Old 19 October 2023, 13:12   #21

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenks87 View Post
So this was my other worry, I havnt had a console in a small boat before so don’t want to order it without being certain. It’s literally used for fishing only really so space is first on my list. Guna have a good measure of the boat etc and if not much room may have to re-think and look at a bigger boat in the near future if I want a console.
Heres the layout of our small rib with the console pushed forward there was deck space behind tank and battery went in console so realy no wasted deck area as they would be taking up space anyway if you were single handed you could sit on the seat facing rearward & fish 360° without moving. Still enough space to handle anchor & rope in front of console obviously tank is laid on deck in the picture but usually pushed under the seatClick image for larger version

Name:	received_1307062236525619.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	144039
Old 19 October 2023, 13:20   #22

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by User name View Post
Personally, I'd prefer not to have a console in a fishing boat, unless the boat is large and very roomy.

Depending on what you're fishing for, you may need to move around the boat to prevent the fish from going under it, or crossing another person/rod. It'll be more awkward if you have a seat/steering in the way. I prefer to have as much open floor space as possible for unhooking, baiting, rigging etc.

The console will be a lot more fun to use besides fishing though.
I agree
Old 19 October 2023, 13:27   #23

Town: Swansea
Boat name: X pro
Make: 3d tender
Length: 3m +
Engine: 30hp 4 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Heres the layout of our small rib with the console pushed forward there was deck space behind tank and battery went in console so realy no wasted deck area as they would be taking up space anyway if you were single handed you could sit on the seat facing rearward & fish 360° without moving. Still enough space to handle anchor & rope in front of console obviously tank is laid on deck in the picture but usually pushed under the seatAttachment 144039
What size is your rib? Only problem I have is I have a front storage compartment which also is a very handy seat so can’t push the jockey seat up to far as would compromise that. Just went out and measured and the smallest jockey seat is around 1.2m leaving me with not enough room behind for my cool box and other items.
Old 19 October 2023, 14:00   #24

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Honda BF15
Quote:
So this was my other worry, I havnt had a console in a small boat before so don’t want to order it without being certain. It’s literally used for fishing only really so space is first on my list. Guna have a good measure of the boat etc and if not much room may have to re-think and look at a bigger boat in the near future if I want a console.
I'm in the same boat (badum-tisshhh)...

I only use mine for fishing too. I'd maybe consider a console in a boat that was 5+ metres, but I usually fish from a 3.8 metre and by the time I have everything loaded onboard, I sometimes wish I had a bit more floor space to work from. A console wouldn't add any benefits in my case really, as I'll just be steaming out to an area and either drift or anchor up so I'm spending only a minimal amount of time operating the boat.

You should factor in whether you're going to be alone or with someone else too. If there's going to be another person fishing from it alongside you, I'd definitely give the console a miss.

What kind of fishing do you do? If you need to land them for unhooking, or dispatch, prep/flapper some dead baits then you'll want a bit of a flat surface to work from. You'll probably want a bait bucket, an anchor/bucket/chain etc too, so it all eats into your usable floor space.
Old 19 October 2023, 14:12   #25

Quote:
What size is your rib? Only problem I have is I have a front storage compartment which also is a very handy seat so can’t push the jockey seat up to far as would compromise that. Just went out and measured and the smallest jockey seat is around 1.2m leaving me with not enough room behind for my cool box and other items.
That boat was built as a 3.6m but ended up more like 3.7. I'll measure the console when I'm home at the weekend, I've still got the mould for it in the workshop & could make one if suitable Click image for larger version

Name:	20230208_093744.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	144040
Old 19 October 2023, 14:45   #26

Quote:
I'm in the same boat (badum-tisshhh)...

I only use mine for fishing too. I'd maybe consider a console in a boat that was 5+ metres, but I usually fish from a 3.8 metre and by the time I have everything loaded onboard, I sometimes wish I had a bit more floor space to work from. A console wouldn't add any benefits in my case really, as I'll just be steaming out to an area and either drift or anchor up so I'm spending only a minimal amount of time operating the boat.

You should factor in whether you're going to be alone or with someone else too. If there's going to be another person fishing from it alongside you, I'd definitely give the console a miss.

