Old 04 May 2023, 07:44   #81

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
That crack is a PITA, quality control at the factory can't be up to much.
I bought new bolts as I don't think the bolts supplied are long enough, but I should have used thicker penny washers to stop the cupping.
Old 04 May 2023, 08:18   #82

Town: Leicester
Make: Yam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
That crack is a PITA, quality control at the factory can't be up to much.
I've now found that there are only 4 quick release lugs and there should be 8.
Hopefully this gets resolved soon. I will update.
Old 04 May 2023, 19:16   #83

Town: Hayling Island
Make: Excel Volante 390
Engine: Tohatsu 20hp
I doubled up my washers, using 25mm and 40mm so no chance of cupping.
Also bought some longer bolts and all seems ok at the moment.
I have not had a chance to launch yet so will keep you informed .
Old 10 May 2023, 19:41   #84

Short video of wheels in use

I had forgotten that Di had taken a short video of the wheels in use for the first time. It was very easy to manoeuvre Redneck and I found that it was pretty evenly balanced even though it was well loaded.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/ckH4oqg1KJA
Old 11 May 2023, 14:52   #85

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Link not working for me Steve

Scrap that comment... was signed out of the forum for some reason.

Good the wheels working well for you.
Out of interest what was you using as a carry handle at the bow?
Old 11 May 2023, 15:22   #86

Hi Brian, 15mm chromed copper pipe with bicycle hand grips either end and 20mm webbing looped through the bow handle. Makes life so much easier.
Old 21 May 2023, 17:09   #87

I spoke to Chas Newman Marine and they were great. They sent me a replacement wheel and lugs really quickly and we're very apologetic. Really good customer service.

I've fitted them this weekend. Despite being really careful woth the hole placement I'm finding them very tight to fit. If I slacken the lugs, so I have a bit of movement, they will fit. Then if I tighten up the nuts with the heels in place I can remove the wheels, but can't refit them. I'm probably less than a mm out.
I think I'm going to open out the holes on the plate by a tiny bit with my dremmel, probably less than a mm and see how it goes.

I have also come up with a solution for my fishfinger transducer. I've taken out one of the bolts and replaced it with a longer bit of threaded bar. This holds the fish finder transducer in a perfect position.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else needed to fettle the holes. It's definitely not a quality issue, just my workmanship!

Old 21 May 2023, 18:57   #88

Hi Blankton, don't beat yourself up about your workmanship. The tolerance is very, very fine. I drilled the holes on the transom slightly bigger than the 6mm recommend, think I took it up to 7 or 8 mm. Loosely fitted the wheel lugs, fitted the wheels, then tighted the wheel lugs. I did mark the wheels up left and right as I found they are not interchangeable, as you say nothing to do with the quality of the wheels but more to do with my drilling being a gnats out! The wheels are still a very tight fit on the lugs, but I would sooner have it that way rather than too slack. I think they will probably loosen up over time. I was out last weekend on Ullswater and found it so much easier to launch and beach Redneck with the new wheels, to be honest it was so easy I didn't even think about it.
Interested in how you've fitted the transducer, can you take some more pics when it's all set up.
Old 22 May 2023, 08:18   #89

Make: Zodiac
Engine: Mercury 20hp
I've still not had time to fit my set from Chas Newman Marine. Will take lot of care drilling in the right place!

Blankton I had an issue with one of the wheels not locking down easily - the sprung section was sticking and so I sent them back - they were really helpful and prompt - v pleased with the customer service too..

I got the quick-release ones too as I fancied being able to take them off but I store and transport the boat on a trailer so they only come off for the occasional clean. I'll report back here when I put them on...

Steve I've got a very similar bow handle to yours - a carabiner on a section of old snooker cue with wrap of tape
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-05-22 at 09.10.56.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	307.6 KB
ID:	142711  
Old 22 May 2023, 08:58   #90

Hi Tonus, they definitely are a bugger to drill in the right place. I found it easier with an 8mm bit using the wheel brackets and mounts as a guide. It's in the video I put on here.
A bow handle really makes it easier and kinder on the hands.
Old 23 May 2023, 17:26   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Hi Blankton, don't beat yourself up about your workmanship. The tolerance is very, very fine. I drilled the holes on the transom slightly bigger than the 6mm recommend, think I took it up to 7 or 8 mm. Loosely fitted the wheel lugs, fitted the wheels, then tighted the wheel lugs. I did mark the wheels up left and right as I found they are not interchangeable, as you say nothing to do with the quality of the wheels but more to do with my drilling being a gnats out! The wheels are still a very tight fit on the lugs, but I would sooner have it that way rather than too slack. I think they will probably loosen up over time. I was out last weekend on Ullswater and found it so much easier to launch and beach Redneck with the new wheels, to be honest it was so easy I didn't even think about it.
Interested in how you've fitted the transducer, can you take some more pics when it's all set up.
Hi Steve. I did originally try to slacken the bolts, then fit wheels and re-tighten, so that the lugs were spot on, but when I did a trial remove and re-fit they were still too tight. I've opened out the offending hole with a rotary burr, probably less than a mm and now they go on and off fairly smoothly.

To mount the transducer I have replaced one of the lower 6mm bolts on the wheels with a bit of 6mm threaded bar, which sticks out of the side.

My transducer bracket looked like this, with a hinge. In the photo I've already removed the bolt that formed the "pin" of the transducer mount hinge.

With it removed, this can fit on the threaded bar with a nut and washer.

