Old 06 June 2023, 20:09   #1

Town: Wirral
Boat name: Fury
Make: Tobin
Length: under 3m
Engine: Outboard petrol 6hp
Angelsey.Newbie.launching sib.

Hi folks
I visit Angelsey a lot so as a newbie with a 3m sib and 6hp outboard could I glean some opinions or help on the following.

1. Is it possible to launch direct from a beach without using the slipways? Nothing to do with registration or insurance, I will have those, just wondering if I can anywhere?

2. For a newbie can you tell me what you consider to be the easiest slipway to launch from as my first attempt?

3. If I launch from a slip, and toodle along the coast a bit, can I "park" my sib on a beach if I wanted a break or the toilet etc etc?

Thank you for the replies,.much appreciated.
Old 06 June 2023, 21:30   #2

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassneck View Post
Hi folks
I visit Angelsey a lot so as a newbie with a 3m sib and 6hp outboard could I glean some opinions or help on the following.

1. Is it possible to launch direct from a beach without using the slipways? Nothing to do with registration or insurance, I will have those, just wondering if I can anywhere.
Some beaches on Anglesey do have restricted access such as Cemaes Bay and Porth Dafarch to name just 2. However, 3 beaches where you can definitely launch from the beach are - Trearddur, Rhosneigr and Borth Wen.
Borth Wen is a good, sheltered bay which if you are not use to launching in the sea, would be my suggestion to learn on.

Quote:
2. For a newbie can you tell me what you consider to be the easiest slipway to launch from as my first attempt
For a first time slipway launch, I would recommend Trearddur. Good slipway where you can launch from, then "park" your sib on the beach whilst you sort things out. Sand is hard packed so you can launch and recover from the beach if you get the tide times wrong. Good nearby parking.

Quote:
3. If I launch from a slip, and toodle along the coast a bit, can I "park" my sib on a beach if I wanted a break or the toilet etc etc?
Not a problem, but just be aware of the tides. Assuming you have transom wheels it is pretty easy to beach and relaunch at Trearddur and Borth Wen. Rhosneigr can be a little problematic when the tide goes out as it gets very muddy in parts.

Hope that helps.

Tags
sib