Old 05 November 2011, 22:08   #1

Town: Dereham
Boat name: Alexandro
Make: I'd love to know
Length: 7m +
Engine: optimax 225hp
Two wheels or four

Recently moved from s SIB to a RIB.
after winning a nice size one on the BAY. I collected it and towed it home 360 miles behind my van. On its first first outing, on the 25 mile trip to the coast a Suspension unit collapsed leaving me wondering what would have happened if it had done that on the motorway at 60mph.

anyway done an A-Team repair by whipping back home nicking the solid axle off my baggage trailer and bolting it to the boat trailer, and still managed to get an hour on the water before the tide put a stop to play.

The boat is now on a borrowed mooring while I sort the trailer. The current set up was no good for the weight and I need to put it right especially as I intend to tow it to Spain next summer. and to keep within the law I need to add brakes.

...Boat believed to be a humber is 7m by 2.6m and is probably about 700kg
...Trailer is quite heavy duty galvanized and has been converted at some point from a bunk to a roller. is about 350kg
...Engine Old Mercury 100hp 2 stroke is 163kg
...fixtures and fittings and junk on board 150kg
...camping gear that will be chucked in the boat on travels 200kg

Total 1563kg

also I need to future proof for a second/bigger engine so i'm looking for 1800kg max

Finally the question????????????

Although I will mostly use my 3.5 tonne van for towing. when the missus and kids want to go out ill need to use my Mondeo.

So............
Do I convert to 4 wheels on 900kg/pair braked suspension units for the extra control/stability. but trade off the maneuverability and higher mainanance costs. (brakes/tyres)etc

or Do I stick with two wheels on 1800kg/pair braked suspension units. and with the money I save on not buying the extra Axel/wheels/tyres/suspension units I can fit an Alko Stabilizer Hitch and have the ease of moving it around and lower mainanance.

Your thoughts gratefully accepted.

106/104N
Old 05 November 2011, 22:18   #2

Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by derdle View Post
Your thoughts gratefully accepted.
Hi Derdle :wave:

You could save yourself a lot of hassle IMO..... Stu had for sale on here a tidy looking twin axle multiroller Snipe Y20 -2600 Trailer which should work with the 7m....for £1350

Then sell on the old one.....

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 November 2011, 07:25   #3

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
One point you should consider is that two 900kg/pair axles does not equal an 1800kg trailer rating AFAIK. I forget what the exact formula is to arrive at total rating for a twin axle trailer but it's something like the rating of one axle plus half the rating of the second axle, to take into account possible weight transfer from one axle to another over rough ground, ramp breakovers etc. So if the above formula was correct and you want an 1800kg trailer you'd need two 1200kg axles because the rating would be 1200kg + (1200/2=600kg) = 1800kg, but check the formula because I'm not sure whether 50% is right or whether it is another percentage.

I agree with Dan though - another trailer might be easier....

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 November 2011, 07:46   #4

Town: NW Surrey
Boat name: Lady Helen
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Out Petrol 3.5 & 15
According to Towing Capacity Alfa Romeo, ( you need to select Ford and Mondeo from the base page) the maximum towing capacity of a Mondeo is 1500kg but you should check the figure in the handbook for the year/model you have.
Old 06 November 2011, 08:41   #5

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
I would stick to towing with the van can't beat having some weight in front of you I have just got a redbay 6.5 m on a twin axle and it tows like a dream behind either of my Land Rovers.
Don't forget to add the weight of all the kit you will be tacking as well

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1344823295.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	63725
Old 06 November 2011, 09:22   #6

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Engine: 90 Mariner
The 1800kg max that you want - is that payload (i.e. boat + gear) or max GVW (i.e. boat + gear + trailer)?

If it's the former, you'll need to go for a larger than 1800kg axle, as you'll need to add the weight of your trailer to that 1800kg payload requirement. If you suspect the trailer to weigh 350kg then this would give you a GVW of 2150kg. You'll be hard pressed to get a single axle trailer to take 2150kg, never mind get a pair of single axle units / single beam axle to take that sort of weight.

