Old 20 October 2023, 12:23   #1

Town: Poole
Peak suspension

Got a pair of new peak suspension units. The torsion type.
Has anyone got any bright ideas to stop water/grit/salt ingress? As I see they are basically open ended where the ‘arm’ attaches. So I have spent a small fortune on POR 15 products to prep and paint them to prolong their life but seems pointless if they will just rust from the inside out.

As they are already doing. As a note to anyone buying these products a word of caution from a new owner. They come pre rusted for you to deal with so that’s nice 😭
Old 20 October 2023, 12:54   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Probably the only thing you can do is squirt something like waxoil down the voids & renew on an annual basis. Unfortunately it seems suspension components on trailers are almost classed as consumables & require renewal every 8-10 years or so. If its not the arms rotting away the brake back plates disintegrate. I guess you just need to add the cost of replacement into annual ownership costs. Over a few years it's actually not much per year
Old 20 October 2023, 13:15   #3

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF15
I'd maybe look at epoxy paints to give them some hard wearing protection if they aren't already suitably coated. The open ends will actually help to avoid trapped water inside, especially if you submerge the trailer.
Old 29 February 2024, 20:12   #4

Town: County Antrim
Boat name: Rock Hopper
Make: Humber
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200
Anyone got any ideas of the number of and diameter of wood bolts required to hold a Scott Jockey Suspension seat on the deck. The suspension unit sits on a 150mm fiberglass pod.
Old 01 March 2024, 06:08   #5

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
hi i have just fitted a pair to my rib and used no 14 cap head a4 stainless self tappers 38mm long with 30mm a4 washers i used 4 down each side and 2 at each end and the pod is bedded on sikaflex 291 . this is the same method my jockey seats were fixed and i had a hell of a job getting them off.i got all my fixings from accu online
https://www.accu.co.uk/self-tapping-...No-14-1-1-2-A4
Old 02 March 2024, 05:54   #6

Town: Colchester
I have been using Accu and there stuff is very good. Make sure you ordr what you need in on hit and buy a few extra as they charge £5.50ish postage on each order. Much of their stuff is available for next day delivery. Also if possible order the 80 grade A4 as this has a little higher tensile strength. In place of Silaflex I tend to use CT1 Clear
Old 12 March 2024, 19:43   #7

Town: County Antrim
Boat name: Rock Hopper
Make: Humber
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200
Scott suspension Seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
hi i have just fitted a pair to my rib and used no 14 cap head a4 stainless self tappers 38mm long with 30mm a4 washers i used 4 down each side and 2 at each end and the pod is bedded on sikaflex 291 . this is the same method my jockey seats were fixed and i had a hell of a job getting them off.i got all my fixings from accu online
https://www.accu.co.uk/self-tapping-...No-14-1-1-2-A4
Hi Beerbelly.
Thanks for responding. I am hoping to order the stainless self tappers before the seats are delivered and I need to know the thickness of the flange (the part that sits on the deck), of the Scott 150mm pod. Can you help?
I think its somewhere between 10 and 15mm.
Since I am a big fellow, 6ft 4in, I was going to go for No.16 screws and fit 5 down each side and 2 each end.
Old 13 March 2024, 06:41   #8

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeM View Post
Hi Beerbelly.
Thanks for responding. I am hoping to order the stainless self tappers before the seats are delivered and I need to know the thickness of the flange (the part that sits on the deck), of the Scott 150mm pod. Can you help?
I think its somewhere between 10 and 15mm.
Since I am a big fellow, 6ft 4in, I was going to go for No.16 screws and fit 5 down each side and 2 each end.
hm cant really measure them now there fitted but yes id say 10mm - 15mm sounds about right