What kind of fishing do you do? If you need to land them for unhooking, or dispatch, prep/flapper some dead baits then you'll want a bit of a flat surface to work from. You'll probably want a bait bucket, an anchor/bucket/chain etc too, so it all eats into your usable floor space.
Hahaha, so only use for bass fishing, so have my live bait bucket, my cooler and my tackle box. I have my seat with a seat bag attached for my life jacket and other accessories clothes and then my fuel tank and battery box which sits next to each other under the engine pretty much behind bench so I do have a nice clear space at the moment. Very hard to decide but when you put it like that that console would defo add an obstruction. I’m usually solo but sometimes have another 1 up. Maybe I need to re think and upgrade in future to something bigger if I’m going down the console route.
Old 19 October 2023, 14:51   #27

Quote:
That boat was built as a 3.6m but ended up more like 3.7. I'll measure the console when I'm home at the weekend, I've still got the mould for it in the workshop & could make one if suitable Attachment 144040
Lovely little rib that ����
So just been out and measured everything that goes in the boat and with a jockey bench I wouldn’t be able to even stand up in there so that’s out the question now unfortunately, maybe I’m guna have to re-think this and look to upgrading in the future maybe. The other thing I could do is maybe just add the console on the right hand side and carry on with the bench I already have and maybe add one of those back rest single seats that bolt onto my bench for a little more comfort.
Old 19 October 2023, 15:23   #28

Quote:
Lovely little rib that ����
So just been out and measured everything that goes in the boat and with a jockey bench I wouldn’t be able to even stand up in there so that’s out the question now unfortunately, maybe I’m guna have to re-think this and look to upgrading in the future maybe. The other thing I could do is maybe just add the console on the right hand side and carry on with the bench I already have and maybe add one of those back rest single seats that bolt onto my bench for a little more comfort.
Not sure how your using up all the space in a slightly larger boat than ours or why folk think you can only fish one person in a sub 4m boat. I dont think I ever fished alone in ours I was always accompanied with either a pal or 2 kids & even 3 of us could fish 3 rods. Our console kept the deck area free, battery went in the front top, anchor & rope in lower front locker & tank under the seat area, also a storage area 6" deep below the seat base for tackle etc room on top for gps/FF & tacho & trim guage in behind the wheel. Then probably over a meter of free deck behind the jockey to stand or store more gear if needed. both humber & ribcraft offer sub 4m console boats perhaps look for one of those for sale & go take a look I think you'll be surprised how much space the console doesn't take up by essentially double decking the space. Image your fuel tank with a tackle box on top then you sat on top of the tackle box & you have your console seat basically 3 items stacked in 1 space rather than sat on the deck separately
Old 19 October 2023, 15:30   #29

Quote:
Not sure how your using up all the space in a slightly larger boat than ours or why folk think you can only fish one person in a sub 4m boat. I dont think I ever fished alone in ours I was always accompanied with either a pal or 2 kids & even 3 of us could fish 3 rods. Our console kept the deck area free, battery went in the front top, anchor & rope in lower front locker & tank under the seat area, also a storage area 6" deep below the seat base for tackle etc room on top for gps/FF & tacho & trim guage in behind the wheel. Then probably over a meter of free deck behind the jockey to stand or store more gear if needed. both humber & ribcraft offer sub 4m console boats perhaps look for one of those for sale & go take a look I think you'll be surprised how much space the console doesn't take up by essentially double decking the space. Image your fuel tank with a tackle box on top then you sat on top of the tackle box & you have your console seat basically 3 items stacked in 1 space rather than sat on the deck separately
So my cool box and my live bait bucket straight away take up a good whack of space which are the most essential for when I’m fishing. I think if I didn’t have a bow locker/seat I’d be able to shift a jockey seat up further to the bow but seems silly to do that when that can be utilised as a seat aswell as my anchor and spare fuel storage. Like you said I need to find somewhere which has a similar size boat to see what I can do without making any rash decisions. Problem I have also is when fishing I’m constantly in and out of my tackle box changing lures and using different weights hooks etc so need easy access to that when drifting.
Old 19 October 2023, 15:46   #30

Quote:
So my cool box and my live bait bucket straight away take up a good whack of space which are the most essential for when I’m fishing. I think if I didn’t have a bow locker/seat I’d be able to shift a jockey seat up further to the bow but seems silly to do that when that can be utilised as a seat aswell as my anchor and spare fuel storage. Like you said I need to find somewhere which has a similar size boat to see what I can do without making any rash decisions. Problem I have also is when fishing I’m constantly in and out of my tackle box changing lures and using different weights hooks etc so need easy access to that when drifting.
Okay I didn't realise you already had a bow locker what about something like this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314701851...mis&media=COPY
Less than half a meter square so a tiny footprint, offset to one side you can either utilise your existing bench or sit on your coolbox. Once you have a console fitted standing up in the boat is far easier as you have something to brace against & have grab handles fitted to. Being able to stand and lean a knee or your backside against the console makes a small boat feel far more stable while using both hands to fish.
Old 19 October 2023, 15:50   #31