It's saved an extra hole in the transom, but the real advantage is that it's fitted right over under the tube. I couldn't easily fit it there if screwing to the transom, as it would be sitting on the rubber transom collar thingys.

Old 23 May 2023, 17:44   #92

Great idea for the transducer, makes it neat, tidy and so much easier.

I'm assuming you use a picture hosting site to get the pictures "within" the text?
Old 13 June 2023, 09:29   #93

So I've just started fitting my Beachmaster type wheels bought from from Chas Newens Marine. I've got one on so far - man, the tolerance for even being a mm out is crazy - I'm about as happy as I can be with the first one but I'm glad I'm not intending to put these on and take off each time I launch. Even saying that I'm also glad that I got the quick release version as if they were fixed I'd have to be widening the holes in either my transom or the lugs...
I have a recessed aluminium transom so I'm using thick plastic washers as spacers and that seems to have worked ok so far.

I had a question about the general 'rickety-ness' of the wheels - Steve and Blankton - how much did you tighten the wheels after fitting to be happy that they aren't too shaky?! Hard to explain what going on with these wheels unless you own them, but there isn't a right angle on the whole mechanism, at least on mine and also the guy's wheels on this post as far as I can see... the bolts on the plate are flared out at a more than 90 degree angle.
The rubber rings in-between the lower bolts and the arms have quite a bit of space even when I give them a pretty good tighten.

Steve - how have they been in use? Am a bit dubious at the moment!!
Do they need tightening right up?!
Old 13 June 2023, 11:14   #94

Hi Tonus, so far I've only been out twice this year, but on both occasions I've been more than happy with the wheels. The big test will be next month in Scotland for a couple of weeks.
I'm at work, but I'll take a look at my wheels when I get home to see if I can understand what you mean.
Old 13 June 2023, 20:06   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
I had a question about the general 'rickety-ness' of the wheels - Steve and Blankton - how much did you tighten the wheels after fitting to be happy that they aren't too shaky?! Hard to explain what going on with these wheels unless you own them, but there isn't a right angle on the whole mechanism, at least on mine and also the guy's wheels on this post as far as I can see... the bolts on the plate are flared out at a more than 90 degree angle.
The rubber rings in-between the lower bolts and the arms have quite a bit of space even when I give them a pretty good tighten.

Do they need tightening right up?!
I really don't understand what you mean by "the bolts on the plate are flared out at a more than 90 degree angle" - perhaps a picture would help explain it better.

"The rubber rings in-between the lower bolts and the arms" - do you mean the plastic spacers on the axle to stop the wheel binding on the frame? If that's the case, then there should be some movement.

Don't overtighten anything! Tighten all the bolts, then back them off a little so everything moves freely. All the bolts are fitting with nyloc nuts so it won't be a problem. I agree, the wheels and frame do appear to be a bit "shaky", but once they are under load being used or locked in the up position they are fine and don't rattle or shake at all.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0001~2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	142829  
Old 14 June 2023, 12:40   #96

Steve - thanks for taking the time to reply - that's all good advice.
I've attached a picture to show what I meant by 'bolts on the plate are flared out at more than a 90 degree angle' - I thought the bolt I've shown should be at 90 to the back plate that faces the transom. But the bends in the plate and hence the bolts are sort of toeing outwards...
The 'rubber rings' I mentioned - I didn't mean the axle spacers you kindly showed, but the two little silicon rings that are in focus in my picture...

But to be honest you're right - now that both the wheels are on and after a gentle tightening it all seems pretty solid.
What I didn't bargain for was that when the wheels are under load they end up a lot closer to the underside of the boat - mine are less than 10mm from touching! I'll have to keep an eye on that.

The whole process went pretty well on the whole - I might put a little video together to show what I did, or at least a few pictures! Looking forward to testing them out on a slipway.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4176.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	142830  
Old 14 June 2023, 20:34   #97

Hi Tonus, I see what you mean about the angle of the bolt. I've had a look at mine and the angle doesn't appear to be as much as yours. But if the wheels are working as expected, I wouldn't be too concerned.
Old 01 July 2023, 06:59   #98

Town: Wigan
Boat name: Don’t have one yet
Does anybody know the difference in materials used in the originals and the copies? I’ve emailed the company that makes the originals about materials used, but to no avail, yet.

There’s a few things I don’t scrimp on: shoes, beds, chairs & of course wheels. You’re always on one of those! Boats now come into that.
Old 01 July 2023, 07:45   #99

Town: Worcs-West Mids border
Boat name: .
Make: .
Engine: Suzuki 20HP EFI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
I’ve emailed the company that makes the originals about materials used, but to no avail
They probably think you are from a rival copy-cat company, involved in industrial espionage [emoji57].

Even if you got the info from them, you would also have to get the equivalent info from the various firms making the copies. You're probably on a hiding to nothing....

Possibly sturaffs, who has owned both, knows?
Old 01 July 2023, 07:49   #100

Town: Wigan
Boat name: Don’t have one yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trello View Post
They probably think you are from a rival copy-cat company, involved in industrial espionage [emoji57].

Even if you got the info from them, you would also have to get the equivalent info from the various firms making the copies. You're probably on a hiding to nothing....

Possibly sturaffs, who has owned both, knows?
Maybe I am

I tempted to get the originals. It will depend on money after my summer holiday. If I do, I’ll compare them to Steve’s and ask a mate of mine to make the comparison. He’s an experienced metal worker. Of course I’ll report back.