box.
But for all the ob truck be worth, it makes sense to try a mod.
Once again PD might be leading the way in the mod stakes where would I be without him to copy
Pressures on though, because everything you buggers make puts my attempts to shame
Old 09 October 2023, 19:02   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinormeg View Post
Yup I’m sure it’s the same one Steve. Did think of selling mine and the tow bar carrier thing that’s never been out of its box.
But for all the ob truck be worth, it makes sense to try a mod.
Once again PD might be leading the way in the mod stakes where would I be without him to copy
Pressures on though, because everything you buggers make puts my attempts to shame
It'll be a while before I even attempt any mods to the trolley. Work commitments will make it more of a winter project.
Don't think I'll be attempting anything in plastic though as PD has, more of a wood man myself.
Old 09 October 2023, 22:03   #31

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Don't think I'll be attempting anything in plastic though as PD has, more of a wood man myself.
Plastic works very similar to wood with all the same tools. Key safety is to use a negative hook saw blade, and some plastics like ABS can be grabby so don't climb cut with a router. Otherwise plastic is superior in it's many forms. You can glue, or weld it most anywhere, and heat to bend it. I keep a couple of sizes of black 4'x8' ABS sheets around for fabricating things with 3/16" being my most used thickness.
Old 09 October 2023, 22:28   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Plastic works very similar to wood with all the same tools. Key safety is to use a negative hook saw blade, and some plastics like ABS can be grabby so don't climb cut with a router. Otherwise plastic is superior in it's many forms. You can glue, or weld it most anywhere, and heat to bend it. I keep a couple of sizes of black 4'x8' ABS sheets around for fabricating things with 3/16" being my most used thickness.
maybe one day.

Tags
repair