Old 15 May 2008, 14:57   #1

Town: Bristol
Boat name: n/a
Make: Honwave T35AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18hp 2stroke
Greasy Wheels

I've just noticed that the back of both my trailer wheels have a quite a lot of (black) grease covering them.

Previous owner says it's not been submerged in the water so bearings should be fine, I drove it 230 miles home and checked to make sure they didn't get too hot and they seemed ok.

I wondered if it's possibly where the bearings have been over filled due to being topped up as a matter of procedure. Is this possible or should I replace the bearings ASAP?

oh yeah, its a single axle, unbraked trailer
Old 15 May 2008, 15:19   #2

Town: Bursledon
Boat name: Mustard
Make: Ribeye 785
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 200/Merc 6
MMSI: 235068693
My last unbraked trailer did exactly the same. It was probably because I overgreased every trip. The test is the temperature of the hub, not the tyre. Generally the tyre will run warmer than a car tyre since it is loaded up pretty heavily.

If the hub is only warm after, say, thirty miles, all is well.

As a matter of interst, I always stop after about ten miles and check the temperature of both tyre and hub, just to be certain. Any variation from the norm, or accros the trailer indicates an impending issue.

It is good to get into the habit of feeling the hub at every stop. Gives you confidence that all is well. You will then learn what is normal.

Also, don't dunk the trailer if the hub is hot. That would draw water into the bearing.

Hope that helps.
Old 15 May 2008, 17:00   #3

During the trip home I did check the hubs after about 50 miles and they were 'warm' which I thought was pretty normal considering I was traveling at about 65mph on the motorway. Guess it's probably over greasing as I suspected.

At least you've put my mind at rest, thanks Jabs
Old 16 May 2008, 10:33   #4

Town: Worcester
Make: Northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115hp Yam 4 stroke
MMSI: 235063097
I expect the grease on the your wheels is coming out of the the bearings. The bearings have a sealing ring at the back and if too much grease is pumped into the hub, it forces out past this rear seal. Keep the grease topped up (with a good waterproof marine grease) to stop water enterings the bearings and you should be OK.

It would however be worth jacking up the axle, to get the wheel off the ground, and trying to rock the wheel from side to side. If there is any play, the bearings are wearing and should be changed.
Old 16 May 2008, 10:44   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickdog View Post
It would however be worth jacking up the axle, to get the wheel off the ground, and trying to rock the wheel from side to side. If there is any play, the bearings are wearing and should be changed.
I agree, to be safe I also think it's gonna be a good idea to check for any play.

Cheers fella!