Old 07 July 2023, 06:14   #1

Town: Letchworth Garden City
Boat name: Bob
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Outboard
1970s zodiac SIB .

Hi all
I've just joined ribnet and have a few questions for anyone with knowledge of old zodiac SIB's, I have what I think is a 1970s model, it's a light grey 6 man boat with wooden floorboards and stringers, wooden transerm with an aluminium motor mount. zodiac logo on the nose and a female thread for zodiac flag .it has 4 carry handles on the side and valves both sides towards the front of the main tubes. It's folded in two green canvas bags, one for the boat and one for the boards. My dad bought this in the early 1980s and we used to take it to the Isle of Wight every year on holiday. Some of my best childhood memories were all about the boat....OK so to the point. I still have it but its been folded now for probably 30 years and dry stored. If I were to let the poor thing see daylight again and attempt to inflate it, would I have problems with the glued joints etc, also cannot find the valves which were grey with the caps on string, could these be replaced easily? I would love to get the old girl back on the water so any expert advice would be great.
Old 07 July 2023, 09:26   #2

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF15
I'm not an expert but I've had and repaired a few over the years.

The valves should be handy enough to replace as even really old types are still available, or you can replace them with newer types. There's a good chance the glue is fine after being in storage all those years, but it's not just UV that breaks down the glue. Age itself and fatigue/work hardening can break down the glue and/or the fabric too. Since yours has been doing nothing all that time, it might be ok. Only way to know for sure is to give it a test.
Old 07 July 2023, 18:47   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I guess you have bought the next size up from my old Mk.1 as below. Might the valves be still in place within the packed boat?

As said above re condition just get it inflated and make an assessment. They were superbly made so if any SIB stands a chance of lasting one of these would.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zodiac Mk.1 packed.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	143020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zodiac Floor.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	143021   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zodiac Mk.I.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	143022   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tohatsu on Zodiac.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	143023  
Old 07 July 2023, 21:49   #4

Thankyou so much for your response, that's great to know I can still get the valves. I'll have yo unroll the boat, possibly on a warm day to soften the rubber and carefully inflate the old girl !! Fingers crossed .
Old 07 July 2023, 21:54   #5

Yes that's exactly our boat !! Thankyou so much for the pictures. Great to find someone with one the same, good to know they were so well made , I'll unroll it on a warm day and inflate it !! Fingers crossed !!
Old 07 July 2023, 21:58   #6

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Just so I don't mislead... I sold that Zodiac more than 10yrs ago. When it came to me about 15yrs ago like yours it had lived its previous life stored mostly untouched in the bags.

Tags
sib, zodiac