Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 24 July 2018, 15:48   #1

Town: Goole
Boat name: Them Kids
Make: Prowave and aquafax
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp yam &Honda 5hp
15hp Yam 2 stroke on 3m inflatable... Too Much?

I’ve jut got another inflatable, (Aquafax) my issue is it’s only rated to 10hp my other boat at 3.2m was rated to 15hp. I do also have a 5hp Honda 4 stroke which I was going to take on holiday with me and if I thought it would do around 10mph (Yam + 3.2m = 26mph) I’d be fine but ...... I don’t think there’s much chance of that! So apart from the obvious Insurance side, the max engine weight on the 3m is 45kg yet on the 3.2m it’s 37kg. I know I’ve answered my own question here...... could it flip the boat even on a flat sea? (Boat weighs 31kg) v (45kg on 3.2m) I don’t have to go flat out!......all the time?.. would my family go with me twice?
Is the transom strong enough?
Common sense has prevailed and as a former Merchant Navy Officer and now a Health and Safety Manager I’ll do the right thing.........
But!! Do you think it would fly with the 15hp on? I am just curious ... anyone have experience of overpowering an inflatable?
Please keep it to the fun, exhilarating exciting side and not the near miss scary stuff. Tony
Old 24 July 2018, 16:05   #2

Town: Cheltenham
Make: Marex
Length: 9m +
RIBase
go with the 15, it will be much more fun!
Old 24 July 2018, 16:57   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>keep it to the fun, exhilarating exciting side and not the near miss scary stuff.

I'm aiming for somewhere in the middle ha ha...

I would guess when looking at outboard ratings SIB makers consider several factors from transom and its attachment strength to stability under power. I'm guessing yours is an air floor and these tend to be down rated from an alloy floor as the sharing of transom thrust between tube and floor is less effective with an air floor. Also air floors can give odd behaviours (the old running over a whale's back scenario) when powered at or over their max.

Re flipping it is really only likely if you are solo sitting at the stern with fuel tank adj transom and a heavy throttle hand. Once you get the fuel tank further forward plus add people and kit then it's just a case of making sure you don't drive it beyond its build quality** and/or condition if a used boat.

**>>>Is the transom strong enough?

That is something you will have to report back on... the brand is little known on here... you are the tester!
Old 25 July 2018, 06:31   #4

Town: Goole
Boat name: Them Kids
Make: Prowave and aquafax
Engine: 15hp yam &Honda 5hp
You’re right Fenlander, all valid points and I know I’ll use and match the boat / engines safely and accordingly........ the sensible,responsible man i am now will prevail.
Oh dear. When did I suddenly get old?
Last question? As anyone overpowered their inflatable and thought WOW! That was scary😁.... Again!
Old 25 July 2018, 19:48   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
I had a 15 on a zodiac 310 zoom solid yes rated at 15 but a very light rig I didn't have any cause for concern.
Old 27 July 2018, 06:39   #6

Town: Cheshire
Make: Honwave T35ae
Engine: Mercury 15
Iv a honwave t 35 with a Mercury 15 great fun