Quote:
Okay I didn't realise you already had a bow locker what about something like this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314701851...mis&media=COPY
Less than half a meter square so a tiny footprint, offset to one side you can either utilise your existing bench or sit on your coolbox. Once you have a console fitted standing up in the boat is far easier as you have something to brace against & have grab handles fitted to. Being able to stand and lean a knee or your backside against the console makes a small boat feel far more stable while using both hands to fish.
Yes so this is what I’m leaning towards now a small console and keeping my bench seat as it is, that way I can still fit cool box in front of the console which also doubles up as a seat for extra person and my live bait bucket can stay next to me where I can access it. I’ve got an ally hull so would need to be ally console would it? New to me so unsure about this. Cheers mate
Old 19 October 2023, 15:52   #32

Quote:
Yes so this is what I’m leaning towards now a small console and keeping my bench seat as it is, that way I can still fit cool box in front of the console which also doubles up as a seat for extra person and my live bait bucket can stay next to me where I can access it. I’ve got an ally hull so would need to be ally console would it? New to me so unsure about this. Cheers mate
No need to be ally a fibreglass one will be fine, highfield use fibreglass consoles in their ally ribs. Probably a lot more choice of glass ones than ally & usually nicer looking too
Old 19 October 2023, 16:02   #33

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
There are pluses and minus' to every configuration. Having something to brace on is really nice. At other times it is in the way. I would recommend going to a boat show or some local dealers and see if you can see some console in person to help decide what you want to do. After owning a tiller for years, I am very happy to have a center console now with storage within.

Highfields helm really does not take up very much space, but it also doesn't offer any storage. If it could flop towards starboard while anchored there would be even more space. There are other versions available too.

Old 19 October 2023, 18:20   #34

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
On my 4.5m Rib with centre console and murder seat and single jocky seat. There is only space for 2 people, fishing or otherwise
Old 19 October 2023, 19:54   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
There are pluses and minus' to every configuration. Having something to brace on is really nice. At other times it is in the way. I would recommend going to a boat show or some local dealers and see if you can see some console in person to help decide what you want to do. After owning a tiller for years, I am very happy to have a center console now with storage within.

Highfields helm really does not take up very much space, but it also doesn't offer any storage. If it could flop towards starboard while anchored there would be even more space. There are other versions available too.

Yes defo, may pop down to my local boat dealership and see what set ups they have in there, pretend I’m an interested customer haha prob come out with a new boat 🙈 thanks for the advice, I think it is a win lose situation will enjoy the steering with the console but will miss the space. Guna have to try before i buy.
Old 19 October 2023, 19:56   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easedalenovice View Post
On my 4.5m Rib with centre console and murder seat and single jocky seat. There is only space for 2 people, fishing or otherwise
I had the option of going that slightly bigger but it was a fair bit more at the time, kind of regretting it now but that extra bit of length always helps apparently ha. Think around the 4.5m is the perfect set up for solo with a console defo something I’m guna look into soon.
Old 02 November 2023, 16:31   #37

So decided to go for the tiller option in the end due to funds and also keeping space on the boat but I have purchased a nice low back seat on a swivel pedestal which I now need to fit. Nice wide self tappers and some sealant is the best so you reckon for a nice solid fix to the ally floor?
Old 02 November 2023, 17:20   #38

Quote:
So decided to go for the tiller option in the end due to funds and also keeping space on the boat but I have purchased a nice low back seat on a swivel pedestal which I now need to fit. Nice wide self tappers and some sealant is the best so you reckon for a nice solid fix to the ally floor?
I would go with rivnuts if it were me. You can pick up a whole kit fairly cheaply these days and they super handy to have.
Old 02 November 2023, 17:50   #39

Quote:
I would go with rivnuts if it were me. You can pick up a whole kit fairly cheaply these days and they super handy to have.
Do you need access from underneath with them? Which I don’t have. I’m looking to get the strongest fix possible which I’m hoping will be ok with the ally hull on a smaller boat like this.
Old 03 November 2023, 08:32   #40

Quote:
Do you need access from underneath with them? Which I don’t have. I’m looking to get the strongest fix possible which I’m hoping will be ok with the ally hull on a smaller boat like this.
No, you just drill a suitably sized hole and drop the rivnut into it. Using the compression tool, you squeeze the rivnut so that it mushrooms on the backside and sandwiches the floor in the middle. They make for a really solid bond, especially when you'll be spreading the load across 4 or so bolts.

Tags
tender