As you've stated the trailer's currently unbraked, my suspicion is the trailer chassis itself is probably not up to the job of taking that sort of weight. You'll need to strengthen the chassis, winch post etc before thinking of upgrading the running gear.

To give you an idea of the sort of chassis you'll need, this is one of the largest capacity, single axle, trailers you can get. It's 1800kg GVW, giving a payload of 1300kg. You can now see that the chassis has to be pretty robust (as it weighs circa 500kg on it's own), it needs to resist flexing under towing and bending when you're launching and recovering.

If you're looking to buy the gear and do it yourself I can honestly see you spending £1k to get the trailer up to spec. Unfortunatley, the running gear is the expensive stuff - the rest of it is just galvanised steel!

I don't mean to pee all over your bonfire (no seasonal pun intended ), but I think you'd be better off spending your pennies on a trailer that's already built for purpose.

The Snipe listed on here looks pretty good for the money now, huh?... - no vested interest,the way, just an opinion!

PS. 1563kg is going to be too much for most Mondeos and 1800kg is going to be waaaay too much!
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 November 2011, 09:41   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishLes View Post
According to Towing Capacity Alfa Romeo, ( you need to select Ford and Mondeo from the base page) the maximum towing capacity of a Mondeo is 1500kg but you should check the figure in the handbook for the year/model you have.
Hi EnglishLes

I think that site is a few years out of date as my car isn't even listed.

I have a 2010 Mondeo Estate Titanium X 140 TDCI and .it is listed at 2000kg by Ford.
Old 06 November 2011, 09:52   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbill RIBs View Post
Hi Derdle :wave:

You could save yourself a lot of hassle IMO..... Stu had for sale on here a tidy looking twin axle multiroller Snipe Y20 -2600 Trailer which should work with the 7m....for £1350

Then sell on the old one.....
Hi Razorbill, thanks for the advice. but what puts me off is as you say... "tidy Looking"?????

So did the one that came with the boat and now i've only got one wheel on my wagon.

As I mentioned the trailer itself is solid. it uses a 6mm thick 155mm x 80mm C-section steel beam across the the width to mount the suspension units.

I am well aware of the costs involved to modify the trailer but for £1K I'll have a solid as good as new twin axle trailer. Or Similarly a Solid as new single axle trailer for less ££££.
Old 06 November 2011, 09:57   #9

Thanks trailerguy for absolutely nothing if you had actualy bothered to read my post you would have the answers with regards to the weight that i'm dragging. but I was after some advise on experience with twin or single axles not after someone to flog me a trailer.
Old 06 November 2011, 10:00   #10

Hi discomick, another person who hasn't read the post if I stick with the van where do I put the extra passengers when I take out the whole family?????????????? and yes if you had read the post I have added all the gear to the overall weight.
Old 06 November 2011, 10:09   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
One point you should consider is that two 900kg/pair axles does not equal an 1800kg trailer rating AFAIK. I forget what the exact formula is to arrive at total rating for a twin axle trailer but it's something like the rating of one axle plus half the rating of the second axle, to take into account possible weight transfer from one axle to another over rough ground, ramp breakovers etc. So if the above formula was correct and you want an 1800kg trailer you'd need two 1200kg axles because the rating would be 1200kg + (1200/2=600kg) = 1800kg, but check the formula because I'm not sure whether 50% is right or whether it is another percentage.

I agree with Dan though - another trailer might be easier....
Thank you BogMonster Finally some useful/constructive information that although makes obvious sense I had not considered. This will obviously increase the price slightly.
Old 06 November 2011, 10:18   #12

Length: 3m +
DERDLE

Try reading the post yourself, then you'd realise everyone is trying to give you good advice , not "sell" you a trailer. , Maybe you should have asked for advice earlier , as you obviously dont know what you are on about !

