Old 30 July 2021, 15:26   #1

Town: CHELMSFORD
Boat name: Honwave
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 9.8hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235923173
Central London

I launched in Kent. Light winds and calm. Under the QE2 bridge. Through the Thames barrier and it changed. Clipper passenger boats at 30 knots giving swell bouncing off the river walls. Lots of debris such as floating wood. Past the O2. I got to Limehouse but was glad when I was back out of the barrier.

Next time I will come in through Teddington lock and turn round when the clippers start to avoid the washing machine conditions.

If you do it you need to radio to London vts for permission to go through the barrier. The tides are strong. Enjoy but not as relaxing as the non tidal Thames!
Old 31 July 2021, 11:18   #2
A1o

Length: no boat
Hi mate,

What’s your set up??
Old 31 July 2021, 16:20   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1o View Post
Hi mate,

What’s your set up??
I've got a T32 honwave with airdeck and tohatsu 9.8hp 4 stroke
Old 31 July 2021, 22:12   #4
A1o

I’m new to all this, only just got my first set up a second hand Plastimo 2.4 with a 2hp outboard just literally testing the local waters!!

Mainly out on Heybridge Basin - Maldon Promenade, your set up is similar to what I eventually want to go for money allowing - A Honwave with a 9.9 to allow abit of coastal fishing!!

Always like the thought of doing the Thames!! Your report is defo food for though!!
Old 31 July 2021, 23:14   #5

Quote:
I’m new to all this, only just got my first set up a second hand Plastimo 2.4 with a 2hp outboard just literally testing the local waters!!

Mainly out on Heybridge Basin - Maldon Promenade, your set up is similar to what I eventually want to go for money allowing - A Honwave with a 9.9 to allow abit of coastal fishing!!

Always like the thought of doing the Thames!! Your report is defo food for though!!
I have done Heybridge from Bradwell. I still haven't don't Maldon because there is only a couple of hours tide but plan to soon.

I would recommend the non tidal Thames with your set up. If you launch at penthook it's very calm both ways. Most locks are automatic with a lock keeper. 8kmph speed limit and very scenic.
Old 01 August 2021, 12:23   #6
A1o

Thanks mate, will defo look into that..

Any decent suggestions for Colchester for my set up, I’m also cautious of what waters require a day licence to use..

Going back to your experience on the Thames was it to the point your felt unsafe so turned around?? Would you consider doing it again..

I imagine it could be beautiful at right time seeing it all from a different angle
Old 01 August 2021, 13:28   #7

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
From Colchester I’d launch at West Mersea adj the lifeboat station. It’s where we go from 80mls away here in Cambs. With your small outfit you can have a look about the moorings and two arms of the estuary, Strood channel and Rays channel, in sheltered waters.
Old 01 August 2021, 13:43   #8

Town: Romford Essex UK
Boat name: Sea Fury
Make: Bit of everything
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 90 & 6
MMSI: 232026082
RIBase
We do the Thames a lot. Its on our door step. The currents are fast and because of the twists and turns of the river, the wind seems to come from all directions. Flotsam, is a problem, there is a high amount of drift wood and other rubbish to contend with as it cannot always be seen. Once you get inbound, from the barrier, there are speed restrictions, but the river also narrows, which appears to cause more congestion.

There also more craft to contend with, such a shuttle boats etc. As this is tidal, remember that yo need to be more cautious of what's under your keel, especially when outbound from the barrier. the tidal range is considerable.

Saying that, get a local chart. the Thames is a great place to travel, but adhere to the ' rules of the road'. VHF radio is also a must.

We launch at Poplar Rowing Club and go in and out bound.

Have fun !
Old 01 August 2021, 20:08   #9
A1o

Thank you all for suggestions I will be quite now as I don’t want to Hijack the op thread :-)
Old 01 August 2021, 20:27   #10

Town: Romford Essex UK
Boat name: Sea Fury
Make: Bit of everything
Engine: Mariner 90 & 6
MMSI: 232026082
RIBase
Quote:
Thank you all for suggestions I will be quite now as I don’t want to Hijack the op thread :-)
Ask away, i do.
Old 02 August 2021, 19:21   #11

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Just a nod as we have several eastern coast boaters ,i usually do Clacton air show (watch and picnic offshore ) out of levington marina ,confirmed this year for two days end of august ,just an idea which may apeal to some of the posters on this thread who may have an interest ! thanks
Old 02 August 2021, 20:51   #12

Town: East Kent and Brittany
Boat name: Cameo
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235067011
+1 for Poplar Rowing Club slip (which is public), talk to the rowing club, and be friendly to them, they're a great bunch and they're very understanding but may ask you for some help safety boating. We helped them for a number of years.

We lived around the corner and used to have our 4.8M Ribcraft in the underground car park!

The good news about that is that its inside the Thames Barrier, and not far up to the sites of london, up as far as parliament. Quite often we did a trip on Sunday morning and would be back for cuppa and a bacon roll by 11am!

Just make sure it's reliable, better to get in and/or off at around slack ish water .. lots of the clipper captains (I know), are also Ribbers so will do their best to make sure you are ok. (the CEO is also a member of Poplar Rowing Club!)

Make sure you've a VHF on the right channel (14 for that part of the river), and pay attention to the Met boats who will often come over and say hello!

Apart from that if you don't know much, maybe try some less challenging places first to get confidence, and the RYA Power Boat Courses will give you a good idea too.

Good luck.