Click Here to Login

Old 08 May 2022, 22:51   #1

Town: Derbyshire
Boat name: Sib
Make: Aquafax
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4 stroke
Towing an inflatable Jobe Ridge 2

Hi everyone. New to the forum but been SIBing a couple of years now with my 3.5m Aquafax Adventurer coupled with a new 9.9 Mercury here in the UK Derbyshire

I've picked up a Jobe Ridge 2 from Costco. My first inflatable but doesn't come with a tow rope.

Could anyone help me identify what I need to buy? I see Bridle come up but I'm a little clueless!

TIA Chris
Old 09 May 2022, 05:59   #2

Others will be able to correct me but I believe the bridle is the section that clips to the transom either side of the outboard and then meets at a central point to which you then connect the line to and then the inflatable.

You can make the line and bridle up yourself or buy them.
Old 09 May 2022, 06:16   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TmMorris View Post
Others will be able to correct me but I believe the bridle is the section that clips to the transom either side of the outboard and then meets at a central point to which you then connect the line to and then the inflatable.

You can make the line and bridle up yourself or buy them.
Thank you. That makes sense. 👍
Old 09 May 2022, 06:43   #4

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Hi Chris, welcome.

You’ll need a tow rope, bridle and a couple of tow eyes fitted to the transom.

As Derby based perhaps worth a visit to Boatworld in Chesterfield.

https://boatworld.co.uk/towable-ropes-harness

Your Jobe towable should already have a kwik connector attached so something like the 2 or 4 rider Boatworld tube rope will attach direct to this. For a bridle I’d recommend the Airhead Demon cable bridle with floating kwik connector or the Boatworld copy which is better value.

If your transom is not already fitted with tow points, then some 8mm or preferably 10mm ss eye bolts and large penny washers will do the job. Fit them high and wide on the transom for best results.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0218.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	140455
Old 09 May 2022, 08:38   #5

This is awesome thank you! I had no idea there was a store to visit so will certainly head over there to pick up the bits I need. Thanks for the advice on fittings too. I'll grab some from Toolstation or Screwfix. ������
Old 09 May 2022, 08:39   #6

Curiously what length tow rope would you recommend?
Old 09 May 2022, 08:46   #7

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Chipko you'd know better than me is towing that Jobe with a budget SIB and 9.9hp going to work.... given the towable is close to 50% of the size and person capacity of the SIB??

BTW welcome to the forum Chris. Towing from a SIB is outside my experience but unless the Jobe has some magic qualities it all seems a bit unbalanced.

David
Old 09 May 2022, 10:14   #8

Ha Ha! Agree it is a bit of a big ask. All depends how tiny the tow victims are and how fast do ya wanna go. [emoji3]

It is a big towable, bigger than I’d choose I must admit.

Not that familiar with Aquafax but thought the 3.5 Adventurer was ally floor/blow up keel jobbie. Transom’s probably on the lightweight side but having towed toys, kneeboards and wakeboards for many hours behind a cheapo 3.5 Zodiac Zoom which had the flimsiest transom known to man, maxed up with a Suzi 20, and no visible damage then probably ok.

TBH more of a concern would be the lack of horsepower. Big difference between a 10 and 20hp when loaded.

Here’s a clip of No 1 son on a cheapo toy behind our budget Zodiac powered by a lovely Suzuki 20.

https://youtu.be/-EjNTG5iUUA
Old 09 May 2022, 10:22   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjdean View Post
Curiously what length tow rope would you recommend?

Anywhere between 50 to 55ft should be ok. We use an Airhead 2 person rope which is in two sections giving the option of 50 or 60ft to suit the conditions.

https://boatworld.co.uk/airhead-2-rider-tube-rope
Old 09 May 2022, 13:12   #10

Thanks folks. I agree getting on the plane might be a struggle with the tow. The 9.9 gets us two adults on the plane at about 12mph and 15mph is the recommend top speed for kids. I fitted the stainless eye bolts today and forgot to take photos before putting it all away again. I ordered the Jobe pulley type bridle and 50ft tow rope on Amazon so think we're all sorted for the trip in August.

Appreciate the help and will be sure to report how it all goes when we get back!
Old 09 May 2022, 13:15   #11

Haha brilliant video! I certainly could do with the extra hp but she planes nicely with 9.9 and two adults. unsure how it'll cope when towing though!

The Aquafax Adventurer was their higher end model indeed with alu floor and inflatable keel. Fab little boat.
Old 09 May 2022, 14:58   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjdean View Post
Could anyone help me identify what I need to buy? I see Bridle come up but I'm a little clueless!
I'm going to be blunt; probably considered a killjoy by some here but I think it needs said.

I think if you don't know what kit you need to get started, you should go get some training from someone who knows what they are doing. The potential for serious injuries from towables is high. The potential for flipping a small SIB trying to tow a big toy is not insignificant either.
Old 09 May 2022, 15:44   #13

Towing an inflatable Jobe Ridge 2

Agree, need to be careful but if sensible enormous fun and and massive “bang for your bucks” can be had towing from sibs.

Just to keep perspective…fairly difficult to flip a sib with the low tow points off transom and relatively slower speeds, unlike the high ski post/A-frame mounts found on larger faster craft. Although would agree the helm needs to be aware how much steerage the towee, a carving skier/wakeboarder in particular, can exert on the towing vessel

One thing worth mentioning…very big risk of hitting heads on two person toys, so at least make sure the kids wear helmets. Impact vest type buoyancy aids also help lessen the pain when hitting the water at speed.
Old 09 May 2022, 20:57   #14

Thank you for the advice. Helmets of course will be used along with all the other safety equipment. We're taking our time to prepare well in advance for the holiday in August.

We'll certainly be taking precaution and fairly doubtful we'll even get on the plane with our outboard so it could be a waste of time but we're looking forward to giving it a go all the same.

I've been boating since 14 years old in numerous types of boats from self propelled, motor, and sailing. I have rya powerboat level 2 and a degree in watersports studies and management which included instructor training.

Tags
inflatable