Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Trailers & towing
Click Here to Login

Old 30 December 2022, 15:17   #1

Length: 7m +
Handbrake adjustment for a numpty

So new trailer (Knott hitch / hub) - just spent the day shifting the axle 3 times to get a nose weight that's about right. However I did not make a note of how the handbrake worked before I started.

So the axle is now 13" forward and I have shortened up the threaded rod at the plate under the trailer that "pulls" the 2 brake cables. However when I try to pull the handbrake on, it goes completely over centre and lies back towards the boat.

Obviously not correct.

U tube has some vids on Knott brakes, but these seem to be about adjusting the brakes inside the hub.

Grateful if anyone could point me in the direction of some info - think I might need to do something to the actual lever itself.

Ta
Rob
Old 30 December 2022, 16:03   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmc View Post
So new trailer (Knott hitch / hub) - just spent the day shifting the axle 3 times to get a nose weight that's about right. However I did not make a note of how the handbrake worked before I started.

So the axle is now 13" forward and I have shortened up the threaded rod at the plate under the trailer that "pulls" the 2 brake cables. However when I try to pull the handbrake on, it goes completely over centre and lies back towards the boat.

Obviously not correct.

U tube has some vids on Knott brakes, but these seem to be about adjusting the brakes inside the hub.

Grateful if anyone could point me in the direction of some info - think I might need to do something to the actual lever itself.

Ta

Rob
The lever is supposed to go 'over centre, so the ram is pushing the lever towards the boat to tension the rod if its going too far then readjust to shorten the rod. If you shorten the rod too much though the brakes will be binding on you need to hit a happy medium. Only test it going forward or the shoes rock back & release which gives a false impression. Dont try to set the handbrake up after youve reversed into a spot or the shoes will be in the auto reverse position & you wont get it set up correctly.

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
Old 30 December 2022, 16:31   #3

Length: 7m +
Thanks
Old 31 December 2022, 08:30   #4

Town: Pembroke
Boat name: Rapscallion
Make: Humber Destroyer 6.0
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-TEC 150
The pull-rod and cable system should have only a couple of mm's slack in it with the brakes off. If this is adjusted correctly and the brake shoes themselves are adjusted correctly, the handbrake should work as intended.
As Beamishken says, make sure the shoes aren't in autoreverse position before adjusting.