And you have just realised it ! DOH
Old 06 November 2011, 10:29   #13

Town: groningen
Boat name: tess, searanger
Make: sailer, avon 5,4
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard, suzuki 90
Hey folks,
I'm not english and luckely i "don't" understand all the things they write on here but IMHO Ribber Duck is a bit right.
Man o man what kind of c..p can a man bring, please Derdle try to see the good in people and do or don't do anything with their comments and good ment advises.
And for that if you won't bother to thank all the advisors i will.
Super folks thanks for the advises and please don't stop giving them because i'm sure i need those sometime in the near future.

reg
diverbert
Old 06 November 2011, 10:34   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribber duck View Post
DERDLE

Try reading the post yourself, then you'd realise everyone is trying to give you good advice , not sell you a trailer. , Maybe you should have asked for advice before you bought a pile of crap , Instead of coming on here having a Gripe !!
The question was what would people recommend two wheels of four, am I missing something because if I am ill put my hands up and apologize and eat as much humble pie as you want.

so far i have had two people incorrectly quoting the towing weight of my vehicle.
three people telling me to buy a new trailer
and three asking how much weight I'm carrying when i've clearly stated.

And now you are calling my trailer a pile of crap when you have no idea what condition its in. You also have failed to read the post as I didn't buy the trailer it came with the boat.

I would be very interested on knowing the brand of suspension units you use because they are obviously impervious to salt water corrosion unlike the Avon-rides that I had fail.

So back to you...... with the exception of BogMonster what is this advise that you mention that i seem to be missing.
Old 06 November 2011, 11:05   #15

Diverbert I do apologize to everyone that posts on here and I do appreciate advise. I am a member of lots of forums. and I know first hand of the value of advise.

I am new to this Forum and don't want to offend anyone,

But for an example I said
"I normally use my van but do sometimes need to use the car when I take out the Family"
the advise was stick with the van because I find Landrovers good for towing.

I didn't mean to sound ungrateful but I don't seem to understand the relevance in the reply. please some one explain.
Old 06 November 2011, 11:34   #16

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Engine: 90 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by derdle View Post
Thanks trailerguy for absolutely nothing if you had actualy bothered to read my post you would have the answers with regards to the weight that i'm dragging. but I was after some advise on experience with twin or single axles not after someone to flog me a trailer.
You're welcome. I had no intention of 'flogging' you a trailer. Good luck with whatever path you decide to take.
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 November 2011, 11:49   #17

Town: Lancashire , Scotland
Boat name: TARKA
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: 3.3,75
And nobody has mentioned driving licence catagory's yet

From experience I would go for the Twin Axle setup, If not only for the Weight carrying , Then for the extra set of brakes , especially if towing behind the Mondeo. I hate being pushed by a trailer.

Just be carefull as you might be getting close to your towing Limit.(Remember to factor in all the Fuel carried onboard @ approx 730g / Litre)

A 4 wheel trailer will also be a lot more difficult to move around.

I dont think trailer guy was trying to sell you a trailer , just advise "Make sure the rest of the trailer is upto the job" before you invest in your current trailer , Ben has given lots of usefull advice on here with no Numeric Reward, and is a Valued member of the Ribnet Forum.

If you post a pic or 2 maybe people would have more of an Idea what you already have to work with, and advise better.

Out of curiosity was it the Blue rib on ebay a couple weeks ago up the yorkshire area ?,If so Is it a Humber ??

Alan.
Old 06 November 2011, 11:58   #18

Town: Plymouth
Trailer guy was as always offering free advice without any intention of trying to sell. Ive never seen his post include anything which can be considered as "trying to sell" anything let alone a trailer, unless of course you actually ask him to.

Unlike me for example who will offer what I can if it's at all appropriate, that's what I'm partially here to do as a trade member. Even then it's only an option which is preceded with free advice. What you choose to do with it is up to you but I'd suggest you leave sarcasm out of your reply if you want any more free advice from anybody.

And you will find anything offered on here is done so in a honest manner. It is generally fit for purpose, unless advised accordingly. I think the trailer offered was recently used to tow to France without any problems ?

Peter ~ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 06 November 2011, 12:01   #19

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Quote:
Originally Posted by derdle
Hi discomick, another person who hasn't read the post if I stick with the van where do I put the extra passengers when I take out the whole family?????????????? and yes if you had read the post I have added all the gear to the overall weight.
Well you never told us you didn't have a second row of seats.
Old 06 November 2011, 12:44   #20

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
I'd be a bit suspicious about your boat only weighing 700kg, unless you mean bare hull.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote